Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you using your GreenCloud VPS for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are you using your GreenCloud VPS for?

CybrCybr Member

I was gonna to get one of these, since it seemed like a good deal, but then I read their T&Cs and found out that you're not allowed to actually host anything on GreenCloud servers.

Any user may not:
a) Use a full core for longer than 10 minutes every 24 hours.
b) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server.

Disruptive load may result in a reboot, shutdown, and/or suspension of the VPS regardless of the time lapse involved.

So I'm interested in hearing what everyone is using these for, other than idling...

Comments

• drizbodrizbo Member

@Cybr said: b) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server.

>

What does that even mean? So you can only run application while staring into the logs? And shutdown your website when you go to bed ?

Thanked by 1Cybr
  • Ah yes provider enforced idling requirements, my favorite.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Cybr said: b) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server.

In other words: The usage of screen(1) or tmux(1) is strictly forbidden. :lol:

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2021

I have GreenCloudVPS Singapore NVMe as part of my push-ups delivery network.
    I don't have any unattended process on the server - every process is connected to my heartbeat, and will be stopped as soon as I'm dead.

ToS prohibits video streaming also, but the software running on this node is not video streaming - it caches and forwards packets (via UDP or QUIC), and it doesn't know what's inside those packets.
    This is no different from setting up WireGuard and watch YouTube.

Everything is running in Docker and CPU usage is limited to 10% most of the time.

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

This to prevent abusers from abusing our CPU/network.
    You are free to host your sites/etc as long as they do not consume 100% CPU for a long time. We might describe it clearer, will edit the TOS soon.

Thanked by 1wions
  • @dfroe said:

use systemd instead.

Thanked by 2yoursunny mcgree

OK just removed the b) line, this was written to not allow IRC, but it seems causing misunderstanding here.

• jerry_mejerry_me Member
    edited July 2021

@NDTN said:
    OK just removed the b) line, this was written to not allow IRC, but it seems causing misunderstanding here.

I have Gitea and Minio installed on a the storage series, only my private repo, so if I'm not operating it, it does idle.... it seems to comply with TOS, right?

Sometimes it will take up to ten minutes of CPU at maximum load.

@jerry_me said:

@NDTN said:

I have Gitea and Minio installed on a the storage series, only my private repo, so if I'm not operating it, it does idle.... it seems to comply with TOS, right?

It should be fine.

• @yoursunny said:
    I have GreenCloudVPS Singapore NVMe as part of my push-ups delivery network.
    I don't have any unattended process on the server - every process is connected to my heartbeat, and will be stopped as soon as I'm dead.

ToS prohibits video streaming also, but the software running on this node is not video streaming - it caches and forwards packets (via UDP or QUIC), and it doesn't know what's inside those packets.
    This is no different from setting up WireGuard and watch YouTube.

Everything is running in Docker and CPU usage is limited to 10% most of the time.

pacemaker?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@notarobo said:

@yoursunny said:

pacemaker?

I have the tech, you know.
    https://yoursunny.com/t/2018/nRF52-presence/

• @NDTN said:

@jerry_me said:

@NDTN said:

It should be fine.

Can I run directadmin on it and host many wordpress sites?

• Does it mean that I can run some kind  of discord/messenger bot in case the CPU usage doesn't reach 100% .-.

• Idle

• mcgreemcgree Member
    edited July 2021

Backing up my NAS data, 1TB is just right.

it doesn't use more CPU resources at all, and I don't expect it to need to pull it down again one day (when my NAS failure), which is cheaper than some backup services.

• mcgreemcgree Member

@jerry_me said:

@dfroe said:

use systemd instead.

nohup

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Could of opened a ticket and asked the provider! Maybe to much work to do that?

Thanked by 2NDTN vyas11
  • they have a working live chat, you can ask about your application.

Thanked by 1NDTN

@stephfd21 said:

@NDTN said:

@jerry_me said:

@NDTN said:

It should be fine.

Yes.

@hzhoanglee said:
    Does it mean that I can run some kind  of discord/messenger bot in case the CPU usage doesn't reach 100% .-.

Yes.

• dosaidosai Member

@yoursunny said:

What happens when you sneeze?

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@stephfd21 said:

@NDTN said:

@jerry_me said:

@NDTN said:

It should be fine.

I have Gridpane and five WP sites (2 of them production) on Singapore BF offer VPS from GreencloudVPS. No complaints from either side so far :-)

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • @PieHasBeenEaten said: Could of opened a ticket and asked the provider! Maybe to much work to do that?

Sir you mod a forum that drools for drama.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@vyas11 said:

@stephfd21 said:

@NDTN said:

@jerry_me said:

@NDTN said:

It should be fine.

I have Gridpane and five WP sites (2 of them production) on Singapore BF offer VPS from GreencloudVPS. No complaints from either side so far :-)

Gridpane is $200/mo and you use that only for 5 wp sites?

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@cazrz said:

@vyas11 said:

@stephfd21 said:

@NDTN said:

@jerry_me said:

@NDTN said:

It should be fine.

Yes.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I bought the service from LET and I'm using it to access LET, just so it doesn't get homesick.

That's about it really.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@vyas11 said:

@cazrz said:

@vyas11 said:

@stephfd21 said:

@NDTN said:

@jerry_me said:

@NDTN said:

It should be fine.

Yes.

Whats the diff on runcloud except for chat support.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Yes I am stirring the pot a little! But really as much I like drama at times. Laziness is inexcusable.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2021

@cazrz said:

@vyas11 said:

@cazrz said:

@vyas11 said:

@stephfd21 said:

@NDTN said:

@jerry_me said:

@NDTN said:

It should be fine.

Yes.

Whats the diff on runcloud except for chat support.

I can reach out to the founders if required? Reason enough for me:-)

Though in nearly 18 months I had to connect only twice. One was onboarding call other was on a different matter. They wanted to send some swag and I refused, asked emailed the founder and requested them to donate them instead. Shipping a backpack or T Shirt from US to India is economically and ecologically not prudent.

Server Avatar is another option if you are looking for a lightweight solution with reasonable backups and support options.

Then there are the open source tools…

Its like any other market really.
    Pantheon received 100 million US dollars of venture funding. One wonders why would investors throw that kind of money on WordPress hosting? Enterprise accounts? Healthy and growing MRR?

On a separate note if the client requires it and pays for it, I am happy to host minimum number of sites .