Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Raspberry Pi Colo
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Raspberry Pi Colo

patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Hi,

does anyone know some providers with Raspberry Pi Colocation?

(I know Edis, PCExtreme, retrosnub)

Regards

RIPE NCC member | IPv4 & IPv6 & ASN: https://www.ipv4.ch/ | 5x /24 available |

Comments

• Are these really worth colocating?

• kcaj said: Are these really worth colocating?

Can you imagine a Raspberry Pi Cabinet?

• DalekOfSkaro said: Can you imagine a Raspberry Pi Cabinet?

On a tray maybe, the amount of power supply units/ports you'll need will be crazy.

These aren't capable of doing anything that an LEB won't do, so why bother?

• wychwych Member
      edited January 2015

Homebrew racks are cool ;)

Taking a hiatus.

• rm_rm_ Member

DalekOfSkaro said: Can you imagine a Raspberry Pi Cabinet?

Can you clarify what exactly is/was your point?

from http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-colocation/

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Yes, it is worth. Perfect for a small nameserver, if you only trust in your own hardware (like me ;-))

Already have one @pcextreme.

Thanked by 2Janevski bharatwaj

• rm_ said: Can you clarify what exactly is/was your point?

My point is that I agree with @kcaj... What's the benefit of colocating a Raspberry Pi? What does it offer that makes it so unique you'd use it over a real low-cost LEB?

The comment held a bit of sarcasm to be honest, but I meant no disrespect to OP. My personal opinion is that RasPi colocation may not have many benefits. There's no IPMI or KVM Console, if anything goes wrong you have to get remote hands involved etc... But I could be wrong :)

• @DalekOfSkaro I can see the appeal to those that don't like running on VPS's or un-owned hardware but it isn't something I would personally do with my Pi.

Taking a hiatus.

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
      edited January 2015

wych said: @DalekOfSkaro I can see the appeal to those that don't like running on VPS's or un-owned hardware but it isn't something I would personally do with my Pi.

RasPis are awesome, I am not suggesting otherwise. But personally, if I were to colocate something tiny for personal use, I'd colocate a Nuc. At home, instead of using RasPi I'd use Nuc too... But that's just me.

Thanked by 1arda
    • @patrick7 we don't offer colo but you can rent a fully working Raspberry Pi micro server from us. With remote power control, rescue mode, automatic reinstalls, etc.

-

@berndy2001
      Thanks, some of them I already saw before.
      Unfortunately, some provide only shared IPs with natted ports :-(

• rm_rm_ Member

DalekOfSkaro said: What's the benefit of colocating a Raspberry Pi? What does it offer that makes it so unique you'd use it over a real low-cost LEB?

Agreed, but my proposed "competitor" would be not a low-cost LEB, but the Kimsufi KS1.

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
      edited January 2015

And also mivitec.de:

see http://www.rz-muenchen.de/en/free-raspberry-colo

-> Sorry: this seems to have been mentionned already ...

• @rds100 said:
      patrick7 we don't offer colo but you can rent a fully working Raspberry Pi micro server from us. With remote power control, rescue mode, automatic reinstalls, etc.

where is this pi located?any test ip?

• rds100rds100 Member
      edited January 2015

robohost said: where is this pi located?any test ip?

Located in Varna, Bulgaria. Test ip https://www.fitvps.com/test-ip
      The test IP is not hosted on a raspberry Pi though :) The raspberries can't sustain large network speed due to the fact that their internal network card is USB based.

-

• I'll colo your RPi in my basement.

Signatures are to identify who I am. I'm me. Who the hell are you?

• rds100 said: The test IP is not hosted on a raspberry Pi though :) The raspberries can't sustain large network speed due to the fact that their internal network card is USB based.

What is the typical sustainable network speed? Just curious.

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• raindog308 said: What is the typical sustainable network speed? Just curious.

Just did the standard "cachefly 100mb download" test and it pulled between 40 and 50Mbps (did several tests). The same test on the same network but different more powerful hardware can pull a lot more.

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome

-

• Well anyone interested in this sort of colo, can do £4/mo + VAT on this sort of device..

• cassacassa Member, Provider

Or, use the rbpi as its built for, place it in your home, have fun, direct access and only pay $5 a year for the power costst

Thanked by 1deadbeef

ik moet poepen

• we can provide colocation for a Raspberry Pi no problem, just contact just for a quote as this is a first for us!

OpticServers LTD - Privately Owned Hardware - Own Managed Network - DDoS Protection - Uk Based - Own Datacenter - Custom Billing & VPS Control Panel

• @OpticServers said:
      we can provide colocation for a Raspberry Pi no problem, just contact just for a quote as this is a first for us!

Are you able to give us a ball park figure?

Including costs for everything such as remote hands , bw, power etc..

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider
      edited January 2015

How about one of these :)

• @cassa said:
      Or, use the rbpi as its built for, place it in your home, have fun, direct access and only pay $5 a year for the power costst

Sounds good. How would you like to consume services from my RPi with 100KB/s upload speed (if you are lucky)?

• elwebmaster said: Sounds good. How would you like to consume services from my RPi with 100KB/s upload speed (if you are lucky)?

Dude, I probably wouldn't want to consume services from your RPi if it was in Google's data center. They're not really designed to be servers.

Thanked by 2cassa Mark_R

• @raindog308 said:

They are doing fine transcoding 720p MPEG2 to H264 for me. I wouldn't waste precious CPU cycles of a powerful machine for such job.

What does it mean for a hardware to be "designed" to be server? Aside from the Xeon's, I can't think of many other architectures "designed" for servers, yet people are achieving great results with Atoms, Via's, ARMs, etc. Anything can be a server if its price/performance ratio is suitable for the task.

Thanked by 1rm_
    • elwebmaster said: hey are doing fine transcoding 720p MPEG2 to H264 for me. I wouldn't waste precious CPU cycles of a powerful machine for such job.

Yeah, and how does it do with other codecs? :-)

The reason H264 works is a specialized video processor onboard. It's not like the RPi is a good general media transcoder system.

What does it mean for a hardware to be "designed" to be server?

It means it scales to handling multiple concurrent users. Put a MySQL database on your RPi and throw 100 users concurrently working with the DB and it will melt. Your typical Xeon will not.

Your typical Atom/Via/NUC/i3/i5/i7 is designed to be a single-user system. A Xeon is designed to be a multi-user system. Sure you can use either for either purpose but your i5's mobo will be more add-on friendly (as a desktop user would want) while a Xeon's will be more enterprise-feature friendly (multiple NICs, multiple power supplies, SAS HDs, etc.) So you know, "designed" :-)

Aside from the Xeon's, I can't think of many other architectures "designed" for servers,

IBM POWER, IBM z/OS, IBM eServer, HP Itanium, Oracle/Fujitsu SPARC, whatever AMD is selling for servers these days, etc.

yet people are achieving great results with Atoms, Via's, ARMs, etc. Anything can be a server if its price/performance ratio is suitable for the task.

OK, yes, in a sense a Coleco Adam can be a server but "designed" to be a server means, well, designed to be a server. My home PC is fine as a home file server for a half dozen people periodically browsing pictures, but it has SATA disk (not enterprise-grade), an i7 (not a Xeon), a single realtek NIC (ugh), no HA features, non-ECC RAM, etc. I wouldn't put it in a datacenter and try to run a high traffic site off of it.

I have nothing against the RPi (I own one) but it's a 700Mhz SoC running on a single HD at best - putting it in a DC and expecting it to perform as a server is kind of silly.

Which isn't to say it wouldn't be fun or shouldn't be done, of course :-)

Thanked by 2Mark_R deadbeef

• cassacassa Member, Provider

The reason the Raspberry Pi was built is that you can learn from programming. It has GPIO pins and a HDMI output which can't be really used in a datacenter. Why would you even colocate it, when you can get a VPS for €5/year with is faster and you'll still have a Raspberry Pi at your home.

Thanked by 1deadbeef

ik moet poepen

• Anyone willing to colocate the Odroid-C1? Same Price, Same Size, much more powerful! hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G141578608433

Thanked by 1aglodek
    • @bohdans said:
      Anyone willing to colocate the Odroid-C1? Same Price, Same Size, much more powerful! hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G141578608433

Pretty sure many providers can do it.

• @cassa said:
      Why would you even colocate it, when you can get a VPS for €5/year with is faster and you'll still have a Raspberry Pi at your home.

You can run the Pi at 100% CPU load 24/7 and not get kicked out. Yes, it is an ARM, but you can overclock it to 1GHz. Then if you deploy 4 RPi's it's like having a 4 core ARM :)

There are some uses (fuse, ipsec vpn, etc) which don't work on OpenVZ. You could get a KVM but then again come the CPU load restrictions.

All things considered, aside from transcoding, I think the Online.net Labs ARM dedis will be better than colocated Pi's, if competitively priced.

• rm_rm_ Member

MSPNick said: Pretty sure many providers can do it.

The question here is will the price make any sense, or will it be like your "£4/mo + VAT" which ends up being more expensive than just renting a KS1.

edited January 2015

Yes, that's true. But as I said already before, I don't trust in others hardware or vps systems. I'd like to have my own hardware, even it's a Raspberry Pi. I also know that it is not designed for server use, so I don't run critical services on it.

My raspberries that are in colocation at the moment: Zurich (serial console server), Frankfurt (serial console server), Amsterdam (Nameserver).

My main servers are also in colocation (First server: Xeon E3-1230v3, 32GB RAM, 4x500GB RAID10, Second server: Xeon E3-1240, 16GB RAM, 2x 500GB, 2x 250GB RAID 1). Networking I do with a MikroTik RB2011UAS-RM, an own AS-Number, leased IPv4 /24 and PI IPv6.

• typh0ntyph0n Member
      edited January 2015

PRQ offers Pi colocation too

http://prq.se/?p=rpi&intl=1

• @rm_ said:
      The question here is will the price make any sense, or will it be like your "£4/mo + VAT" which ends up being more expensive than just renting a KS1.

Even though these are power effective I would need to still pay for ips. I reckon the lowest I can go is £2.50/mo.

• the bandwidth it'll be using
    • @MSPNick said:
      lowest I can go is £2.50/mo

Taking a hiatus.

• aglodekaglodek Member
      edited January 2015

@bohdans said: Anyone willing to colocate the Odroid-C1? Same Price, Same Size, much more powerful!

+1. Yeah! I was about to ask the same thing here :)

EDIT: any problem colocating the Odroid together with RB's (in the same case/rack)?

Same cost with 4x ++ performance like, n'est pas?

Andrew Glodek | Special Projects Director | 香港國際商務中心 HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS CENTRE
    • OpticServersOpticServers Member
      edited January 2015

@ATHK said:
      Including costs for everything such as remote hands , bw, power etc..

Do you know what kind of power they draw in kilo watts? and we would provide you with a 100Mbps Shared unmetered Uplink + the power depending on how much needed for around £5 - 10 per month but that is changeable due to the unique request + how many you are wanting to colocate.

OpticServers LTD - Privately Owned Hardware - Own Managed Network - DDoS Protection - Uk Based - Own Datacenter - Custom Billing & VPS Control Panel

• netomxnetomx Member, Moderator

elwebmaster said: They are doing fine transcoding 720p MPEG2 to H264 for me.

FPS?

MSPNick said: I reckon the lowest I can go is £2.50/mo.

How about the boxes I said in the other thread? Atom Zxxxx ?

• @strikingwebsolutions said:
      located in the USA on the east coast - minutes from NYC!

I heard they hate America and their network is token ring.

• DamianDamian Member

Oh man... you're gonna get banned.

• @Microlinux said:

@strikingwebsolutions said:
      located in the USA on the east coast - minutes from NYC!

I heard they hate America and their network is token ring.

1.5 year necro :(

• With Raspberry pi zero you can plug it directly to the USB port of any computer and it will get network connection. All you need is a computer that's on 24/7 and a small vps to give you external access. Then you just enable internet connection sharing on the PC and you're good to go, you can collocate your own Pi for free.

• dailydaily Member
      edited June 2016

@elwebmaster said:
      With Raspberry pi zero you can plug it directly to the USB port of any computer and it will get network connection. All you need is a computer that's on 24/7 and a small vps to give you external access. Then you just enable internet connection sharing on the PC and you're good to go, you can collocate your own Pi for free.

This might be my most favorite post, ever.

• @daily said:

Explain.

What I meant to say is that many people do have access to computers that are powered on 24/7 but can't use them as servers because they have other purpose. They also may not have ethernet ports available for a normal raspberry pi to plug into. With the zero, it is very discrete to plug it in the back of any computer and a couple of clicks to give it network connection.
      I certainly didn't mean that one should leave a computer powered on for the exclusive purpose of sharing its connection with a raspberry pi.

• dailydaily Member

@elwebmaster said:

@daily said:

Explain.

What I meant to say is that many people do have access to computers that are powered on 24/7 but can't use them as servers because they have other purpose. They also may not have ethernet ports available for a normal raspberry pi to plug into. With the zero, it is very discrete to plug it in the back of any computer and a couple of clicks to give it network connection.
      I certainly didn't mean that one should leave a computer powered on for the exclusive purpose of sharing its connection with a raspberry pi.

Does the power port on the Zero also transmit data? If so, then I apologize, but I couldn't find that it did.

• @daily said:
      Does the power port on the Zero also transmit data? If so, then I apologize, but I couldn't find that it did.

It does. and it acts as a USB ethernet device. That's why I am saying all you have to do is plug it in and turn on internet connection sharing (on Windoiws).

• ATHKATHK Member

The only thing I could find for usb ethernet on the zero is this http://blog.gbaman.info/?p=699

But it's only one way.. apart from that there's not outgoing ethernet over USB @elwebmaster can you back this up with actual proof please.

• @ATHK said:
      The only thing I could find for usb ethernet on the zero is this http://blog.gbaman.info/?p=699

But it's only one way.. apart from that there's not outgoing ethernet over USB @elwebmaster can you back this up with actual proof please.

Download this image: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pizero-usbhost/
      Flash to SD card. Boot the Pi and connect to computer. SSH as [email protected] password raspberry.