Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need YOUR opinion about verification through SMS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need YOUR opinion about verification through SMS

cociucociu Member
edited April 2015 in General

as the title says .. you agree to buy hosting from a site that requires checking account via sms?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I personally don't have an issue; some providers do randomly implement SMS verification on new accounts.

It does need to be made clear that when you hand over a phone number that it's going to be used for verification though.

Thanked by 2Traffic ricardo
  • No.

But verification through say. Authy who have SMS and app auth would be better.

• @cociu said:
    as the title says .. you agree to buy hosting from a site that requires checking account via sms?

Yes. But as @Nekki said, it is important that you state so before the order.

I might not have the phone I provide on hand - but if you ask for verification, I can provide a phone where I'm reachable at that specific moment.

• I'm ok for sms verification, think i do it last with online.net

Years ago wen i was a cutomer buying vps on some billing scripts it was always unclear to me how number is should be with + with 00 or system will get country code from country selection

so clear that,

• You think people can't get temporary SMS number for a few cents to complete verification? Bad idea, really.

• I guess sms verification would be better than geo-location fraud detection anyhow

• @alexvolk said:
    You think people can't get temporary SMS number for a few cents to complete verification? Bad idea, really.

And free :)

But it's a matter of making it more difficult / expensive for the bad guys to access a service.

• SMS verification is okay, but now a days with twilio you can get a temporary number that expires in a few hours 100% free.

• You think people can't get temporary SMS number for a few cents to complete verification? Bad idea, really.

There's ways around everything, but a simple SMS verification can mitigate systemised abuse. Having something unique to a sign up process is a good thing and raising the barrier to entry a little is worth it IMO.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I don't think is really useful since as others said is easy to bypass. You also need to consider that sometimes gateways do fail and you end losing conversions.

And some customers simply don't want the trouble.

• @KwiceroLTD said:
    SMS verification is okay, but now a days with twilio you can get a temporary number that expires in a few hours 100% free.

Not had a chance to try this with DIDs like Twilio's, but maybe the data would help solve that?

https://www.nexmo.com/product/number-insight/

• Traffic said: Not had a chance to try this with DIDs like Twilio's, but maybe the data would help solve that?

Highly unlikely. On a side note: some providers since maxmind discontinued their verification service (sms/phone), are using twilio api for verifying people.

• I don't think this is a good idea!

• Once you decide to do something, you shouldn't go with half baked solutions.

DNA verification for example would be great - a liter of blood would do the trick, plus you can resell 3/4 of it to some Vampire institution (call your local IRS charter for details).

Another fantastic one is semen. Hosts should ask for a healthy chunk of semen sample, so that if you fail to meet the payments, they could clone you and take the money from your clone.

How's that for innovative solutions?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

deadbeef said: Another fantastic one is semen. Hosts should ask for a healthy chunk of semen sample, so that if you fail to meet the payments, they could clone you and take the money from your clone.

Great ideas. I can see that one being a problem with females, though. :)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I hate SMS anything

• @Traffic said:
    I can see that being a problem with females, though. :)

True. I had not thought of that :|

Upon reflection though, it could be an advantage more than not! Those rare female vps hoarders would be inspired to ask for ... donations from male volunteers. A host could even make a dating site ("heyhandsomebuymeaserver.com" is free!) and profit even more!

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • the sms required to verify will not always get delivered. not everyone will wait for this and they just move on to another provider that doesnt depend on this crappy system.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2015

So all you guys that think that asking for a working phone number for verification is too much, would you rather prefer to have to send a scanned copy of your ID for verification?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @rds100 said:
    So all you guys that think that asking for a working phone number for verification is too much, would you rather prefer to have to send a scanned copy of your ID for verification?

How about none of that? I don't remember say Ebay or Amazon asking me for anything of those.

• @rds100 said:

why phone verification anyways? we all could buy/take cheap sim cards on the fly and throw them away after use. it doesn't look like anything to hold on to for the provider.

• deadbeef said: How about none of that? I don't remember say Ebay or Amazon asking me for anything of those.

How about your internet provider at home? How about your phone company? Did they ask you for some identification when you bought a service from them?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Mark_R said: why phone verification anyways? we all could buy/take cheap sim cards on the fly and throw them away after use. it doesn't look like anything to hold on to for the provider.

Because tax / VAT for instance. We need to make sure you are in the country you claim to be, and charge VAT accordingly.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @rds100 said:
    How about your internet provider at home? How about your phone company? Did they ask you for some identification when you bought a service from them?

Yes they did, they're obligated by the local law. You have "know your customer" laws for selling servers where you live?

• deadbeef said: Yes they did, they're obligated by the local law. You have "know your customer" laws for selling servers where you live?

Not if the servers are not connected to the internet. But if we are providing an internet connection to the servers, this is almost the same as providing you with a home internet line, don't you think?

• NomadNomad Member

I think that's acceptable. Phone numbers are not as easily disposable as it's with email addresses and legally it can underneath more info than a possible fake persona.

At least in most places. We don't have any burner phones here and you have to provide an ID to get a number.

I don't think post spammers will go under the trouble of getting a new phone number for each account they have. Even if it's a tiny bit, it might help you with decreasing the number of trash you have.

Thanked by 2TheKiller NeoXiD
  • @Nomad said:
    I think that's acceptable. Phone numbers are not as easily disposable as it's with email addresses and legally it can underneath more info than a possible fake persona.

At least in most places. We don't have any burner phones here and you have to provide an ID to get a number.

I don't think post spammers will go under the trouble of getting a new phone number for each account they have. Even if it's a tiny bit, it might help you with decreasing the number of trash you have.

I totally agree with Nomad, its easy to get a email address but not the cell number. SMS verification will reduce spam users.

• I think this can reduce spammers too.

But... I am in China, where int'l SMSes are hard to receive...

Online.net's SMS verification message is sent from a HK number... how can it work?

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    But... I am in China, where int'l SMSes are hard to receive...

A perfect system would involve several gateways, and a different one would be tried on each try - and it would learn after X failed attemps for an specific operator/country to choose the best route.

There are always ways to make things work :)

• Nomad said: We don't have any burner phones here and you have to provide an ID to get a number.

Where do you live, that sounds horrid!

Thanked by 1Mark_R