Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
looking for a cheap solution to monitor my servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

looking for a cheap solution to monitor my servers

i have about 20 servers including some small vps,i have to find a good but cheap way to monitor their uptime:D
Any recommendations?

Thanked by 1mirrce

Comments

• Uptimerobot, hetrixtools, nixstats.

You also could configure nodeexporter + prometheus & grafana if you want other statistics.

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.baubus.uk
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, HostHatch, HostSailor, HostSolutions, InceptionHosting, LiteServer, MaxKVM, MrVM, ServaRICA, VirMach.

• Hetrixtools ♥

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited November 17

If you want it hosted, Hetrixtools.
    If you want to run selfhosted, Nodeexporter and Grafana.

• @mhosting_in said:
    +1 uptimerobot

👍

• thank u lot , guys :DD

• TejyTejy Member

Observium + SNMP agents on each of your server! :)

• @Tejy said:
    Observium + SNMP agents on each of your server! :)

+1 for Observium, an order of magnitude more complex than a simple monitoring/heartbeat service, but if you're running many servers, some physical by suggestion, it's useful to have all the other background data to work out WHY your uptime is maybe not 100%.

You should be able to run Observium (free CE edition) against 20 nodes on a small single core VPS ~10GB disk (would suggest NVMe disk for the I/O)

• I would do Zabbix for selfhosted and Hetrixtools or Nixstats for service providers.
    You might wanna wait and see if @HBAndrei or @vfuse will have nice offers for us in BF/CM

• There’s alao @NodePing

Thanked by 1NodePing

Ongoing Domain Auctions: LET | LES
    Brandable IT/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale -- Take 30% off for a limited time!

• fLoofLoo Member

Zabbix <3 Using it to monitor ~ 50k endpoints

• New Relic has a free tier now, and PRTG has 100 free sensors.

• dahartigandahartigan Member without signature

Hetrixtools x 1000000000000000000000000000000

• rajatrajat Member, Provider
    edited November 18

hetrixtools

VisualWebTechnologies.com - Your Hosting, Our Responsibility!
    VPS Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Server

• +1 Hetrixtools

• Nice. I see some new names (particularly self hosted) that I can add to my list of uptime monitors...

• Hetrixtools
    UptimeRobot
    Zabbix

I'm use VPS from RamNode ~ I'm use Reseller Hosting from BuyShared

• WiredBladeWiredBlade Member, Provider

@stevevps said:
    i have about 20 servers including some small vps,i have to find a good but cheap way to monitor their uptime:D
    Any recommendations?

Dynu offers monitoring (AKA DNS failover) for as low as $9.99/year. If you use their DNS, you actually have the option to quickly starting using resources on another VPS if the primary one goes down for some reason.

Wired Blade, Inc. [AS398019] - Dedicated Servers & VPS in Phoenix, AZ. Affordable Prices & Excellent Support!
    VPS SALE!! 4 cores 8 GB RAM 60 GB SSD $10 with coupon HALFOFF DDoS Protected, 10Gbps connectivity!

• MrHMrH Member

Nodequery? Hetrixtools is free for 1 sv

• How about cloudradar.io ?

• chipchip Member

Setup nagios on a small vps (doesn't need to be too powerful) and configure

• @stevevps said:
    Any recommendations?

https://www.netdata.cloud

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited November 21

https://github.com/phpservermon/phpservermon

Been around for over a decade, great for small scale monitoring with push or SMS notifications, easier to use and setup than some of the other enterprise-oriented suggestions

If you want to go beyond uptime, or depending on your definition of monitoring uptime (graphs rather than notifications), collectd is great

• PepePepe Member

I'd be curious if someone can compare all of those monitor agents how much are they using resources on VPS.

For example, hetrixtools is using a very negligible amount of RAM, but it can not ping IPv4 and IPv6 addresses at the same time, so you need to set up two monitoring servers and this could be interesting for uptime of specific NAT VPS.

• @TimboJones said:
    New Relic has a free tier now, and PRTG has 100 free sensors.

Looks cool. Any idea how much data a single server will consume sending logs/data/etc? I haven’t successfully found info online about this. How much network speed would be necessary too?

• Logdna is another monitor of logs/etc also.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Provider

@chip said:

Nagios is expensive.

Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@chip said:

Nagios is expensive.

see https://www.nagios.org/downloads/ for free opensource version- so its not expensive

Nothing profound to say, so I'm on LET.

• chipchip Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@chip said:

Nagios is expensive.

The community edition isn't ive used nagios on and off for years and never paid a penny

• @doughnet said:

@TimboJones said:

Looks cool. Any idea how much data a single server will consume sending logs/data/etc? I haven’t successfully found info online about this. How much network speed would be necessary too?

I have like 13 hosts added to the inventory and I think it's like 8 or 16GB per month (out of 100GB). So I take that to mean you can monitor a ton on a single server and no worries of overage. Maybe it averages out to 100 servers on their free tier, give or take.

• @TimboJones said:

@doughnet said:

@TimboJones said:

I have like 13 hosts added to the inventory and I think it's like 8 or 16GB per month (out of 100GB). So I take that to mean you can monitor a ton on a single server and no worries of overage. Maybe it averages out to 100 servers on their free tier, give or take.

Awesome thank you for the info!!

• first of all, you need to confirm what type of monitoring you need. From the "check uptime" perspective you can set up a simple cron for the "uptime" command and send an email with that, but I doubt it's what you are trying to achieve. So in fact with full server monitoring best way is to do that with Agents type. It means that all information is sent by agents to the master server/service so you can have a centralized system to store all that data(resources, traffic monitoring, etc.). That system/service can be done through 2 methods:

• 3rd party when in most cases you need to pay for that(NewRelic as additional to all mentioned before)
    • your own server/VPS based on SNMP type of collection. Nginx, Zabbix etc. All of them have a free type and can be tweaked with plugins to monitor everything you need.
  • oplinkoplink Member, Provider

librenms.org

• @darkimmortal said:
    https://github.com/phpservermon/phpservermon

Been around for over a decade, great for small scale monitoring with push or SMS notifications, easier to use and setup than some of the other enterprise-oriented suggestions

If you want to go beyond uptime, or depending on your definition of monitoring uptime (graphs rather than notifications), collectd is great

I have been using this for a few years and it does the job

• can do ping test
    • can ping custom ports
    • Set maintance slots so it does not send out and notfications
  • Have u try nodequery?

• You can do simple monitoring yourself with a script and a cron daemon. Are you asking for monitoring from different parts of the world?

• @ariq01 said:
    Have u try nodequery?

NodeQuery is dead AFAIK?

• @lokuzard said:

@ariq01 said:
    Have u try nodequery?

NodeQuery is dead AFAIK?

Well, up to 10 servers works. They say to contact them and they'll increase it (20 in OP), but who knows if they respond anymore.

• Nagios, no doubt!

• Zabbix is good, have had a good experience with using that for monitoring. I know a few large hosting providers use it as well.