Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS - OWNED - END OF LIFE - NO MORE SUPPORT!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS - OWNED - END OF LIFE - NO MORE SUPPORT!!

JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
edited April 2021 in General

Just had this email from WHMCS:

Hello,

We are writing to you to let you know about important changes to owned licenses. Today we are discontinuing owned license support. What this means for you and your existing owned license is as follows:
Your WHMCS owned license will continue to function as it does today. You may continue to run your WHMCS installation using the owned license for as long as you would like.
You will not be able to purchase or renew support for your owned WHMCS license, effective immediately.
• If you have an active support agreement with WHMCS for your owned license, we will continue to honor that support agreement until its expiration.
If you do not have support for your WHMCS owned license, and you require product support or you would like to upgrade to a current version, you will need to upgrade to our standard license model. You can obtain a standard license by logging into the WHMCS customer portal (https://www.whmcs.com/members).

Keep innovating, building, developing, designing, and hosting, and know that we continue to make investments to improve everyone's WHMCS experience.

If you require assistance with our standard license model and what license is best suited for you, we are here to help. You can contact Customer Service by opening a ticket at https://www.whmcs.com/submit-a-ticket

• The WHMCS Team

Comments

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

What a kick in the teeth from WHMCS!!! I can't believe it!

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited April 2021

Prior to reading the contents of this thread, based on the subject I thought there was an 0day out for WHMCS, hence owned, and that would be the end of life for providers.

Sorry :D

• ddvuddvu Member

I am sorry to say this but its absolute crap.

If at least they could offer an LTS version that just includes security patching...

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2021

Huh? I thought everybody saw that coming. They were going to kill the owned license.

apparently security updates will be provided free of charge.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@deank said:
    Huh? I thought everybody saw that coming. They were going to kill the owned license.

Took them long enough; I expected this to happen alongside the previous increase.

• ddvuddvu Member

@JamesF said:

Source on that? If thats done I am happy. Lifelong only means usage, I dont expect new features.
    HOWEVER due to the source being closed and PHP not having the best rep securitywise, I am reliant on them fixing security issues else I wont even be able to use it long...

Thanked by 1drunkendog

Indeed, they held it together far longer than I expected.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

Edit: we need to create something open-source.

clearly the $100/$120 per year wasn't enough for their old clients that probably raised few support tickets.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

I got 6-7 owned licenses in 1 account.. guess that went down the drain now :p

Set them aBlaZe.

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@JamesF said:

is that for whmcs 7 or only 8

• I can't understand why they did something so ridiculous. I have two owned licenses and when the time came I was paying for updates & support. Sorry but they encourage old users like me to use warez.
    (fuuuuuuu.k!!! :| )

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

The EOL of each version.

@vpsGOD said: is that for whmcs 7 or only 8

• netswitchnetswitch Member
    edited April 2021

Wonder if they will get away with this.
    We have 3 owned licences, I was aldready looking at Hostbill because of all the gimmicks and issues with whmcs, I ll contact Hostbill tomorrow.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

What makes you think Hostbill won't pull the same thing like WHMCS did?

This is literally cpanel price increase all over again, everyone jumping to the competition hoping price will stay the same for XXX years.

@netswitch said: Wonder if they will get away with this.
    We have 3 owned licences, I was aldready looking at Hostbill because of all the gimmicks and issues with whmcs, I ll contact Hostbill tomorrow.

• LeviLevi Member

@BlaZe said:

Hold em. To the moon go brrrr :D

• What can I say, we all got 'owned' by WHMCS :#

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Not really impressed by this move by whmcs.

• hescominsoonhescominsoon Member
    edited April 2021

whmcs is owned by the same venture firms that own cpanel and plesk. When cpanel was purchased they immediately did something similar they are doing now to whmcs. The company that owns cpanel and whmcs is called webpros. https://webpros.com/

• Whmcs is now more greedy

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@BlaZe said:

Sad to hear that :p This very same move was predicted by some of the LET members when Cpanel changed its pricing structure.

Upcoming price hike - Plesk, Solusvm

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

@BlaZe said:

Hold em. To the moon go brrrr :D

Guess WHMCS just moon'd me :p

@someshz said:

@BlaZe said:

Sad to hear that :p This very same move was predicted by some of the LET members when Cpanel changed its pricing structure.

Upcoming price hike - Plesk, Solusvm

Good time to invest in in-house solution with dedicated developers.

Thanked by 1ntlx
  • FritzFritz Veteran

@hescominsoon said:
    whmcs is owned by the same venture firms that own cpanel and plesk. When cpanel was purchased they immediately did something similar they are doing now to whmcs. The company that owns cpanel and whmcs is called webpros. https://webpros.com/

Don't forget SolusVM is owned by them too.

Maybe a price hike will be happen soon. :smiley:

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • mhosting_inmhosting_in Member
    edited April 2021

move to hostbill.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    Not really impressed by this move by whmcs.

Honestly this is better than what I was black pilling for the past while. I was fully expecting a flat "per active customer" like cPanel.

Still, it's not great.

Francisco

• bdlbdl Member

@thedp said:
    Prior to reading the contents of this thread, based on the subject I thought there was an 0day out for WHMCS, hence owned, and that would be the end of life for providers.

Sorry :D

that be "pwned" :)

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Sigh, guess we're rolling our own then. I suspect most people need just a simple client/product, billing, and ticketing system.

Open to going the FOSS route on this, let me know if anyone's interested in a collab along the lines of:

• Minimal
    • Python
    • Modular
    • API-first design

Pavin.

Thanked by 2drunkendog ito