Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is KS-1 kimsufi/OVH worth it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is KS-1 kimsufi/OVH worth it?

ArkasArkas Moderator

I have it, but the 100mbps cap is very limiting. Is there any other dedis at such a price?

Intel Atom D425 1c/2t 1.8GHz 2GB DDR3 1066 MHz 500Go 100 Mbps /128
I currently use it as a seedbox, have had it for years. Is it worth using for production?

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Wouldnt use a 1 core atom for production. What is your use case?

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2021

Its N2800, so 2 cores + 2 HT.
    Its fine for small applications or a backup server if you are lucky to get one, right now its pretty rare.

If you are lucky, you might end up with a 2TB drive too.

Thanked by 2Arkas rm_
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I need to use it for backend php app. I think my nexusbytes VPS is more powerful.

@Arkas said:
    I need to use it for backend php app. I think my nexusbytes VPS is more powerful.

yeah, it probably is. i would not bother trying to use that for production. it's better if you got a vps for the same price, you will experience better performance. what is your budget/desired specs?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Arkas said: Is it worth using for production?

As I like to say, it depends on what you produce.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I have 2 VPS, one 2 core 2GB and one 4core 4GB.
    The KS1 I use as a seedbox, for maybe 3 years. I was just wondering if such a lowend dedi should be use for projects.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I run a php app for suggesting alternative domains.

@Arkas said:
    I have 2 VPS, one 2 core 2GB and one 4core 4GB.
    The KS1 I use as a seedbox, for maybe 3 years. I was just wondering if such a lowend dedi should be use for projects.

it doesn't hurt to test it if you already have it available

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Yes, that's the best idea. I was wondering if it's a no go because of the 100mbps cap.

100mbps is fine for almost anything really, for a php application i don't see why you would need higher

Thanked by 2Arkas yoursunny
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Also, I've owned it for almost 3 years, I was wondering If it is worth renewing.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@bruh21 said: 100mbps is fine for almost anything really, for a php application i don't see why you would need higher

You are correct. I was going through a "get rid of what you don't use for business phase"

• If you don't want it, I would gladly take it.

@Arkas said:
    Also, I've owned it for almost 3 years, I was wondering If it is worth renewing.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

No, I 'm not selling it lol

Thanked by 1danielcardosopt
  • @Arkas said:
    No, I 'm not selling it lol

Worth the shot 😜 If I were you I would try to get a replacement (2TB) disk. After that I would start "mining" Storj, and maybe after six months would start to get some profit.
    Meanwhile you can still use it has a seedbox.

• Depends how much you pay for kimsufi, if you pay somewhere around 4-5 euros (I dont know the price but assuming low specs though dedicated you must be paying somewhere around what I depicted) It's better to get seedbox from official providers as they will give yoi good ratio with thay money, 100 Mbps ain't sufficient when you race on private trackers. I had kimsufi made seedbox and my average upload per month was not beyond 4-4.5 TB. But with dedicated vps you can do lot more other things, but If it's solely used for seedbox then it's better to move one with some good reputed seedbox providers.

Thanked by 1Arkas

From Availability standpoint, It does beat many VPS's.
    You can get easy a few years of uptime.

I don't know if your PHP application is cpu bound, if so, its likely not a good choice.
    Since the CPU is kinda weak.

• Kimsufi has removed all ubuntu server templates, even the old ones, is there another way to install ubuntu?

• @ight123 said:
    Kimsufi has removed all ubuntu server templates, even the old ones, is there another way to install ubuntu?

Install to a VM locally and dd the resulting disk to the server in rescue mode

Or, not really viable on to the Atom/Celeron boxes, install using qemu with the physical hard disk attached

Thanked by 2ight123 chedenaz
  • i think it is a good idea to wait for ks-3c

@jasonmighty said:
    i think it is a good idea to wait for ks-3c

https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1804sk181

• Not recommended for public-facing services to run with KS especially you only have 1 IP and that might ended up attracting DDoS all the time. You don't know the history of that particular IP.

Backup wise, that is good piece. I have a few KS1/KS2. Go for SYS or other VPS if you can.

• @Neoon said:
    From Availability standpoint, It does beat many VPS's.
    You can get easy a few years of uptime.

Literally had a bit over 6 years of uptime on of these. Planned updates excluded.

This illustrates the biggest ‘problem’ of the KS line though. They’re quite old. It’s time for a new line of very cheap and low end x86 servers.

• Even SYS is using super old HW, gonna take another 10 yrs for KS to have atom 8 cores or E3 or E5.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@mrclown said: Not recommended for public-facing services to run with KS especially you only have 1 IP and that might ended up attracting DDoS all the time. You don't know the history of that particular IP.

I've had it for years, so far no DdOS. I'm running it as a seedbox and to test out some web python scripts, just wondering If it can support a forum, or a medium traffic Wordpress. I guess I can always just try it, but I prefer to know before. I had to wait almost a year to get it.