Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosterlabs terminates server without warning if due date missed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Hosterlabs terminates server without warning if due date missed

IamJAXIamJAX Member
edited March 6 in Providers

Hosterlabs terminates server without warning if Invoice is not paid by due date.

I had a 2GB VPS at hosterlabs and the invoice due date was on 27th Feb for the period 27th Feb to March 26th 2021. Unfortunately I was travelling during this time and I missed it. I received second invoice overdue email on 5th day (4th March) after due date and I promptly paid within 2 hours of receiving mail. But when my server was not up even after payment, I contacted support about it. I was informed that they had already terminated the server with informing me or warning about it even though they collected payment until 26th March 2021.

So, if you are on Hosterlabs, they don't care about your server or data. Always keep a proper backup.

Support couldn't restore service. Only option they gave was refund which they promptly did.

Their service is good. Just didn't like the termination without warning and collecting payment for terminated service. If they collect payment, they should at least restore service.

Comments

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Provider

I think hosterlabs gave you enough time to renew your vps. Not seeing any fault of hosterlabs .

H4F.NET KVM VPS in : Asia-Eupore-USA (21+ Locations!).
    USA KVM VPS : 2GB Ram - 25GB NVMe - 2xCPU Core - 1TB BW @ $7/month

• thedpthedp Member

Regardless of provider, you should always deal with your invoices in a timely manner, or if you feel you can't due to whatever reasons, you should drop them a note/email/ticket explaining your situation and I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Thanked by 2lentro ariq01

DP - Tech and Hosting-related Domain Names for sale. PM for list/details.

• IamJAXIamJAX Member

I agree it was my fault to have missed due date. But termination without warning is not something I expect from a good hosting provider and that to within 5 days of due date.

• WSCallumWSCallum Member, Provider
    edited March 6

I would imagine it was terminated before you made payment and they simply hadn't cancelled the invoice when it was terminated.

Termination within a day or so of termination is rare, most will allow some time before termination but they aren't forced to which is why you should pay on time or setup automatic payments if you intend to renew. The time they give you before termination depends on their TOS but I would say that termination within 7 days of the due date if payment isn't made is relatively common for VPS/Hosting etc.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Hosting
    AMD EPYC & Intel E Cloud VPS | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 6

Do providers usually send warning before termination? Do they inform if a server is terminated?

• 10301030 Member

I would terminate it too if I was owner of Hosterlabs

Domains for sale: vmhosting.net vmserver.net vpsz.net serverz.net

• sntsnt Member

Why should the provider care about your data and services if you dont care about your invoices? If your data and service was so important to you then you shouldve subscribed for automatic payments

• seriesnseriesn Member, Top Provider

@IamJAX said:
    Do providers usually send warning before termination? Do they inform if a server is terminated?

Check your invoice reminder email. Might be there. Or their tos.

End of the day, it is your responsibility to pay on time. It is their choose to give you some flexibility. But if they don’t, it is completely within their right. Services are prepaid. Which means it has to be paid first before you start using it.

Thanked by 2WSCallum lentro
  • thedpthedp Member

Tagging @Hosterlabs - might as well.

• Most billing systems allow you to make a deposit as store credit, and invoice can be deducted from store credit automatically. You could have made the deposit prior to travel.

Most people travel with a smartphone or other Internet client that can receive emails and do online shopping. You could have read emails and made payments on your smartphone.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

The end is nigh for Ubuntu 16.04. Providers still offering Ubuntu 16.04 past EOL will be ashamed.

• DataGizmosDataGizmos Member
    edited March 6

@iamjax - like most things in this world, if you do not pay, you do not get. Example, Don't pay phone- its shut off - the warning is the invoice.

You got your warning, then they shut you off. As an unmanaged service that was abandoned by you - they don't care about your data.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Moderator

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• IamJAXIamJAX Member

I dont know why this didnt get setup as subscription and I wasnt sure how to changed it to one.... Anyway I learned my lesson :(

• @IamJax - you should learn to check bills a couple times a month and especially before going on holiday. Just common sense

• IamJAXIamJAX Member

@DataGizmos said:
    @IamJax - you should learn to check bills a couple times a month and especially before going on holiday. Just common sense

Agreed...I should also be making sure that hosting are on automatic payment.

• thedpthedp Member

Plot twist: OP was also overdue on mobile phone bills and services was barred hence no internet/data while traveling.

• IamJAXIamJAX Member

@thedp said:
    Plot twist: OP was also overdue on mobile phone bills and services was barred hence no internet/data while traveling.

Nope :dizzy:

But mobile range was not good and I dont trust making payments with it. If there was a termination warning, I would have called up someone and made payment.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 6

What has the host done wrong here?

All I see is an invoice unpaid and subsequently service cancelled.

"Jarland is stupid."

• thedpthedp Member

@IamJAX said: If there was a termination warning, I would have called up someone and made payment.

From my understanding, this statement indicates that you were aware of the invoices but you chose not to pay, probably until you returned from traveling ;)

edited March 6

So, you need an extra special invoice- all in red letters spelling out that you have a bill due?

"Beware of IamJAX" should be thread title instead.

"Jarland is stupid."

• IamJAXIamJAX Member

@thedp said:

@IamJAX said: If there was a termination warning, I would have called up someone and made payment.

From my understanding, this statement indicates that you were aware of the invoices but you chose not to pay, probably until you returned from traveling ;)

Yes. I expected it should be fine until I am back. But I was wrong :(

Thanked by 1thedp
  • seriesnseriesn Member, Top Provider

Atleast OP didn’t pull this gem:

Due to the law in EU, all days should be counted only working days. Not weekend. Nobody usually is working on Saturday or Sunday.

Thanked by 2lentro SmallWeb
  • @IamJax you should change the title. Hosterlab did nothing wrong and I sincerely have no clue why you would post this. You also mentioned you didnt know how to change it to subscription. Obviously you know how to submit a ticket (and also make let posts) - did you try either of those 2 things before going on holiday or when you set up account initially? NOPE.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Provider
    edited March 6

The title of the thread should be changed to "Beware, unpaid invoices = product terminations"
    Just so everyone knows in the future what happens when an invoice goes overdue.

★ DDoS Protected COLOCATION, DEDICATED SERVERS & KVM VPS ★ Skype: ian.d95 ★ Discord: Ian.D#8515
    ★ www.leveloneservers.com ★ Dallas, TX ★ Dot-Tech LLC AS398395

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 6

@DataGizmos said:
    @IamJax you should change the title. Hosterlab did nothing wrong and I sincerely have no clue why you would post this. You also mentioned you didnt know how to change it to subscription. Obviously you know how to submit a ticket (and also make let posts) - did you try either of those 2 things before going on holiday or when you set up account initially? NOPE.

Changed. My expectations were just wrong :(

Thank you all for correcting my expectations.

• donkodonko Member

meh i was expecting read some low end drama..

• thedpthedp Member

No, Hosterlabs terminates services if overdue on payment - the invoices themselves serves as warnings :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny

• It should be - "After 4 invoices in 17 days with no response - server terminated"

I am actually more shocked that OP came to senses.

People like OT tend to enter the state of complete denial and attack their hosts for no apparent reason other than PMS.

I think the end must be nigh.

"Jarland is stupid."

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 6

@DataGizmos said:
    It should be - "After 4 invoices in 17 days with no response - server terminated"

It was just 5 days. In Previous invoice it was paid for till 27th Feb. On 4th March, when I got the invoice overdue mail and I paid within hours and they collected payment for service until 26th March. If the collect payment, they should provide service instead of offering refund

"Just 5 days".

Brave words. That's a very dangerous mentality.

"Jarland is stupid."

edited March 6

@iamjax - seriously - it was the 4 INVOICES IN 17 days prior to your due date that they sent you- that YOU IGNORED. Only when you got an overdue one after the fact were you motivated to go pay.

• IamJAXIamJAX Member

@deank said:
    I am actually more shocked that OP came to senses.

People like OT tend to enter the state of complete denial and attack their hosts for no apparent reason other than PMS.

I think the end must be nigh.

I believe proper communication and willing to listen can solve problems :)

Thanked by 1that_guy

Nah, I was wrong. You haven't come to senses.

"Jarland is stupid."

edited March 6

This discussion is going nowhere

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 6

@DataGizmos said:
    @iamjax - seriously - it was the 4 INVOICES IN 17 days prior to your due date that they sent you- that YOU IGNORED. Only when you got an overdue one after the fact were you motivated to go pay.

As an aside - you critiqued WABLE for not responding in 2 days to you. How do you explain YOU not responding to a vendor after 17 days and 4 attempts to request payment, followed by a 5th one that was marked as overdue before you deemed it worthy of a response and payment. So it looks like 22 days from first vendor attempt for payment before customer is motivated to pay. Yet customer gets agitated when another vendor takes 2 days to respond.

Just checked my mails....the 4 attempts are invoice generated 2 weeks before due date, reminder on 20th, 28th and 4th. I just went unpaid by 5 days.

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 6

Anyway leave it... My expectation was wrong.

edited March 6

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Provider

Imagine if everyone lived in a world where they could be 5 days late on stuff.
    "Boss why did I lose my job, I showed up for work, 5 days late but I still showed up"

Got a court case? Eh, you don't need to be there at the scheduled time, the Judge will understand if you show up 5 days later, no worries.

Really, is this what we have come to? Coming to a forum to make an ass out of yourself?
    Granted this is LET and expected but still.

Oh and in case this was not mentioned, BACKUPS, BACKUPS, BACKUPS........ Or did you pay that bill late too?

Regardless stop trying to rationalize your mistake, you messed up and paid late, own up to it.

★ DDoS Protected COLOCATION, DEDICATED SERVERS & KVM VPS ★ Skype: ian.d95 ★ Discord: Ian.D#8515
    ★ www.leveloneservers.com ★ Dallas, TX ★ Dot-Tech LLC AS398395

• IamJAXIamJAX Member

I messed up and paid late :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Moderator

@IamJAX, renewal of your LET membership is past due by 4 days and is in danger of being cancelled. Please remit payment immediately so we can restore your service.

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    edited March 6

@IamJAX said: I just went unpaid by 5 days.

try the same with your credit card and make a fuss why they do charge interest after! 3 days overdue is more than enough to provider think that you don't care anymore with their services, so if you cared about your project / data, you should have paid 2 weeks before due date or before travelling or what ever excuse you do have!

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

Equally you should limit that travelling, as you know, the global pandemic and all that.

Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £39/m - Our Latest LET Offer

Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

• FalzoFalzo Member

become a client with german providers instead. you'll not lose your services that easily if you don't cancel. complaints about collection agencies incoming though.

UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

• @IamJAX said:
    I agree it was my fault to have missed due date. But termination without warning is not something I expect from a good hosting provider and that to within 5 days of due date.

But it wasn't "within", it was PAST.

You were paying them for a service for a specific time. Once the 27th came without payment, they have no obligation to hold your data. In fact, they need to free up those resources to try and collect money for those resources.

You got plenty of notification of termination and it's crazy you think otherwise. What the fuck do you think happens in nearly any service after payment period is over? This isn't new.

Now, if you were charged a reconnect fee or something, then there might be some expectation of data restoration. Or if their terms of service led you to believe that.

• @DataGizmos said:
    So, you need an extra special invoice- all in red letters spelling out that you have a bill due?

NO! It needs to say, "dude, we're deleting/terminating all your shit because you ignored all previous invoices".

The "bill due" gets completed ignored, haven't you been reading?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 7

@Falzo said:
    become a client with german providers instead. you'll not lose your services that easily if you don't cancel. complaints about collection agencies incoming though.

Well, no shit. If you don't cancel, everyone would expect services to continue. (And OP did expect it to continue because he didn't cancel)

Did you actually mean "pay" or were you not paying attention? (Did you see what I did there?)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@TimboJones said: If you don't cancel, everyone would expect services to continue.

maybe I worded it badly but this was intended to point out, that usually people expect service to end even if they do not cancel but just because stop paying.
    this time it's kind of opposite and OP complaints because he did not pay but expected the service to not end that easily...

Thanked by 2raindog308 that_guy

UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)