Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upcoming downtime on LowEndTalk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upcoming downtime on LowEndTalk

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Everyone,

Black Friday week has been amazing so far here on LowEndTalk. Traffic has been 7x normal today and has been increasing each day so far this week.

As a result we need to take the site down for a few minutes tonight to perform server upgrades so we can better handle the traffic surge. We tried to plan in advance to handle the extra load but the site views has far exceeded expectations.

I'll post a few minutes before we start. Right now we expect to do it around 9:00pm Eastern US time tonight.

Comments

• Thank you. Navigation on the site is really getting slow.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Roger

• SpeedTestSpeedTest Member
    edited November 2020

Winter (Chine) Is Coming :)

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Thank you for being transparent. We had to do the same exact thing yesterday with our corporate site, unplanned maintenance. Only notification via social media. At least you were able to hold off for a bit.

• already had downtime once myself. Only of a few minutes where cloudflare was working but site crashed. :(

• Yes, it's too slow right now. :(

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Let's hope it goes down and back up quickly.

Just confirmed we are going to proceed at 9:00 PM ET. That's in 1 hour and 10 minutes from now.

Thanked by 1hotlineservers

We are about to proceed with the upgrade.

• And I just got here...

Upgrade has been completed. Only 2 minutes downtime. :)

Thanked by 3kwaralala Cam eva2000
  • This week is equivalent to the New Year of lowendtalk&box.

@Page said:
    This week is equivalent to the New Year of lowendtalk&box.

What do you mean?

• MUCH better load times now. :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh @raindog308 @FAT32

Much better now, almost like on normal days. Thx!

• @jbiloh said:

@Page said:
    This week is equivalent to the New Year of lowendtalk&box.

What do you mean?

Epic moments :D

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

After the upgrade, is this forum still running on (one or more) boxes <=$7 ?

• Thanks for the info @jbiloh, i did start to notice the site slow down a bit.

@jsg said:
    @jbiloh @raindog308 @FAT32

Much better now, almost like on normal days. Thx!

I am glad it's running much better. Load on the web server earlier today was over 100.

@yoursunny said:
    After the upgrade, is this forum still running on (one or more) boxes <=$7 ?

Quite a bit more than $7/month I am afraid. But that's a good thing -- the site gets so much traffic we need some really beefy servers to run LEB and LET.

@DaveRackNerd said:
    Thanks for the info @jbiloh, i did start to notice the site slow down a bit.

Faster is better. :)

• hostnamastehostnamaste Member, Patron Provider

Forum is now lot more faster, very good job @jbiloh

• Yes forum is opening faster nice @jbiloh

@rajat said:
    Yes forum is opening faster nice @jbiloh

Let's see how fast it stays with the very heavy traffic we expect on Friday.

• @jbiloh said:

@rajat said:
    Yes forum is opening faster nice @jbiloh

Let's see how fast it stays with the very heavy traffic we expect on Friday.

yea let see and but as compare to yesterday and today its faster

Seems like the server is running perfectly right now. Knock on wood!

Traffic today is already higher than it was all day Thursday -- and yet the day is only 9.5 hours started (eastern US time).

• @jbiloh said: Black Friday week has been amazing so far here on LowEndTalk. Traffic has been 7x normal today and has been increasing each day so far this week.

If you're using Cloudflare Busines plan you can just configure bypass cache on cookie page rule to enable guest full HTML page caching at Cloudflare CDN level which will allow non-logged in visitors to hit Cloudflare CDN full HTML page cache which would help. Of course that is assuming the increased traffic is for guests and not logged in members.

• @eva2000 it's logged in members constantly hitting F5 as Providers shell out new limited number giveaways. It's attracting new members too.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @dominame said: @eva2000 it's logged in members constantly hitting F5 as Providers shell out new limited number giveaways. It's attracting new members too.

I see, in that case yeah backend upgrades & optimisations probably needed.

@eva2000 said:

@jbiloh said: Black Friday week has been amazing so far here on LowEndTalk. Traffic has been 7x normal today and has been increasing each day so far this week.

If you're using Cloudflare Busines plan you can just configure bypass cache on cookie page rule to enable guest full HTML page caching at Cloudflare CDN level which will allow non-logged in visitors to hit Cloudflare CDN full HTML page cache which would help. Of course that is assuming the increased traffic is for guests and not logged in members.

Certainly appreciate the idea, thanks for sharing. We may implement this if things get slow again later today.

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@jbiloh said: Quite a bit more than $7/month I am afraid. But that's a good thing -- the site gets so much traffic we need some really beefy servers to run LEB and LET.

Sounds like great time to share what's running under the hood for the curious?

Thanked by 1pbx

@wdmg said:

@jbiloh said: Quite a bit more than $7/month I am afraid. But that's a good thing -- the site gets so much traffic we need some really beefy servers to run LEB and LET.

Sounds like great time to share what's running under the hood for the curious?

Digital Ocean gold series high compute containers with 16 cores. Two for LowEndBox and two for LowEndTalk. Then also some backup services, database services, monitoring services and additional backup services at two other service providers for off-site emergency data backup.

Thanked by 4pbx eva2000 yoursunny jsg