Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X ECC support?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X ECC support?

Since Ryzen 9 5900x shortage. I was thinking if we grab some AMD Ryzen 7 5800X instead of 5900x.
Any of you have experience with 5800x? Main question. Does it support ECC?
I didn't see on AMD documentations but I saw it on some third-party that it does support ECC.

Thanks

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

It should support ECC UDIMMs. We're awaiting some units as well.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • Nice, see actually anyone already tried it.
    Are you building it with ASrock boards?

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

They reason why you ars not seeing it in AMD's documentation is because they do not officially support ECC, they simply didn't remove the functionality from the chips. Their workstation, server and desktop CPUs share the same core architecture.

Thanked by 2Yakooza coreflux
  • As far as I know most AMD CPUs support ECC since Phenom. Maybe even earlier.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

All of our VPS nodes are built on Asrock Rack and that's where we have ECC. We build a lot of Ryzens for clients lately and we use both Asus and Asrock, however, we have not done builds with ECC on the consumer-grade gear.

Thanked by 2coreflux coreflux
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@AlexBarakov Ryzen is consumer grade, that's what it is. I'll tell you what is NOT... Business Grade or to be more clear SERVER GRADE / ENTERPRISE.

Nothing against Ryzen (consumer grade CPU) but don't mask it as if it were server grade. As you can see ECC is not even officially supported. At this time you are building frankestein builds. For the low end market, OK. For the top or mid end market, big no.

If your business is serious, EPYC is what you would be using which is the AMD line for enterprises/servers.

Unless Ryzen is recognized by AMD as officially enterprise grade and supported 100% to be used on server applications by its manufacturer, I wouldn't sell it as server grade for serious stuff.

For mining, gaming, hobby , sure. For enterprise databases or web servers BIG NAW. Does it work tho? Yes it works and clock per core is pretty good.

• notarobonotarobo Member
    edited March 2021

why not. Ryzen fast AF. period. put ECC ram. boom. Intel quiet. EPYC for rich peoples.

how many "server grade" provider go broke first then Ryzen breaking?

• HxxxHxxx Member

@notarobo said:
    why not. Ryzen fast AF. period. put ECC ram. boom. Intel quiet. EPYC for rich peoples.

The i7 was fast too at that time years ago, nobody was over hyping bullshitting people. People used the E3's.

For real servers = Real server hardware.
    For hobby = sure use whatever you want. Throw your toaster too.

• Care to share exactly what makes Ryzen “not business grade” minus marketing bluff?

Intel made iSeries limited, thus making xeons “business grade” AMD have not done anything close to that.

But I think we had that argument somewhere before where we both walked out agreeing to disagree ?

Thanked by 3Hxxx coolice Yakooza
  • notarobonotarobo Member
    edited March 2021

@Hxxx said:

@notarobo said:

The i7 was fast too at that time years ago, nobody was over hyping bullshitting people. People used the E3's.

For real servers = Real server hardware.
    For hobby = sure use whatever you want. Throw your toaster too.

Intel no ECC.

boom.

don't use oven just to toast bread.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited March 2021

I have no issues at all with providers that sell Ryzen to business customers. However I would have expected providers doing so to tell the customer what they are getting: "Consumer grade" and not "enterprise / business/ server grade", staying true to the facts based on the manufacturer.

For instance I could buy some nice , fast, stable, @seriesn /Nexus Ryzen VPS sponsored by Bob (which I've heard is pretty epic and I have no doubt) but I can't say it would be at the level of Linode's EPYC VPS just because one carries a consumer grade name while the other is business grade. Even though Nexus Bytes VPS is probably faster, is just oranges vs bananas.

Now we can also consider that is nice to see a provider investing big cash on actual server grade hardware, it kind of give us the customers a glimpse on what the providers ideals are and most importantly how much the company cares. Not that it matters in the LET market.

It also depends on the customers ideals. Are you the kind of guy that replace your cars parts with non-original parts or do you pay for the original just because shit and giggles?

PS: I use Ryzen for some stuff, but I have to recognize there are some providers selling expensive Ryzen VPS with half assed dedicated vcores that honestly can't handle shit. Might have to try Nexus Bytes soon.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • I think ryzens don't differ much from epycs. CPUs last forever so the cpu by themselves don't matter. But with ryzen servers, there's probably cost-saving measures somewhere. Maybe you have non-enterprise disks, maybe no redundant power etc. But this likely doesn't matter to most people on LET.

Honestly though, I think the main point of server-grade is doing many concurrent tasks and using a lot of memory. IMO, people who need such solutions would need dedis, while those who use vps would likely benefit more from ryzens and their faster threads.

Intel did make xeons more "premium" by not supporting ecc and giving worse warranty for consumer cpus. But AMD started supporting ECC on ryzens so that's cool.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited March 2021

@smallbibi love that you bring the subject of storage and power supplies. Precisely this I forgot to mention.

Is the Same with NVMe and SSD's. Are you providing your customers consumer shit grade instead of DC rated storage. Now some people will say well Samsung EVO's are stable blah blah. NO, there is SSD and then there is Datacenter rated SSD.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@smallbibi said: Intel did make xeons more "premium" by not supporting ecc and giving worse warranty for consumer cpus. But AMD started supporting ECC on ryzens so that's cool.

It's half-hazardous ECC support.

@Hxxx said: NO, there is SSD and then there is Datacenter rated SSD.

That's very true, in addition on enterprise-grade hardware the suppliers, usually provide a 100x better warranty and in case of anything will help recover a drive

• @smallbibi said:
    I think ryzens don't differ much from epycs. CPUs last forever so the cpu by themselves don't matter. But with ryzen servers, there's probably cost-saving measures somewhere. Maybe you have non-enterprise disks, maybe no redundant power etc. But this likely doesn't matter to most people on LET.

Honestly though, I think the main point of server-grade is doing many concurrent tasks and using a lot of memory. IMO, people who need such solutions would need dedis, while those who use vps would likely benefit more from ryzens and their faster threads.

Intel did make xeons more "premium" by not supporting ecc and giving worse warranty for consumer cpus. But AMD started supporting ECC on ryzens so that's cool.

AMD has supported ECC on consumer grade far far longer than just Ryzen.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2021

@Hxxx said:
    I have no issues at all with providers that sell Ryzen to business customers. However I would have expected providers doing so to tell the customer what they are getting: "Consumer grade" and not "enterprise / business/ server grade", staying true to the facts based on the manufacturer.

For instance I could buy some nice , fast, stable, @seriesn /Nexus Ryzen VPS sponsored by Bob (which I've heard is pretty epic and I have no doubt) but I can't say it would be at the level of Linode's EPYC VPS just because one carries a consumer grade name while the other is business grade. Even though Nexus Bytes VPS is probably faster, is just oranges vs bananas.

Now we can also consider that is nice to see a provider investing big cash on actual server grade hardware, it kind of give us the customers a glimpse on what the providers ideals are and most importantly how much the company cares. Not that it matters in the LET market.

It also depends on the customers ideals. Are you the kind of guy that replace your cars parts with non-original parts or do you pay for the original just because shit and giggles?

PS: I use Ryzen for some stuff, but I have to recognize there are some providers selling expensive Ryzen VPS with half assed dedicated vcores that honestly can't handle shit. Might have to try Nexus Bytes soon.

Rumor has it, if you call my name 3 times a after midnight, you will get an invoice from me. Sad to see you stop at 2 😂.

Come over fam. We got xeons too ;)

Thanked by 2Hxxx hotlineservers

@seriesn said: Rumor has it, if you call my name 3 times a after midnight, you will get an invoice from me. Sad to see you stop at 2 😂.

Come over fam. We got xeons too

Nexus byte
    Nexus byte
    Nexus byte

seriesn
    seriesn
    seriesn

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• @Hxxx said:
    @AlexBarakov Ryzen is consumer grade, that's what it is. I'll tell you what is NOT... Business Grade or to be more clear SERVER GRADE / ENTERPRISE.

Nothing against Ryzen (consumer grade CPU) but don't mask it as if it were server grade. As you can see ECC is not even officially supported. At this time you are building frankestein builds. For the low end market, OK. For the top or mid end market, big no.

If your business is serious, EPYC is what you would be using which is the AMD line for enterprises/servers.

Unless Ryzen is recognized by AMD as officially enterprise grade and supported 100% to be used on server applications by its manufacturer, I wouldn't sell it as server grade for serious stuff.

For mining, gaming, hobby , sure. For enterprise databases or web servers BIG NAW. Does it work tho? Yes it works and clock per core is pretty good.

Since you can't name any EPYC specific features that aren't present in Ryzen, what exactly are you thinking the difference is? You whined about official support about ECC, but that's really because it's up to the motherboard MFG to implement ECC and consumer boards generally don't (though some do). ASRack boards will. The average office use barely understands the difference between RAM and storage.

Now, if you talked about security features, MTBF, or some higher QA process, then you'd have a point. But you didn't make any.

In over 25 years, I've never seen a CPU fail except for physical pin damage. I have seen a decent amount of motherboards who didn't make it 8 years.

Tl;dr you seem to have the CPU and motherboard mixed up in terms of enterprise grade components.

Thanked by 2DataWagon Yakooza
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Those bashing Ryzen for not being "server grade" should probably reconsider if they are instead ordering from providers who run Xeon CPUs EOL'd a decade ago.

• DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

@Nyr said:
    Those bashing Ryzen for not being "server grade" should probably reconsider if they are instead ordering from providers who run Xeon CPUs EOL'd a decade ago.

The Ryzen slander usually comes from those who spent tens of thousands on last generation Epyc or Intel Gold/Silver/Platinum processors who have buyer's remorse because a $799 'consumer grade' CPU is better.

• @DataWagon said:

@Nyr said:

The Ryzen slander usually comes from those who spent tens of thousands on last generation Epyc or Intel Gold/Silver/Platinum processors who have buyer's remorse because a $799 'consumer grade' CPU is better.

Tbh, I have rarely heard of downtime cause "cpu was bad". Oh wait. Xeons... 😂.

But there's literally no documentation that mentions why Ryzen is inferior to Epyc. Minus ba humbag hero derp marketing posts.

@skorupion said:

@seriesn said: Rumor has it, if you call my name 3 times a after midnight, you will get an invoice from me. Sad to see you stop at 2 😂.

Come over fam. We got xeons too

Nexus byte
    Nexus byte
    Nexus byte

seriesn
    seriesn
    seriesn

Your bandwidth has been halved.

• @seriesn said: Your bandwidth has been halved.

Filing DMCA right now.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@TimboJones
    Not confused, many years in the industry since the pentium mmx days. I'm not making points specifically other than the CPU is not promoted as / NOR supported by the manufacturer for server environments. Is meant as a workstation or regular consumer usage. Providers be building Frankenstein's.

I like to follow best practices so while I totally get why anyone would sell Ryzen as server grade, (fast, cheap, works, same or better performance than some EPYC's), I like to keep things true to purpose. If anyone is searching for a server and is not for a hobby thing then Xeon or EPYC is the right choice.

Honestly I don't care if Ryzen is 10x faster than the comparable EPYC (certainly not the new ones), is a thing of principles and best practices.

Ryzen, sure works perfect.

IMO there is more proud and respect in serving EPYC CPU's than Ryzen CPU's. But again this is the lowend market, barely professional, people be wanting servers for less than pack of mcdonald fries.

"Best Practices"

Thanked by 1NoComment
    edited March 2021

@seriesn said: Your bandwidth has been halved.

Thank you! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @Hxxx said:

Is there a real difference between server grade CPUs and Ryzen cpus? Some serious design differences? Something else than just "server grade" sticker. I have no idea honestly, that's why I ask.

• @dodheimsgard said:

@Hxxx said:

Is there a real difference between server grade CPUs and Ryzen cpus? Some serious design differences? Something else than just "server grade" sticker. I have no idea honestly, that's why I ask.

The main difference is you get less cores/ram with ryzens. Well, nowadays they are even releasing 16 core ryzens, so you aren't really restricted much in terms of cores. You do however get restricted by max 128 GB ram. In many scenarios, you benefit more from many slow cores and lots of ram than from fewer fast cores and less ram. With epycs/xeons, you can get many more cores, and much more ram. Something like 512GB, 1TB, 2TB etc. This was basically the main idea of "server-grade" to begin with. Many cores and lots of ram.

Apart from this, "server" cpus and motherboards are supposedly designed to be ran 24/7 while "consumer" cpus and motherboards are not. Same thing for other things like disks, power, fans etc. But cpus are really built to last so ryzens probably aren't worse than epycs in terms of longevity. But I do agree with @Hxxx that providers are building frankensteins with ryzens. I do wonder how they are building their machines and racking them up. Are they building their own blades? Surely they are not building 1U racks of ryzens? Maybe they are using smaller form factor motherboards? What else could they be cheaping out on? Do the providers even know themselves? (Since many of these ryzen providers are renting)

I do think about this sometimes but it does not matter for my personal use case. All my servers could go into flames today and I'll just figure something out tomorrow since I wouldn't be losing millions of dollars an hour.

• @smallbibi said:

Apart from this, "server" cpus and motherboards are supposedly designed to be ran 24/7 while "consumer" cpus and motherboards are not. Same thing for other things like disks, power, fans etc. But cpus are really built to last so ryzens probably aren't worse than epycs in terms of longevity. But I do agree with @Hxxx that providers are building frankensteins with ryzens. I do wonder how they are building their machines and racking them up. Are they building their own blades? Surely they are not building 1U racks of ryzens? Maybe they are using smaller form factor motherboards? What else could they be cheaping out on? Do the providers even know themselves? (Since many of these ryzen providers are renting)

I know radic does his own custom chassis.

Most of us are currently mounting 1U and 2Us as that's the standard build offered by asrock and does what it's needed. Unless you are doing liquid cooling, blade isn't a solid option for ryzen yet

Thanked by 1NoComment
  • @Yakooza said: ce Ryzen 9 5900x

@smallbibi said:

@dodheimsgard said:

@Hxxx said:

The main difference is you get less cores/ram with ryzens.

I don't think so , Threadripper™ 3990X has 64 cores - 128 Threads That's planty cores for a consumer CPU !

• @momkin said:

@Yakooza said: ce Ryzen 9 5900x

@smallbibi said:

@dodheimsgard said:

@Hxxx said:

The main difference is you get less cores/ram with ryzens.

I don't think so , Threadripper™ 3990X has 64 cores - 128 Threads That's planty cores for a consumer CPU !

and 256GB DDR4 support