Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need best backup solution (crashplan is slow)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need best backup solution (crashplan is slow)

camjac251camjac251 Member
edited March 2015 in General

I am currently using Crashplan and it has been super slow for the past 6 months. barely going 2.5 megabits per second when my usual upload is 85mbps. I am looking for a better backup solution that wouldn't cause my computer to slow down, which is what I feel CP is doing to my CPU and Hard Drive. Backblaze won't work since they remove files you delete after 30 days, which defeats the whole purpose of the term "Backup".

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

said: 2.5 megabits per second

Wow, they improved 2.5 times since i used it...

Thanked by 2TarZZ92 spammy
  • camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited March 2015

@Maounique said:

Do you use anything now?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

camjac251 said: Do you use anything now?

Ugh, hard to say, not a specific service, no, but I backup in various places, my main locations are 2 homes and one coloed server. Even with regular network speed (100 mbps in france/italy/holland), it is still too slow for my needs, so I am doing it locally, in romania.
    If teh russians will nuke Bucharest and Ploiesti, I am done, but there would be more pressing problems to worry about at that time or none at all. Besides, it is unlikely the rest of europe will survive either, so will have to have backups in china, japan, US and South Africa too.

• spammyspammy Member
    edited March 2015

@MarkTurner does R1soft works with regular PCs for like personal PC backup (Windows 7 PC)? Can I use my own encryption keys? Pretty interested in looking into this since this is essentially way cheaper than Crashplan.

• @camjac251

you can try livedrive (livedrive.com)
    Pogoplug Unlimited (Unlimited speed till you get to 1TB after its about 5Mbit)

• @spammy - I am testing it on a Windows 7 notebook right now. You can use AES-256 encryption on the disk safe to secure your data on the backup server; and also the in-flight traffic is encrypted using a key generated on the client and sent to the server during setup.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • @spammy - Try it, its free for the first month.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • +1 for R1soft from Delimiter

Fast and great. Fast from the EU too.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @ZweiTiger - you should change your sig - Premium SSD InterWorx-Cloudlinux-DDOS protected Shared Provider +[, Realtime R1Soft Backup]

• @MarkTurner said:
    spammy - I am testing it on a Windows 7 notebook right now. You can use AES-256 encryption on the disk safe to secure your data on the backup server; and also the in-flight traffic is encrypted using a key generated on the client and sent to the server during setup.

Thanks, also can R1soft license be shared among multiple PCs or it has to be one PC per license?

• @spammy - 1 license - 1 server/pc

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited March 2015

MarkTurner said: you should change your sig - Premium SSD InterWorx-Cloudlinux-DDOS protected Shared Provider +[, Realtime R1Soft Backup]

Can't complain with you guys, I was using my own server and license for R1Soft but seen as yours combined was cheaper than the license itself thought why not!

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @Hyperspeed - have you already ordered this service?

• MarkTurner said: have you already ordered this service?

Have indeed, I ordered it two days ago, no issues that I can point out and support replied quickly although I didn't need it after-all, managed to fix it but their willingness was admired.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@markturner do you cut deals at higher bandwidth allotments or term commitments?

Looking for about 1TB to start possibly going up to 4 or so.

• I am looking for a consumer version, with Delimiter it's $40! for 1TB a month. All I need is a backup solution that I can use to backup everything on my hard drive and have it be there even after deleting it so if I needed it later, it's there.

• @agoldenberg - there are no bandwidth quotas, its unmetered. You just pay for diskspace.

Given that Yomura was not aiming this product at the lowend market hence NetApp storage backend, I doubt there will be any discounts on it. The cost in my opinion is way too low for NetApp storage, its ridiculous. This product, at this price, should have be sold on regular storage servers, but Delimiter has cut priced our enterprise grade product.

• Is this offer still active?
    I currently have stuff split over copy.com, dropbox, etc would be nice to put it together.

The website seems to want to bill me for the first month though?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@markturner I was half asleep when I said bandwidth I meant disk space lol

• @krs360 use coupon R1FIRSTMONTHFREE at checkout

• @agoldenberg :) Give it a shot and see how you go with it. If you just test the 100GB for one month, its free.

• @camjac251 said:
    I am currently using Crashplan and it has been super slow for the past 6 months. barely going 2.5 megabits per second when my usual upload is 85mbps. I am looking for a better backup solution that wouldn't cause my computer to slow down, which is what I feel CP is doing to my CPU and Hard Drive. Backblaze won't work since they remove files you delete after 30 days, which defeats the whole purpose of the term "Backup".

Backupsy 250GB + owncloud or similar $6/mo many locations.

• Also check volumedrive I got a quad i7 16gb dedi 1tb @ 100mbps unmetered for 14.99/mo for past 5 months now.

• I'm using crashplan and whilst I have enough overhead in the CPU RAM and Disk IO my upload speed has very steadily dropped from 14Mbps which was my upload speed limit to 2Mbps. It seems to correlate to the amount of data backed up (~2TB). I tried to implement a "fix" for slow uploads (published here: networkrockstar.ca/2013/09/speeding-up-crashplan-backups/) but when I add it or remove it the upload speed remains the same. I suspect that by design you can upload merrily for smallish amounts of data but as you increasingly become a burden on their business model, the amount of data that you can backup per day reduces proportionately. I could be wrong as I don't know anyone that I can compare notes with. Are there any well priced alternatives to Crashplan that have a clear and reliable model that I can predict as my data grows?

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited April 2015

@adrianlambert said:
    I'm using crashplan and whilst I have enough overhead in the CPU RAM and Disk IO my upload speed has very steadily dropped from 14Mbps which was my upload speed limit to 2Mbps. It seems to correlate to the amount of data backed up (~2TB). I tried to implement a "fix" for slow uploads (published here: networkrockstar.ca/2013/09/speeding-up-crashplan-backups/) but when I add it or remove it the upload speed remains the same. I suspect that by design you can upload merrily for smallish amounts of data but as you increasingly become a burden on their business model, the amount of data that you can backup per day reduces proportionately. I could be wrong as I don't know anyone that I can compare notes with. Are there any well priced alternatives to Crashplan that have a clear and reliable model that I can predict as my data grows?

I'm currently using BackBlaze, only downside is once you delete something, its deleted from the back 30 days after. My speed is 3mbps.

• @adrianlambert - which OS are you backing up and how much data?