Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosterlabs terminates server without warning if due date missed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosterlabs terminates server without warning if due date missed

IamJAXIamJAX Member
edited March 2021 in Providers

Hosterlabs terminates server without warning if Invoice is not paid by due date.

I had a 2GB VPS at hosterlabs and the invoice due date was on 27th Feb for the period 27th Feb to March 26th 2021. Unfortunately I was travelling during this time and I missed it. I received second invoice overdue email on 5th day (4th March) after due date and I promptly paid within 2 hours of receiving mail. But when my server was not up even after payment, I contacted support about it. I was informed that they had already terminated the server with informing me or warning about it even though they collected payment until 26th March 2021.

So, if you are on Hosterlabs, they don't care about your server or data. Always keep a proper backup.

Support couldn't restore service. Only option they gave was refund which they promptly did.

Their service is good. Just didn't like the termination without warning and collecting payment for terminated service. If they collect payment, they should at least restore service.

Comments

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

I think hosterlabs gave you enough time to renew your vps. Not seeing any fault of hosterlabs .

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Regardless of provider, you should always deal with your invoices in a timely manner, or if you feel you can't due to whatever reasons, you should drop them a note/email/ticket explaining your situation and I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Thanked by 2lentro ariq01
  • I agree it was my fault to have missed due date. But termination without warning is not something I expect from a good hosting provider and that to within 5 days of due date.

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited March 2021

I would imagine it was terminated before you made payment and they simply hadn't cancelled the invoice when it was terminated.

Termination within a day or so of termination is rare, most will allow some time before termination but they aren't forced to which is why you should pay on time or setup automatic payments if you intend to renew. The time they give you before termination depends on their TOS but I would say that termination within 7 days of the due date if payment isn't made is relatively common for VPS/Hosting etc.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 2021

Do providers usually send warning before termination? Do they inform if a server is terminated?

• 10301030 Member

I would terminate it too if I was owner of Hosterlabs

• Why should the provider care about your data and services if you dont care about your invoices? If your data and service was so important to you then you shouldve subscribed for automatic payments

• @IamJAX said:
    Do providers usually send warning before termination? Do they inform if a server is terminated?

Check your invoice reminder email. Might be there. Or their tos.

End of the day, it is your responsibility to pay on time. It is their choose to give you some flexibility. But if they don’t, it is completely within their right. Services are prepaid. Which means it has to be paid first before you start using it.

Thanked by 2WSCallum lentro

Tagging @Hosterlabs - might as well.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Most billing systems allow you to make a deposit as store credit, and invoice can be deducted from store credit automatically. You could have made the deposit prior to travel.

Most people travel with a smartphone or other Internet client that can receive emails and do online shopping. You could have read emails and made payments on your smartphone.

• DataGizmosDataGizmos Member
    edited March 2021

@iamjax - like most things in this world, if you do not pay, you do not get. Example, Don't pay phone- its shut off - the warning is the invoice.

You got your warning, then they shut you off. As an unmanaged service that was abandoned by you - they don't care about your data.

• I dont know why this didnt get setup as subscription and I wasnt sure how to changed it to one.... Anyway I learned my lesson :(

• @IamJax - you should learn to check bills a couple times a month and especially before going on holiday. Just common sense

• @DataGizmos said:
    @IamJax - you should learn to check bills a couple times a month and especially before going on holiday. Just common sense

Agreed...I should also be making sure that hosting are on automatic payment.

Plot twist: OP was also overdue on mobile phone bills and services was barred hence no internet/data while traveling.

• @thedp said:
    Plot twist: OP was also overdue on mobile phone bills and services was barred hence no internet/data while traveling.

Nope :dizzy:

But mobile range was not good and I dont trust making payments with it. If there was a termination warning, I would have called up someone and made payment.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2021

What has the host done wrong here?

All I see is an invoice unpaid and subsequently service cancelled.

@IamJAX said: If there was a termination warning, I would have called up someone and made payment.

From my understanding, this statement indicates that you were aware of the invoices but you chose not to pay, probably until you returned from traveling ;)

• DataGizmosDataGizmos Member
    edited March 2021

So, you need an extra special invoice- all in red letters spelling out that you have a bill due?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

"Beware of IamJAX" should be thread title instead.

• @thedp said:

@IamJAX said: If there was a termination warning, I would have called up someone and made payment.

From my understanding, this statement indicates that you were aware of the invoices but you chose not to pay, probably until you returned from traveling ;)

Yes. I expected it should be fine until I am back. But I was wrong :(

Thanked by 1DP
  • Atleast OP didn’t pull this gem:

Due to the law in EU, all days should be counted only working days. Not weekend. Nobody usually is working on Saturday or Sunday.

Thanked by 2lentro MichaelCee
  • @IamJax you should change the title. Hosterlab did nothing wrong and I sincerely have no clue why you would post this. You also mentioned you didnt know how to change it to subscription. Obviously you know how to submit a ticket (and also make let posts) - did you try either of those 2 things before going on holiday or when you set up account initially? NOPE.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

The title of the thread should be changed to "Beware, unpaid invoices = product terminations"
    Just so everyone knows in the future what happens when an invoice goes overdue.

• IamJAXIamJAX Member
    edited March 2021

@DataGizmos said:
    @IamJax you should change the title. Hosterlab did nothing wrong and I sincerely have no clue why you would post this. You also mentioned you didnt know how to change it to subscription. Obviously you know how to submit a ticket (and also make let posts) - did you try either of those 2 things before going on holiday or when you set up account initially? NOPE.

Changed. My expectations were just wrong :(

Thank you all for correcting my expectations.

• donkodonko Member

meh i was expecting read some low end drama..

No, Hosterlabs terminates services if overdue on payment - the invoices themselves serves as warnings :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • It should be - "After 4 invoices in 17 days with no response - server terminated"