Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Java Programming Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Java Programming Help

Hi All,
I will have a college assignment (soon), and am now on track with all my assignments and not behind (Blame the girlfriend).

The task will be a stock management system for a hardware shop/warehouse type of thing, this will be done in BlueJ, few questions...

1. How hard will this be to do (I have 18 weeks)
  2. I have a chromebook currently, what spec computer would be OK for just programming, compiling, etc..

I don't particularly want to do the Programming Unit but it's the most popular on the apprenticeship I'm doing so they're making me do it (Tossers).

Let me know guys,

Cheers.

Comments

• Just coming from a person opinion: If it doesn't have to be done in bluej, DON'T DO IT IN BLUEJ. Use eclipse or IDEA. They are both very good IDEs and you will learn alot more if you use them as opposed to bluej.

1. Not too hard.
    2. I'm not too experienced with chromebooks, but is there any reason why you can't do it on your chromebook?
  • Void, not sure if the chromebook is capable unless I put Ubuntu on it and dual boot (if pos)

@Void_Whisperer said:
    Just coming from a person opinion: If it doesn't have to be done in bluej, DON'T DO IT IN BLUEJ. Use eclipse or IDEA. They are both very good IDEs and you will learn alot more if you use them as opposed to bluej.

1. Not too hard.
    2. I'm not too experienced with chromebooks, but is there any reason why you can't do it on your chromebook?
  • sandeepsandeep Member
    edited February 2014

I think you can't do this under ChromeOS you need Ubuntu to run BlueJ ( I think so ).
    http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/
    To the programming I don't think its hard, BlueJ is very user-friendly ...

• @Jacob said:
    Void, not sure if the chromebook is capable unless I put Ubuntu on it and dual boot (if pos)

Well, if you can dualboot ubtuntu, that could work.. I still don't think BlueJ is the best IDE for this though

• @Void_Whisperer said:
    Well, if you can dualboot ubtuntu, that could work.. I still don't think BlueJ is the best IDE for this though

Eclipse is awesome, but not out of the box. A lot of people like Intellij these days.

• @concerto49 said:
    Eclipse is awesome, but not out of the box. A lot of people like Intellij these days.

I've personally slowly transferred from eclipse to intellj/IDEA. Mostly because eclipse is very buggy in some cases (maven)

• Void_Whisperer said: I've personally slowly transferred from eclipse to intellj/IDEA. Mostly because eclipse is very buggy in some cases (maven)

Doesn't use maven and don't want to comment before getting hit about it :)

• Hey, I have a simple Java Program with GUI for managing discounts for registered clients of one store and not registered clients. The con is that it is in portuguese. If you don't mind I can send the .java files to you.

1. How hard will this be to do (I have 18 weeks)
      Depends on your skill and talent. Could be 1 day. Could also be 1 year.

2. I have a chromebook currently, what spec computer would be OK for just programming, compiling, etc..

8gb RAM, i5 or i7.

• I have a chromebook currently, what spec computer would be OK for just programming, compiling, etc..
    >

Anything made in the last decade would be fine.

• If you've never done any programming before, then it's probably going to be a difficult task. If you have a foundation for programming set, then it might take you that full time. I find the hardest part for me is building the GUI for the program, specially in Java (and making it look nice). Have not used BlueJ, but as others said, IntelliJ is the way to go.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There are actually web-based IDEs, though I haven't used them. That could be a chromebook avenue.

I wonder how much time it'd take to hack your Chromebook to boot Ubuntu and chasing whatever bugs you encounter doing that, vs. programming time.

• @raindog308 said:
    There are actually web-based IDEs, though I haven't used them. That could be a chromebook avenue.

The only issue I see with that is compiling it. Waiting until the end doesn't sound like a wise idea.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

True...though the compiling performance on a Chromebook is not going to be that nice, either :-)

• problem with java is the amount of technology need to learn to write a webapp. unlike in php, you will be productive in the first hour.

• I'll give it a go guys, cheers for the comments!

• Ya, I wouldn't use a chromebook...

• Yeah, just gonna loan an HP Ultrabook from work, should be alrighty. (:

Cheers guise.