Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for a cheap solution to monitor my servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for a cheap solution to monitor my servers

i have about 20 servers including some small vps,i have to find a good but cheap way to monitor their uptime:D
Any recommendations?

Thanked by 1mirrce

Comments

• Uptimerobot, hetrixtools, nixstats.

You also could configure nodeexporter + prometheus & grafana if you want other statistics.

• Hetrixtools ♥

• +1 uptimerobot

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited November 2020

If you want it hosted, Hetrixtools.
    If you want to run selfhosted, Nodeexporter and Grafana.

• @mhosting_in said:
    +1 uptimerobot

👍

• thank u lot , guys :DD

• Observium + SNMP agents on each of your server! :)

• @Tejy said:
    Observium + SNMP agents on each of your server! :)

+1 for Observium, an order of magnitude more complex than a simple monitoring/heartbeat service, but if you're running many servers, some physical by suggestion, it's useful to have all the other background data to work out WHY your uptime is maybe not 100%.

You should be able to run Observium (free CE edition) against 20 nodes on a small single core VPS ~10GB disk (would suggest NVMe disk for the I/O)

• I would do Zabbix for selfhosted and Hetrixtools or Nixstats for service providers.
    You might wanna wait and see if @HBAndrei or @vfuse will have nice offers for us in BF/CM

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

There’s alao @NodePing

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • Zabbix <3 Using it to monitor ~ 50k endpoints

• New Relic has a free tier now, and PRTG has 100 free sensors.

• Hetrixtools x 1000000000000000000000000000000

• Hetrixtools, very awesome. Much wow!

• visualwebtechnologiesvisualwebtechnologies Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2020

hetrixtools

• +1 Hetrixtools

• Nice. I see some new names (particularly self hosted) that I can add to my list of uptime monitors...

• Hetrixtools
    UptimeRobot
    Zabbix

• @stevevps said:
    i have about 20 servers including some small vps,i have to find a good but cheap way to monitor their uptime:D
    Any recommendations?

Dynu offers monitoring (AKA DNS failover) for as low as $9.99/year. If you use their DNS, you actually have the option to quickly starting using resources on another VPS if the primary one goes down for some reason.

• Nodequery? Hetrixtools is free for 1 sv

• How about cloudradar.io ?

• Setup nagios on a small vps (doesn't need to be too powerful) and configure

• @stevevps said:
    Any recommendations?

https://www.netdata.cloud

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited November 2020

https://github.com/phpservermon/phpservermon

Been around for over a decade, great for small scale monitoring with push or SMS notifications, easier to use and setup than some of the other enterprise-oriented suggestions

If you want to go beyond uptime, or depending on your definition of monitoring uptime (graphs rather than notifications), collectd is great

• I'd be curious if someone can compare all of those monitor agents how much are they using resources on VPS.

For example, hetrixtools is using a very negligible amount of RAM, but it can not ping IPv4 and IPv6 addresses at the same time, so you need to set up two monitoring servers and this could be interesting for uptime of specific NAT VPS.

• @TimboJones said:
    New Relic has a free tier now, and PRTG has 100 free sensors.

Looks cool. Any idea how much data a single server will consume sending logs/data/etc? I haven’t successfully found info online about this. How much network speed would be necessary too?

• Logdna is another monitor of logs/etc also.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@chip said:
    Setup nagios on a small vps (doesn't need to be too powerful) and configure

Nagios is expensive.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@chip said:

Nagios is expensive.

see https://www.nagios.org/downloads/ for free opensource version- so its not expensive

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@chip said:

Nagios is expensive.

The community edition isn't ive used nagios on and off for years and never paid a penny