Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
I need YOUR opinion about verification through SMS
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

I need YOUR opinion about verification through SMS

cociucociu Member, Provider
edited April 2015 in General

as the title says .. you agree to buy hosting from a site that requires checking account via sms?

Comments

  • NekkiNekki Moderator

    I personally don't have an issue; some providers do randomly implement SMS verification on new accounts.

    It does need to be made clear that when you hand over a phone number that it's going to be used for verification though.

    Thanked by 2Traffic ricardo

    Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

  • No.

    But verification through say. Authy who have SMS and app auth would be better.

    Different.

  • @cociu said:
    as the title says .. you agree to buy hosting from a site that requires checking account via sms?

    Yes. But as @Nekki said, it is important that you state so before the order.

    I might not have the phone I provide on hand - but if you ask for verification, I can provide a phone where I'm reachable at that specific moment.

    vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

  • I'm ok for sms verification, think i do it last with online.net

    Years ago wen i was a cutomer buying vps on some billing scripts it was always unclear to me how number is should be with + with 00 or system will get country code from country selection

    so clear that,

    OpenVz Node + KernelCare uptime - 1275 Days :)

  • You think people can't get temporary SMS number for a few cents to complete verification? Bad idea, really.

    Trying to be positive and friendly :)

  • I guess sms verification would be better than geo-location fraud detection anyhow

  • @alexvolk said:
    You think people can't get temporary SMS number for a few cents to complete verification? Bad idea, really.

    And free :)

    But it's a matter of making it more difficult / expensive for the bad guys to access a service.

    vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

  • SMS verification is okay, but now a days with twilio you can get a temporary number that expires in a few hours 100% free.

    Kwicero LTD
    Company no. 09475165
    KwiBill Billing Automation Software: Click here

  • You think people can't get temporary SMS number for a few cents to complete verification? Bad idea, really.

    There's ways around everything, but a simple SMS verification can mitigate systemised abuse. Having something unique to a sign up process is a good thing and raising the barrier to entry a little is worth it IMO.

  • NyrNyr Member

    I don't think is really useful since as others said is easy to bypass. You also need to consider that sometimes gateways do fail and you end losing conversions.

    And some customers simply don't want the trouble.

  • @KwiceroLTD said:
    SMS verification is okay, but now a days with twilio you can get a temporary number that expires in a few hours 100% free.

    Not had a chance to try this with DIDs like Twilio's, but maybe the data would help solve that?

    https://www.nexmo.com/product/number-insight/

    vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

  • Traffic said: Not had a chance to try this with DIDs like Twilio's, but maybe the data would help solve that?

    Highly unlikely. On a side note: some providers since maxmind discontinued their verification service (sms/phone), are using twilio api for verifying people.

    Kwicero LTD
    Company no. 09475165
    KwiBill Billing Automation Software: Click here

  • I don't think this is a good idea!

  • Once you decide to do something, you shouldn't go with half baked solutions.

    DNA verification for example would be great - a liter of blood would do the trick, plus you can resell 3/4 of it to some Vampire institution (call your local IRS charter for details).

    Another fantastic one is semen. Hosts should ask for a healthy chunk of semen sample, so that if you fail to meet the payments, they could clone you and take the money from your clone.

    How's that for innovative solutions?

  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

    deadbeef said: Another fantastic one is semen. Hosts should ask for a healthy chunk of semen sample, so that if you fail to meet the payments, they could clone you and take the money from your clone.

    Great ideas. I can see that one being a problem with females, though. :)

    Thanked by 1deadbeef

    vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

    I hate SMS anything

    (((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

    ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

  • @Traffic said:
    I can see that being a problem with females, though. :)

    True. I had not thought of that :|

    Upon reflection though, it could be an advantage more than not! Those rare female vps hoarders would be inspired to ask for ... donations from male volunteers. A host could even make a dating site ("heyhandsomebuymeaserver.com" is free!) and profit even more!

    Thanked by 1Traffic
  • the sms required to verify will not always get delivered. not everyone will wait for this and they just move on to another provider that doesnt depend on this crappy system.

    Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2015

    So all you guys that think that asking for a working phone number for verification is too much, would you rather prefer to have to send a scanned copy of your ID for verification?

    Thanked by 1yomero

    -

  • @rds100 said:
    So all you guys that think that asking for a working phone number for verification is too much, would you rather prefer to have to send a scanned copy of your ID for verification?

    How about none of that? I don't remember say Ebay or Amazon asking me for anything of those.

  • @rds100 said:
    So all you guys that think that asking for a working phone number for verification is too much, would you rather prefer to have to send a scanned copy of your ID for verification?

    why phone verification anyways? we all could buy/take cheap sim cards on the fly and throw them away after use. it doesn't look like anything to hold on to for the provider.

  • deadbeef said: How about none of that? I don't remember say Ebay or Amazon asking me for anything of those.

    How about your internet provider at home? How about your phone company? Did they ask you for some identification when you bought a service from them?

    Thanked by 1yomero

    -

  • Mark_R said: why phone verification anyways? we all could buy/take cheap sim cards on the fly and throw them away after use. it doesn't look like anything to hold on to for the provider.

    Because tax / VAT for instance. We need to make sure you are in the country you claim to be, and charge VAT accordingly.

    Thanked by 1yomero

    -

  • @rds100 said:
    How about your internet provider at home? How about your phone company? Did they ask you for some identification when you bought a service from them?

    Yes they did, they're obligated by the local law. You have "know your customer" laws for selling servers where you live?

  • deadbeef said: Yes they did, they're obligated by the local law. You have "know your customer" laws for selling servers where you live?

    Not if the servers are not connected to the internet. But if we are providing an internet connection to the servers, this is almost the same as providing you with a home internet line, don't you think?

    -

  • NomadNomad Member

    I think that's acceptable. Phone numbers are not as easily disposable as it's with email addresses and legally it can underneath more info than a possible fake persona.

    At least in most places. We don't have any burner phones here and you have to provide an ID to get a number.

    I don't think post spammers will go under the trouble of getting a new phone number for each account they have. Even if it's a tiny bit, it might help you with decreasing the number of trash you have.

    Thanked by 2TheKiller NeoXiD

    ...
    ...

  • @Nomad said:
    I think that's acceptable. Phone numbers are not as easily disposable as it's with email addresses and legally it can underneath more info than a possible fake persona.

    At least in most places. We don't have any burner phones here and you have to provide an ID to get a number.

    I don't think post spammers will go under the trouble of getting a new phone number for each account they have. Even if it's a tiny bit, it might help you with decreasing the number of trash you have.

    I totally agree with Nomad, its easy to get a email address but not the cell number. SMS verification will reduce spam users.

  • XIAOSpider97XIAOSpider97 Member, Provider

    I think this can reduce spammers too.

    But... I am in China, where int'l SMSes are hard to receive...

    Online.net's SMS verification message is sent from a HK number... how can it work?

    Pump Cloud has been sold on Sep 1 2018.

  • @XIAOSpider97 said:
    But... I am in China, where int'l SMSes are hard to receive...

    A perfect system would involve several gateways, and a different one would be tried on each try - and it would learn after X failed attemps for an specific operator/country to choose the best route.

    There are always ways to make things work :)

    vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

  • Nomad said: We don't have any burner phones here and you have to provide an ID to get a number.

    Where do you live, that sounds horrid!

    Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • vfusevfuse Member, Provider

    You could combine this with 2FA so that it improves users security at the same time. More users will probably go along with it then plus they will enter a valid number since they will lose access to their account without it.

    NIXStats monitoring Web, Server(Linux, Windows - $9.95/m), Logging (Free!) and Blacklists (start at 512 for $3.75/m) - Uptime Report - API Docs

  • NomadNomad Member

    @linuxthefish said:
    Where do you live, that sounds horrid!

    Turkey, though in the past I lived in Korea for a year as well and it was a similar experience.

    I don't think it's that bad. That's a 5-10 year old law actually I don't recall having a need for a disposable number from then till now. Except when I had some mischievous thoughts. (:

    ...
    ...

  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

    @linuxthefish said:
    Where do you live, that sounds horrid!

    Here is Spain there are laws for that as well. No anonymous cell phones.

    vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

  • Here in Bulgaria we don't have anonymous cell phones either. You can buy a prepaid SIM card but it must be registered with an ID card before it can be used.

    -

  • WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

    No such law in Austria, buy sim in store with cash (or at some turkish mobile shop, no cams there) and use.

  • in the Netherlands you can buy phones and sim cards without ID. the only time I had to show my ID was to start a contract with KPN for 4g mobile internet.

  • Online.net's SMS verification message is sent from a HK number... how can it work?

  • NekkiNekki Moderator

    @mortezar said:
    Online.net's SMS verification message is sent from a HK number... how can it work?

    Magic?

    Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

  • rokokrokok Member

    Sms for new provider / small business just make it worst. People just want simple as possible when purchasing stuff.

    If you big enough and has decent reputation that might acceptable

    CEO of PT. Rokok Kopi Internet Tidur Tbk.

  • @rds100 said:
    Not if the servers are not connected to the internet. But if we are providing an internet connection to the servers, this is almost the same as providing you with a home internet line, don't you think?

    Doesn't matter what I think ("no, it's not"), what matters is if there's a law that forces you to or not. Is there?

  • @deadbeef in addition to law, there is also common sense. The common sense tells me that we don't want to have anonymous customers that don't want any verification at all. Such customers might bring some money short term, but would be very bad for the busyness long term. We care for the long term much more than we care for the short term.

    -

  • @rds100 said:
    deadbeef in addition to law, there is also common sense. The common sense tells me that we don't want to have anonymous customers that don't want any verification at all. Such customers might bring some money short term, but would be very bad for the busyness long term. We care for the long term much more than we care for the short term.

    Ah, so we're settled that there's no binding law. Good.

    Now, for the common sense part, that's a business decision. You judge that it is a business decision that best fits your company. Awesome, absolutely no complaint there.

    Now I suppose you will agree that since on this matter, businesses are free to chose their practices and consumers are free to choose which one they like best, it's a pretty clear thing. You do what you think best for your business and the customer will do what he thinks better for himself. I, as a customer, get pissed off by phone/id/semen verification processes. You, as a business, don't. We're both perfectly correct in our views.

    Thanked by 1rds100
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Provider

    I personally dislike having to do SMS verification, especially when my phone is dead.

    I also don't like doing that with startups. Signing up for gmail is an entirely different story.

  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

    Only if the provider is a not small personal company, not a new venture, a registered company with full details about when started, the location, the offices and, preferably, some photos / proofs of the actual location existing.
    For a company like yours with minimum details about it, then, paying details are more than enough (no offence)

    I am here occasionally nowadays, because I really prefer https://talk.lowendspirit.com . You should try it, it is fat-free, delicious with fresh ingredients combined with the deep knowledge of the old chefs!

Sign In or Register to comment.