Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

China government mandates a complete switchover to IPv6 by 2030
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

China government mandates a complete switchover to IPv6 by 2030

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/26/china_single_stack_ipv6_notice/

Or even earlier: "By the end of 2023, new networks won't be allowed to use IPv4"

The end is...?

Thanked by 2default Harambe

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2021

More and more I'm seeing IPv6 used in production. Unfortunately the correlations I'm seeing right now relate more to them knowing that my RBL isn't yet set up for v6. For example, I noticed tonight that Eonix/ServerHub started spinning up their IPv6 as mail servers too, forcing me to move ahead with plans to start blocking spammy IPv6 as well. Suppose even bad actors are good for something.

• What will do all the sys admins that didn't learn how to work with IPv6?
    IMHO that is good news, I run a lot of stuff IPv6 only for some years and with that even the last ape should understand that IPv4 is legacy stuff and only a fallback for very old gear.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

9 Years, who the fuck cares.
    But, if Colocrossong, gets IPv6 in 9 Years, I gonna lunch a partay.

• coldcold Member

its time for @RackNerd to gear up :))

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@user54321 said: What will do all the sys admins that didn't learn how to work with IPv6?

they have 9 years to learn it so whats the problem?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@skorupion said:

@user54321 said: What will do all the sys admins that didn't learn how to work with IPv6?

they have 9 years to learn it so whats the problem?

I don't think its a problem of learning.
    Its more a problem of wrong leadership.

• coldcold Member

@user54321 said:
    What will do all the sys admins that didn't learn how to work with IPv6?

they move to Japan or somewhere, where the people still using ipv4 ?

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said:
    9 Years, who the fuck cares.
    But, if Colocrossong, gets IPv6 in 9 Years, I gonna lunch a partay.

Count me in, I'll bring the beer & chicks

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@stevewatson301 said:
    I blame @yoursunny.

You are allowed to blame me after 301 push-ups.

@rm_ said:
    Or even earlier: "By the end of 2023, new networks won't be allowed to use IPv4"

Most likely there would be 464xlat so that users can still reach IPv4 destinations, just like Verizon Wireless.

@jar said:
    Suppose even bad actors are good for something.

I'm waiting for IPv6 based DDoS attacks.
    @SpartanHost DDoS protection is only enabled on IPv4.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • I wish my country does the same. Ipv6 rocks! Even if it is hard to configure and remember hahaha

• defaultdefault Veteran

@team_traitor said:
    I wish my country does the same. Ipv6 rocks! Even if it is hard to configure and remember hahaha

You remember IPv4?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    I'm waiting for IPv6 based DDoS attacks.
    @SpartanHost DDoS protection is only enabled on IPv4.

Up to now, IPv6 DDoS mitigation seems to be poor across the board and most people involved generally seem disinterested (both hardware/software manufacturers and DDoS mitigation providers), hopefully this changes things.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Not ipv11?

Thanked by 1magicvpn
  • defaultdefault Veteran

IPv4 gets more and more expensive. Switching to IPv6 is the way to go forward.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • notarobonotarobo Member
    edited July 2021

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/04/pentagon-explains-odd-transfer-of-175-million-ip-addresses-to-obscure-company/

anyway if China will stop ipv4 using, you bet big money colocross will have ipv6 very, very soon.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@ericls said:
    Not ipv11?

waiting for IPv69

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Not too surprising, it's a great opportunity for the CCP to gain power and relevance by being the driving force for "innovation" and standardization.

It's a step that has been overdue for years and if the West is too lethargic with implementation, noone can be surprised about someone else being there to step up their game. Great for propaganda as well.

• taizitaizi Member

Most likely there would be 464xlat so that users can still reach IPv4 destinations, just like Verizon Wireless.

you are right, they will provide nat4 address for people
    btw,i hate pure ipv6, the ipv6 network is piece of shit in China
    fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,where is my public ipv4!

• I will disable ipv6 per default on my servers to 2030.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
  • Thank you china!
    BTW: Can anyone here tell me what exactly held the industry back for several million years now? I don't mean switching the world over completely on day X. I just mean everyone getting their own shit ready before the world ends. IPv6 is already ancient in IT time. Everything in IT is permanently changing. Hardware gets replaced, software gets updated, people need to learn more new stuff in a month than people with non-IT jobs learn in their entire career. But IPv6 seems to be as impossible as switching to electric cars. Why?

• JioJio Member

This is entirely so that people can be more trackable with permanently assigned dedicated IPv6

It is that way you don't need to figure out NAT or shared IPs.

Thanked by 3Abd BlaZe bulbasaur
  • DrvDrv Member

Yay, more unsecure IOT's with public ip's.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • PixelsPixels Member
    edited July 2021

@that_guy said:
    Thank you china!
    BTW: Can anyone here tell me what exactly held the industry back for several million years now? I don't mean switching the world over completely on day X. I just mean everyone getting their own shit ready before the world ends. IPv6 is already ancient in IT time. Everything in IT is permanently changing. Hardware gets replaced, software gets updated, people need to learn more new stuff in a month than people with non-IT jobs learn in their entire career. But IPv6 seems to be as impossible as switching to electric cars. Why?

So that they can keep milking out money from those that don't have trillions of IPv4 addresses :)

Thanked by 2that_guy chihcherng
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

@ericls said:
    Not ipv11?

In Italy they used to have IPvI... back in the old days...

sic transit gloria mundi

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

The end is...?

Based.

Thanked by 1Pixels
  • @user54321 said:
    IMHO that is good news, I run a lot of stuff IPv6 only for some years and with that even the last ape should understand that IPv4 is legacy stuff and only a fallback for very old gear.

Laid off and replaced when cheaper people.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@TimboJones said:

@user54321 said:

When domain is too expensive and it's only possible to remember IPv4

• @ezeth said:

@TimboJones said:

@user54321 said:

When domain is too expensive and it's only possible to remember IPv4

Translation, someone?