Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self Hosting from home
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self Hosting from home

Since the Own Web debacle, and the expensive/unreliable/overpriced/nightmare of running vps for forex trading i am looking at diy solutions.

I can use 2 internet connections from 2 different provideers and use my own ups, to give me redundancy, i can't do much about latency, and netbooks to act as hosts is not a problem. What are your thoughts and inputs on such endeavours.

I like the idea of self reliance, providers i have used are simply not reliable enough

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Don't forget to order spare parts for them.

• how about raspberry pi

what application for Forex trading?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Are you really “hosting” or just “using computers at home”?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

You must have done something wrong if your hosting providers had worse reliability than a netbook.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2021

@NewToTheGame said:
    Since the Own Web debacle, and the expensive/unreliable/overpriced/nightmare of running vps for forex trading i am looking at diy solutions.

I can use 2 internet connections from 2 different provideers and use my own ups, to give me redundancy, i can't do much about latency, and netbooks to act as hosts is not a problem. What are your thoughts and inputs on such endeavours.

I like the idea of self reliance, providers i have used are simply not reliable enough

We deal with a healthy amount of forex folks and pretty decent local latency to most of the big names (NYC/UK/NL/SG/TK). Make sure you have fast enough cpu and optimized your MT4 instances the right way. Sorry about the shameless plug.

Latency is key when it comes to trading and so is high cpu frequency. Else, you have high chance of missing out on important, time sensitive trades.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2021

@NewToTheGame said: I can use 2 internet connections from 2 different provideer

Residential internet providers aren't going to perform as well as a data center connection, and good hosting providers are going to be dual homed too (have at least two redundant internet connections). You'll have lower latency and a lower contention ratio on a data center connection.

@NewToTheGame said: What are your thoughts and inputs on such endeavours.

Proper hosts are more reliable, have better connections with lower latency, and VPS hosts can be cheaper than hosting at home (once you consider the cost of power plus hardware plus a business-grade internet connection)

I don't know much about forex but a VPS host with fast CPUs and dedicated CPU power should be reliable for this.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • We are talking metatrader.

Yes I am talking about running desktop at home on netbooks which is fine, I am ok with that. I am hosting it myself though aren't I, I mean, I don't actually need a server at all, and RDP is a pain. Sadly mt4 is a Windows based platform so Linux is not really an option.

I have never had a vps provider who can give me sub 2ms mt4 latency anyway, the lowest I have been able to find us 35ms. This is still way to long for scalping, so scalping is not possible.

So considering no provider can affordably offer me the latency I need, generally don't offer the security I could really do with regarding RDP and the unreliable nature I have seen from any provider, I have to consider doing it diy.

The rules are always broken, broken contracts, server reboots which are unacceptable, downtime of over a week, that's over 7 days a EA cannot trade, server hardware changes which can break metaquotes licensing of EA and so on, I consider these things absolutely unacceptable.

I need much better reliability than that. There only way I see me getting that is to do it myself.

• Just buy a old one laptop with working battery, UPS inside and i thing nice hardware for run small forex. You can store it in basement or where you want. Only remember to clean it inside from dust once in a while.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2021

Get a couple of quality providers, no idea how you get 7 day downtimes.

Depends on how much you make from this, could even afford 2-3 (cheap) dedicated servers, at 10-15 Euro each. However the dedi ones might not be in your ideal low-latency location.

As for hosting at home, consider you're going out on vacation to another country (and still want to trade a bit here and there), who will oversee your home DC? Or since you are the one and only sysadmin, you cannot leave anywhere ever? Not ideal at all.

• ddvuddvu Member

if you do not value your time, then yes you can get it cheaper at home.

but if you do, then I find it hard to believe to not find a suitable provider for a price (AWS?).

Create failover setups (multi AZ) so in a failure event you are only down for a couple of minutes...