Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Effective Backup Strategy for your VPS !!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Effective Backup Strategy for your VPS !!!

How To Choose an Effective Backup Strategy for your VPS so there will no problem in the future.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends what you need to back-up.
    For example full metal restore you can use idera backup (we sell it for our customers) which makes full incremental backups of your system and you can restore by mounting an ISO.
    You can save directories and databases (first dump the DB, of course) with many programs, for example duply and duplicity which also encrypts stuff to a simple ftp account.
    It is so simple and in many cases free that there are no excuses for not having backups.

• I think rsync does the job nicely.

• said: so there will no problem in the future.

What do you mean with no problem in the future?
    How long is this future?

• ProTip: An effective backup is not one that involves a SolusVM managed VPS on both sides of the equation. Backup to offline media, or a reliable and proven backup provider (I like rsync.net, but there are many others)

• nixtreenixtree Member
    edited December 2013

depends on what kind of backup you needed. If you need a full restore ( bare metal ), ask your provider whether they provide image backups for your VM. Or if you want to have file level backups, rsync will do the trick ( there are other solutions though; but rsync is simple and free ).

• I typically stick with rsnapshot to a remote system. I backup selected configuration files from /etc, all of /home, /var/log, /var/www, output of a cron executed mysqldump. I can restore from the latest incremental backup, or go back and restore from previous backups by simply restoring config or data files, restart the VM, and I'm good to go.

• tar + scp + cron?

• r1soft hands down, well worth the money.

• I'm personally using bittorrent sync here.

Pretty cool so far.

• novicenovice Member
    edited December 2013

btw, I would like to know,
    If I change a file name in local, but didn't change the file content,
    any tool/solution can discover it and change the file name at remove too,
    instead of delete remove one and copy trans it again?

• LeeLee Veteran

Rsync is really all you need, Duplicity is also a great option.

@kontam - R1Soft is good in some circumstances but for a VPS it's overkill. Besides done right using Rsync or Duplicity you can backup multiple vps regardless of virtualization which R1Soft can't do.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Rsync is really all you need, Duplicity is also a great option.

kontam - R1Soft is good in some circumstances but for a VPS it's overkill. Besides done right using Rsync or Duplicity you can backup multiple vps regardless of virtualization which R1Soft can't do.

There's no overkill when it comes to data backup unless you run a personal blog you don't care about. In that case why back up at all? If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Rsync doesn't support bare-metal restore, web interface, minute increments and causes higher io load when performing backup. You can find agent licenses cheap nowadays.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Kontam - Using R1Soft does not mean you are doing it right. Far from it. Minute increments can be done on Rsync and I know I can achieve lower loads using Rsync than R1Soft.

Given OpenVZ is still by far the more popular visor R1Soft is not an option anyway, the OP does not state what he is using.

So yeah, R1Soft is still overkill for a single VPS given the setup required, cost and widely reported issues it still has.

• @drazilox said:
    tar + scp + cron?

+1, my strategy too.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited December 2013

@kontam said:
    There's no overkill when it comes to data backup unless you run a personal blog you don't care about. In that case why back up at all? If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Rsync doesn't support bare-metal restore, web interface, minute increments and causes higher io load when performing backup. You can find agent licenses cheap nowadays.

Doing it right does not mean relying on a paid solution. I rely on a custom script which dumps databases, and rsyncs them at a set frequency, creates tarballs of web folders, and rsyncs them at a longer interval. At each backup, I get email notifications of the job. If something works, and does the job correctly, in this case, creating a complete backup of my files and databases, it's as good as any other solution that does the job correctly. There is no question of which one does it better, as long as both have the same outcome.

Of course if you prefer a paid solution that simplifies the job for you, that's better for you. For me though, working with my solution involves typing in the list of directories in a text file, adding a task for running a perl script, and sitting back and letting it do the work. In this case, rsync does allow a bare metal restore, provided it's my script that's controlling it. Each backup knows where it's supposed to be restored to, as the script uses a generated backup log to restore files.

Thanked by 3k0nsl Lee wolfman
  • Of course I prefer a paid solution, r1soft is at a whole different level. It cannot be compared with rsync. I have it running on three cpanel servers and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

• rdiff-backup is working fairly well for me.