Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi Colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi Colo

patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Hi,

does anyone know some providers with Raspberry Pi Colocation?

(I know Edis, PCExtreme, retrosnub)

Regards

Comments

• Are these really worth colocating?

• kcaj said: Are these really worth colocating?

Can you imagine a Raspberry Pi Cabinet?

• DalekOfSkaro said: Can you imagine a Raspberry Pi Cabinet?

On a tray maybe, the amount of power supply units/ports you'll need will be crazy.

These aren't capable of doing anything that an LEB won't do, so why bother?

• wychwych Member
    edited January 2015

Homebrew racks are cool ;)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

DalekOfSkaro said: Can you imagine a Raspberry Pi Cabinet?

Can you clarify what exactly is/was your point?

from http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-colocation/

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Yes, it is worth. Perfect for a small nameserver, if you only trust in your own hardware (like me ;-))

Already have one @pcextreme.

Thanked by 2Janevski bharatwaj
  • rm_ said: Can you clarify what exactly is/was your point?

My point is that I agree with @kcaj... What's the benefit of colocating a Raspberry Pi? What does it offer that makes it so unique you'd use it over a real low-cost LEB?

The comment held a bit of sarcasm to be honest, but I meant no disrespect to OP. My personal opinion is that RasPi colocation may not have many benefits. There's no IPMI or KVM Console, if anything goes wrong you have to get remote hands involved etc... But I could be wrong :)

• @DalekOfSkaro I can see the appeal to those that don't like running on VPS's or un-owned hardware but it isn't something I would personally do with my Pi.

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited January 2015

wych said: @DalekOfSkaro I can see the appeal to those that don't like running on VPS's or un-owned hardware but it isn't something I would personally do with my Pi.

RasPis are awesome, I am not suggesting otherwise. But personally, if I were to colocate something tiny for personal use, I'd colocate a Nuc. At home, instead of using RasPi I'd use Nuc too... But that's just me.

Thanked by 1arda
  • @patrick7 we don't offer colo but you can rent a fully working Raspberry Pi micro server from us. With remote power control, rescue mode, automatic reinstalls, etc.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

@berndy2001
    Thanks, some of them I already saw before.
    Unfortunately, some provide only shared IPs with natted ports :-(

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

DalekOfSkaro said: What's the benefit of colocating a Raspberry Pi? What does it offer that makes it so unique you'd use it over a real low-cost LEB?

Agreed, but my proposed "competitor" would be not a low-cost LEB, but the Kimsufi KS1.

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited January 2015

And also mivitec.de:

see http://www.rz-muenchen.de/en/free-raspberry-colo

-> Sorry: this seems to have been mentionned already ...

• @rds100 said:
    patrick7 we don't offer colo but you can rent a fully working Raspberry Pi micro server from us. With remote power control, rescue mode, automatic reinstalls, etc.

where is this pi located?any test ip?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2015

robohost said: where is this pi located?any test ip?

Located in Varna, Bulgaria. Test ip https://www.fitvps.com/test-ip
    The test IP is not hosted on a raspberry Pi though :) The raspberries can't sustain large network speed due to the fact that their internal network card is USB based.

• I'll colo your RPi in my basement.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rds100 said: The test IP is not hosted on a raspberry Pi though :) The raspberries can't sustain large network speed due to the fact that their internal network card is USB based.

What is the typical sustainable network speed? Just curious.

• raindog308 said: What is the typical sustainable network speed? Just curious.

Just did the standard "cachefly 100mb download" test and it pulled between 40 and 50Mbps (did several tests). The same test on the same network but different more powerful hardware can pull a lot more.

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • Well anyone interested in this sort of colo, can do £4/mo + VAT on this sort of device..

• Or, use the rbpi as its built for, place it in your home, have fun, direct access and only pay $5 a year for the power costst

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • we can provide colocation for a Raspberry Pi no problem, just contact just for a quote as this is a first for us!

• @OpticServers said:
    we can provide colocation for a Raspberry Pi no problem, just contact just for a quote as this is a first for us!

Are you able to give us a ball park figure?

Including costs for everything such as remote hands , bw, power etc..

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

How about one of these :)

• @cassa said:
    Or, use the rbpi as its built for, place it in your home, have fun, direct access and only pay $5 a year for the power costst

Sounds good. How would you like to consume services from my RPi with 100KB/s upload speed (if you are lucky)?

elwebmaster said: Sounds good. How would you like to consume services from my RPi with 100KB/s upload speed (if you are lucky)?

Dude, I probably wouldn't want to consume services from your RPi if it was in Google's data center. They're not really designed to be servers.

Thanked by 2cassa Mark_R
  • @raindog308 said:

They are doing fine transcoding 720p MPEG2 to H264 for me. I wouldn't waste precious CPU cycles of a powerful machine for such job.

What does it mean for a hardware to be "designed" to be server? Aside from the Xeon's, I can't think of many other architectures "designed" for servers, yet people are achieving great results with Atoms, Via's, ARMs, etc. Anything can be a server if its price/performance ratio is suitable for the task.

Thanked by 1rm_

elwebmaster said: hey are doing fine transcoding 720p MPEG2 to H264 for me. I wouldn't waste precious CPU cycles of a powerful machine for such job.

Yeah, and how does it do with other codecs? :-)

The reason H264 works is a specialized video processor onboard. It's not like the RPi is a good general media transcoder system.

What does it mean for a hardware to be "designed" to be server?

It means it scales to handling multiple concurrent users. Put a MySQL database on your RPi and throw 100 users concurrently working with the DB and it will melt. Your typical Xeon will not.

Your typical Atom/Via/NUC/i3/i5/i7 is designed to be a single-user system. A Xeon is designed to be a multi-user system. Sure you can use either for either purpose but your i5's mobo will be more add-on friendly (as a desktop user would want) while a Xeon's will be more enterprise-feature friendly (multiple NICs, multiple power supplies, SAS HDs, etc.) So you know, "designed" :-)

Aside from the Xeon's, I can't think of many other architectures "designed" for servers,

IBM POWER, IBM z/OS, IBM eServer, HP Itanium, Oracle/Fujitsu SPARC, whatever AMD is selling for servers these days, etc.

yet people are achieving great results with Atoms, Via's, ARMs, etc. Anything can be a server if its price/performance ratio is suitable for the task.

OK, yes, in a sense a Coleco Adam can be a server but "designed" to be a server means, well, designed to be a server. My home PC is fine as a home file server for a half dozen people periodically browsing pictures, but it has SATA disk (not enterprise-grade), an i7 (not a Xeon), a single realtek NIC (ugh), no HA features, non-ECC RAM, etc. I wouldn't put it in a datacenter and try to run a high traffic site off of it.

I have nothing against the RPi (I own one) but it's a 700Mhz SoC running on a single HD at best - putting it in a DC and expecting it to perform as a server is kind of silly.

Which isn't to say it wouldn't be fun or shouldn't be done, of course :-)

Thanked by 2Mark_R deadbeef
  • The reason the Raspberry Pi was built is that you can learn from programming. It has GPIO pins and a HDMI output which can't be really used in a datacenter. Why would you even colocate it, when you can get a VPS for €5/year with is faster and you'll still have a Raspberry Pi at your home.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Anyone willing to colocate the Odroid-C1? Same Price, Same Size, much more powerful! hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G141578608433

Thanked by 1aglodek