Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWS to cut prices on EC2, S3, RDS etc some even up to 40%, effective April 1st 2014
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AWS to cut prices on EC2, S3, RDS etc some even up to 40%, effective April 1st 2014

I think this is an answer to Google's latest price reduction.

Comments

• Now waiting for Microsoft Azure to follow the foot steps.

• tchentchen Member

I like the S3 reductions. I had signed up for Dreamobjects but this beats that hands down.

• PickyPicky Member

I wonder if it'll be for new clients only or existing as well

• NSA probably gave even more incentives (due to Edward Snowden leaks) to Google, Microsoft and Amazon so that more users will go up the cheap bait.

Dropbox is using Amazon storage so Dropbox might decrease its prices as well.

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • News of the day!

• The main thing that stops me from using AWS is the 15 cent/GB bandwidth.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@smile93 said:
    Now waiting for Microsoft Azure to follow the foot steps.

They will because they guarantee to match AWS prices.

• If only they'd drop down on EBS.

Thanked by 1sharuu
  • April 1st... this sounds like a one big joke already... I hope it's not.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited March 2014

lewekleonek said: April 1st... this sounds like a one big joke already... I hope it's not.

I got an email months ago about this price reduction from Amazon.

GIANT_CRAB said: NSA probably gave even more incentives

Have you looked into the security of Amazon's servers? If you want, you can setup dedicated encrypt hardware just for your data. They are certified for security in multiple countries.

said: AWS to cut prices on EC2, S3, RDS etc some even up to 40%, effective April 1st 2014

I'm happy about this - plus I somehow I got $50 from Amazon just last week.

• Silvenga said: Have you looked into the security of Amazon's servers? If you want, you can setup dedicated encrypt hardware just for your data. They are certified for security in multiple countries.

Have you watched TED2014?

During the talk Edward Snowden mentioned that encryption still works but RSA should not be trusted with encryption. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_Security#NSA_backdoor)

The government is sniffing on all networking on inbound and outbound (NSA is working with Level3, etc...).

But what gives - liberty and privacy no longer exists since 1970s.

• GIANT_CRAB said: During the talk Edward Snowden mentioned that encryption still works but RSA should not be trusted with encryption. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_Security#NSA_backdoor)

There is a company called RSA Security, but there is also a cryptosystem called RSA. The algorithms used have actually been discovered 3 times in the past 200 years, by 4 different people. RSA is open source and has many implantations.

There is mathematical evidence that proves the secureness of RSA. The RSA algorithm is also included in some of the most audited software utilities in the world (e.g. OpenSSH). There is no back door in RSA, the algorithm is so simple that we can perform the encryption/decryption on paper, but is so mathematically complex to crack that we have no computer in the world (including China's supercomputer) that is able to crack it within a lifetime. The algorithm is also impervious to any quantum computing attack.

The NSA does not have the electricity or time to perform an attack on a modern RSA cryptotext.

GIANT_CRAB said: But what gives - liberty and privacy no longer exists since 1970s.

We have all the privacy if we all use cryptography in our communications. But we don't, we, the public, are lazy.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB