Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
WHMCS - OWNED - END OF LIFE - NO MORE SUPPORT!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

WHMCS - OWNED - END OF LIFE - NO MORE SUPPORT!!

JamesFJamesF Member, Provider
edited April 6 in General

Just had this email from WHMCS:

Hello,

We are writing to you to let you know about important changes to owned licenses. Today we are discontinuing owned license support. What this means for you and your existing owned license is as follows:
Your WHMCS owned license will continue to function as it does today. You may continue to run your WHMCS installation using the owned license for as long as you would like.
You will not be able to purchase or renew support for your owned WHMCS license, effective immediately.
• If you have an active support agreement with WHMCS for your owned license, we will continue to honor that support agreement until its expiration.
If you do not have support for your WHMCS owned license, and you require product support or you would like to upgrade to a current version, you will need to upgrade to our standard license model. You can obtain a standard license by logging into the WHMCS customer portal (https://www.whmcs.com/members).

Keep innovating, building, developing, designing, and hosting, and know that we continue to make investments to improve everyone's WHMCS experience.

If you require assistance with our standard license model and what license is best suited for you, we are here to help. You can contact Customer Service by opening a ticket at https://www.whmcs.com/submit-a-ticket

  • The WHMCS Team
«1

Comments

  • JamesFJamesF Member, Provider

    What a kick in the teeth from WHMCS!!! I can't believe it!

  • thedpthedp Member
    edited April 6

    Prior to reading the contents of this thread, based on the subject I thought there was an 0day out for WHMCS, hence owned, and that would be the end of life for providers.

    Sorry :D

    DP - Tech and Hosting related Domain Names for sale. PM for list/details.


  • ddvuddvu Member

    I am sorry to say this but its absolute crap.

    If at least they could offer an LTS version that just includes security patching...

  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 6

    Huh? I thought everybody saw that coming. They were going to kill the owned license.

    "Jarland is stupid."

  • JamesFJamesF Member, Provider

    apparently security updates will be provided free of charge.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    @deank said:
    Huh? I thought everybody saw that coming. They were going to kill the owned license.

    Took them long enough; I expected this to happen alongside the previous increase.

    Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £39/m - Our Latest LET Offer

    Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

  • ddvuddvu Member

    @JamesF said:
    apparently security updates will be provided free of charge.

    Source on that? If thats done I am happy. Lifelong only means usage, I dont expect new features.
    HOWEVER due to the source being closed and PHP not having the best rep securitywise, I am reliant on them fixing security issues else I wont even be able to use it long...

    Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    Indeed, they held it together far longer than I expected.

    "Jarland is stupid."

  • defaultdefault Member
    edited April 6

    Edit: we need to create something open-source.

    Fastmako (aff) - another cheap VPS.

  • JamesFJamesF Member, Provider

    clearly the $100/$120 per year wasn't enough for their old clients that probably raised few support tickets.

  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Provider

    I got 6-7 owned licenses in 1 account.. guess that went down the drain now :p

    Artnet - Poland (Gdańsk) based instant setup express dedicated servers & cloud VPS
    ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations! - Discussion Thread

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    Set them aBlaZe.

    Thanked by 1Blestastore

    "Jarland is stupid."

  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Provider
    edited April 6

    @JamesF said:
    apparently security updates will be provided free of charge.

    is that for whmcs 7 or only 8

    vpsgod.com : Shared | Reseller | VPS | RDP | Dedi | VPS Reseller

    $16/yr VPS- ovz7 NL| 256MB RAM

  • ederleziederlezi Member

    I can't understand why they did something so ridiculous. I have two owned licenses and when the time came I was paying for updates & support. Sorry but they encourage old users like me to use warez.
    (fuuuuuuu.k!!! :| )

  • lonealonea Member, Provider

    The EOL of each version.

    @vpsGOD said: is that for whmcs 7 or only 8

  • netswitchnetswitch Member
    edited April 6

    Wonder if they will get away with this.
    We have 3 owned licences, I was aldready looking at Hostbill because of all the gimmicks and issues with whmcs, I ll contact Hostbill tomorrow.

  • lonealonea Member, Provider
    edited April 6

    What makes you think Hostbill won't pull the same thing like WHMCS did?

    This is literally cpanel price increase all over again, everyone jumping to the competition hoping price will stay the same for XXX years.

    @netswitch said: Wonder if they will get away with this.
    We have 3 owned licences, I was aldready looking at Hostbill because of all the gimmicks and issues with whmcs, I ll contact Hostbill tomorrow.

  • LTnigerLTniger Member

    @BlaZe said:
    I got 6-7 owned licenses in 1 account.. guess that went down the drain now :p

    Hold em. To the moon go brrrr :D

    #!/Bashblog.net | Free Wordpress Hosting | If you can't idle, what's the point?

  • PremiumNPremiumN Member

    What can I say, we all got 'owned' by WHMCS :#

    I ❤ Laravel

  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator

    Not really impressed by this move by whmcs.

    Jon Biloh
  • hescominsoonhescominsoon Member
    edited April 7

    whmcs is owned by the same venture firms that own cpanel and plesk. When cpanel was purchased they immediately did something similar they are doing now to whmcs. The company that owns cpanel and whmcs is called webpros. https://webpros.com/

  • rajatrajat Member, Provider

    Whmcs is now more greedy

  • someshzsomeshz Member, Provider
    edited April 7

    @BlaZe said:
    I got 6-7 owned licenses in 1 account.. guess that went down the drain now :p

    Sad to hear that :p This very same move was predicted by some of the LET members when Cpanel changed its pricing structure.

    Upcoming price hike - Plesk, Solusvm

    Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Provider

    @LTniger said:

    @BlaZe said:
    I got 6-7 owned licenses in 1 account.. guess that went down the drain now :p

    Hold em. To the moon go brrrr :D

    Guess WHMCS just moon'd me :p

    @someshz said:

    @BlaZe said:
    I got 6-7 owned licenses in 1 account.. guess that went down the drain now :p

    Sad to hear that :p This very same move was predicted by some of the LET members when Cpanel changed its pricing structure.

    Upcoming price hike - Plesk, Solusvm

    Good time to invest in in-house solution with dedicated developers.

    Thanked by 1ntlx

    Artnet - Poland (Gdańsk) based instant setup express dedicated servers & cloud VPS
    ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations! - Discussion Thread

  • FritzFritz Member

    @hescominsoon said:
    whmcs is owned by the same venture firms that own cpanel and plesk. When cpanel was purchased they immediately did something similar they are doing now to whmcs. The company that owns cpanel and whmcs is called webpros. https://webpros.com/

    Don't forget SolusVM is owned by them too.

    Maybe a price hike will be happen soon. :smiley:

    Thanked by 1drunkendog

    I'm Good!

  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    @jbiloh said:
    Not really impressed by this move by whmcs.

    Honestly this is better than what I was black pilling for the past while. I was fully expecting a flat "per active customer" like cPanel.

    Still, it's not great.

    Francisco

    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • bdlbdl Member

    @thedp said:
    Prior to reading the contents of this thread, based on the subject I thought there was an 0day out for WHMCS, hence owned, and that would be the end of life for providers.

    Sorry :D

    that be "pwned" :)

  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Provider

    Sigh, guess we're rolling our own then. I suspect most people need just a simple client/product, billing, and ticketing system.

    Open to going the FOSS route on this, let me know if anyone's interested in a collab along the lines of:

    • Minimal
    • Python
    • Modular
    • API-first design

    Pavin.

    Thanked by 1drunkendog

    Mailcheap.co (Cyberlabs s.r.o. & Cyberlabs Inc.)
    Dedicated Email Servers | Complete API support | AI Spam Filtering

  • WHMCS Limited has increased its total assets from 5 million (2019) to 7 million in 2020.

    Greed is infinite, however, and so in 2021 there will certainly be 10 million.

    In general, it must be said that WHMCS is legally in a gray area, for various reasons.

    On their website, Matt Pugh is listed as CEO...But he is not since 2019. Current directors (there are two) are KONZACK, Sascha Markus (Germany) and KOSTON, John (USA).

    I don't know the laws in UK as well as some others (bspw.Germany), but this could already be a violation, in competition law.

    A much more serious matter is the matter of own licenses. These keep their validity but a basic function/option is discontinued for the future.

    This is legally untenable and we can only advise any company that has its own legal department or uses an external lawyer to file a lawsuit against WHMCS,

    But also the price increase is not legal: WHMCS has something like a monopoly position and such price increases are not allowed.

    With which, in any case, WHMCS can also be additionally attacked: DSGVO

    WHMCS is a UK company and even after Brexit, the EU GDPR regulations apply to UK companies.

    The licenses are linked to the number of active customers, which means that WHMCS knows monthly how many active customers a company has. This is not only for competitive reasons an absolutely illegal thing, but also data protection law within the GDPR and the agreements with the EU (Brexit) NOT allowed.

    Here, every company that uses WHMCS and is located in the EU (especially in Germany) should immediately contact the national data protection commissioner.

    Perhaps a few companies can be found, within the EU! who together with the above points to take action against WHMCS.

    Yes, this will of course cost lawyer and court fees. But if you don't stop WHMCS now, they will keep doing it!

  • NickANickA Member

    @mailcheap said:
    Sigh, guess we're rolling our own then. I suspect most people need just a simple client/product, billing, and ticketing system.

    Open to going the FOSS route on this, let me know if anyone's interested in a collab along the lines of:

    • Minimal
    • Python
    • Modular
    • API-first design

    Pavin.

    If you're interested in going the Laravel route instead, I might be interested in sponsoring development, I would want a drop-in replacement for WHMCS though, no database migration required.

  • ddvuddvu Member

    Why no migration?

    But I agree, Laravel + PHP will be the easiest way. They are already making use of some of the laravel components anyways (eloquent for example).

    make it nice modern and modular design with api first design (as @mailcheap mentions)

  • ddvuddvu Member

    if you design it smart, you can allow others to develop plugins that can be added easy via composer.

    So you basically just provide a framework and the admin-panel (which will still be a lot of work though).

    Look at invoiceninja. Laravel based as well with modern approach.

  • LeeLee Member

    I will believe all the 'going to roll my own' comments when I see it. Every time, same comments, no action.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited April 7

    They stopped selling new licenses in 2016 for 249$, i has been 4 + years since then.
    After 15 months, the license would be already paid.

    Afterwards the license was 1/3 of the price of a monthly license, so you saved a shitload of money.
    Of course people who recently got one, are fucked, no question.

  • SaahibSaahib Member

    Can do a crowed funding type of thing or monthly commitment, should start working on it once we have atleast 2 years funding for keeping developer.

  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator

    @Francisco said:

    @jbiloh said:
    Not really impressed by this move by whmcs.

    Honestly this is better than what I was black pilling for the past while. I was fully expecting a flat "per active customer" like cPanel.

    Still, it's not great.

    Francisco

    It's going to creep in the direction of Ubersmith overtime. Costs will go up.

    WHMCS realizes there are few other options for what they offer and that comparatively they are still very inexpensive.

    They have the coverage provided by other larger companies who sunset software products (no longer providing updates/support/etc). Just the way things work these days unfortunately.

    Jon Biloh
  • ddvuddvu Member

    @Neoon said:
    They stopped selling new licenses in 2016 for 249$, i has been 4 + years since then.
    After 15 months, the license would be already paid.

    Afterwards the license was 1/3 of the price of a monthly license, so you saved a shitload of money.
    Of course people who recently got one, are fucked, no question.

    Sure. A car is life-long when purchased. I can chose to invest money into it for repairs or upgrades for new features or just to keep it roadworthy.

    With closed source neither is possible.

    Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • lonealonea Member, Provider
    edited April 7

    I have said it in another thread. If you have an owned license, the best way to move forward is to build a middleware/connector to connect a new frontend to the WHMCS backend using the API/hooks.

    This way you can hide your WHMCS completely without exposing any potential security risks. You'll also avoid running into another license situation from another software.

    Eventually you can add more and more functions you need and only use WHMCS as a recurring invoicing engine.

    This could probably be built relatively cheap, since you just interacting with parsing the API -> frontend. There isn't any SQL the developer need to worry about.

    Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Provider

    @NickA said:

    @mailcheap said:
    Sigh, guess we're rolling our own then. I suspect most people need just a simple client/product, billing, and ticketing system.

    Open to going the FOSS route on this, let me know if anyone's interested in a collab along the lines of:

    • Minimal
    • Python
    • Modular
    • API-first design

    Pavin.

    If you're interested in going the Laravel route instead, I might be interested in sponsoring development, I would want a drop-in replacement for WHMCS though, no database migration required.

    Thanks for the interest, I'm more comfortable with Python these days. PHP as a language has improved a lot with the recent updates, so it's just a personal preference.

    Plus, I can reuse a lot of the basic stuff like account/auth from the development of NMS.

    Reusing stuff from NMS would mean I can't make it FOSS unfortunately, sorry!

    Pavin.

    Thanked by 1drunkendog

    Mailcheap.co (Cyberlabs s.r.o. & Cyberlabs Inc.)
    Dedicated Email Servers | Complete API support | AI Spam Filtering

  • ktkt Member, Provider
    edited April 7

    You all hopefully bought ton of updates when they changed owned terms / increased price late last year :) It was coming from a mile away.

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/167281/whmcs-owned-no-transfers-allowed-and-no-12-month-support-packages

  • WHMCS has thousands of customers; Maybe it's time we all together AND coordinated to share our opinion on the price increase and the other bad news via ticket. When tens of thousands of tickets flood the system, this should not go unheard!

  • @Internoc24 said:
    WHMCS has thousands of customers; Maybe it's time we all together AND coordinated to share our opinion on the price increase and the other bad news via ticket. When tens of thousands of tickets flood the system, this should not go unheard!

    The decision made was probably very well thought by their highest ranks. Meaning they probably predicted an outrage by the community which will fade in matter of months. They wouldn’t care or change their minds at this point.

    Thanked by 1drunkendog

    AALayer.com - Custom Web Design
    WHMCS.design - Blesta.shop

  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    @jbiloh said: It's going to creep in the direction of Ubersmith overtime. Costs will go up.

    WHMCS realizes there are few other options for what they offer and that comparatively they are still very inexpensive.

    They have the coverage provided by other larger companies who sunset software products (no longer providing updates/support/etc). Just the way things work these days unfortunately.

    Yup, amen.

    Gets harder and harder for the summer hosts to get going. That's a good thing, but puts an unneeded pressure on the ones trying to do it right.

    SVM1 is coming.

    Francisco

    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • Trustpilot: Oh, how the tide is turning.

    Then=sequence/consequence; than=compare || Brought=bring; bought=buy
    Paid=NotSkint; payed=some naval thing

  • sdglhmsdglhm Member

    I can say with a good authority that some large scale hosting companies (At least two) are looking to move away from WHMCS. They can indeed afford the price but with all the nuances WHMCS brings to the table, and the fact that WHMCS is now owned by OC and probably increase prices much more in the future, they are looking to implement their own solution.

    None of them are looking for something in PHP though. Only a panel custom built for their needs.

    I repeat, RAID is not backup | Looking for a developer for your next project? - Hire me

  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    Why is it that I am finding this out here, and not via an email sent out to owned license holders from WHMCS directly?

    It now appears too late for me to get the latest updates.

    Greedy fucking bastards.

    Thanked by 2lentro Blestastore
  • lonealonea Member, Provider

    They did sent multiple. Your spam filter probably caught it.

    @randvegeta said: Why is it that I am finding this out here, and not via an email sent out to owned license holders from WHMCS directly?

Sign In or Register to comment.