Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSlick? No, thanks...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSlick? No, thanks...

Long story short:
Opened ticket for reverse-dns, HostSlick promised to do, did not do anything for more than month, and sometimes later deleted my ticket without saying a word.

Short story long:
Sometimes last year I got VPS from HostSlick (iirc it was BF-promo posted here). All went well till the day when I asked for PTR (reverse record pointing IP to hostname.domain.tld). After they finally seemed to understand what I asked for and promised to do it, what followed was a shitload full of excuses and stories of broken hardware, damaged databases, missing staff, overloaded support, public holidays, new orders, etc, etc, etc. Day after day, Week after week, all the same bullshit.

After one month I stopped following it closely so I do not know exact date when it happened, but when I later checked customer portal I found they simply removed my ticket asking for PTR completely, with all its history, without saying a word. Not closed, not rejected. Just deleted, as it never existed. That's how HostSlick "solves" problems!

I know I can not expect premium support for yearly promo vps. I know HostSlick has right to refuse setting up reverse record. I know shit happens (usually in the worst time). But I also know a little about dns. There is no excuse for a "pro" not being able to set up single reverse domain record in a month. If you already have dn-server running, it is trivial task of adding single line in zone-file (or one key/value pair into database).

I decided to cancel this VPS. I could live without PTR had they simply declined my request, but the way they handled all this shows HostSlick is unreliable partner. They promise something, and they do not fulfill it. And deleting valid support-ticket without saying a word is like spitting into my face. Some customers may tolerate such a behaviour. But I do not. Not even for BF-deals...

Comments

• well, you got away easy with those guys. I'm not going to buy a blackfriday deal from anyone, ever, anymore. they seem like using inferior quality hardware for the nodes that seat BF plans.

Details here..

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/167057/hostslick-2-major-meltdowns-v-unreliable#latest

Thanked by 1Jarry
  • @godslayer said:
    well, you got away easy with those guys. I'm not going to buy a blackfriday deal from anyone, ever, anymore. they seem like using inferior quality hardware for the nodes that seat BF plans.

Virmach Says Hello.

My BF Deal $25 / year Windows Server, is still kicking ass for 2 years. And I am using it for production server.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Proof or GTFO kthx

• @yokowasis said:

@godslayer said:
    well, you got away easy with those guys. I'm not going to buy a blackfriday deal from anyone, ever, anymore. they seem like using inferior quality hardware for the nodes that seat BF plans.

Virmach Says Hello.

My BF Deal $25 / year Windows Server, is still kicking ass for 2 years. And I am using it for production server.

Hello @VirMach ,

Rescue usssss :'(

• Seems like problems are surfacing at Lelystad Media Tower. :)
    Slayers gonna slay, @HostSlayer! Even if you're just a friend of him.

Thanked by 1godslayer
  • hmm, I can manage reverse dns for my box with them on my own within virtualizor... did the cheap BF offer from last year not come with that panel? seems like those deals now sadly turned into a lossleader mess.

I got my service only in july and it's going strong so far, nothing to complain 🤷‍♂️

• @Falzo said:
    hmm, I can manage reverse dns for my box with them on my own within virtualizor...

I think it depends on node. I too tried to change it in control panel just to get message "can not be done here, contact support"...

• edited September 2020

@Jarry said:

@Falzo said:
    hmm, I can manage reverse dns for my box with them on my own within virtualizor...

I think it depends on node. I too tried to change it in control panel just to get message "can not be done here, contact support"...

Have your DNS point to your VPS before you set the rDNS?

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Have your DNS point to your VPS before you set the rDNS?

Of course. That's the first thing I do after getting new VPS: connect to my master dn-server and set up A-record.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

If it says it cannot be done from the panel then it means it was disabled which then means it will need to go through tickets/support to get it done or they won't support it at all, for that particular services/deal.

• @yokowasis said:

@godslayer said:

Virmach Says Hello.

Virmach has turned to a shit show, and its just a matter of time before they pack up and disappear. SolusVM / Control Panel integration has been lying broken for months. Don't try re-installing / rebooting from within the panel, unless you want that VM to RIP.

Luckily, I moved most of my hobby projects a couple of years ago, as their deals / resource usage restrictions became increasingly unsustainable / unreasonable. I am finally down to a couple of 3bucks/yr idlers in DE, which I am going to cancel at the end of the billing term.

TL;DR version - Race to the bottom ceases to be fun when you actually come up with an actual use case for that random idler that you bought on an impulse :tongue:

• @K4Y5 said:

@yokowasis said:

@godslayer said:

Virmach Says Hello.

Virmach has turned to a shit show, and its just a matter of time before they pack up and disappear. SolusVM / Control Panel integration has been lying broken for months. Don't try re-installing / rebooting from within the panel, unless you want that VM to RIP.

Luckily, I moved most of my hobby projects a couple of years ago, as their deals / resource usage restrictions became increasingly unsustainable / unreasonable. I am finally down to a couple of 3bucks/yr idlers in DE, which I am going to cancel at the end of the billing term.

TL;DR version - Race to the bottom ceases to be fun when you actually come up with an actual use case for that random idler that you bought on an impulse :tongue:

Wow. Good things I've never needed to reboot / reinstall / use the panel.

• @thedp said:
    If it says it cannot be done from the panel then it means it was disabled which then means it will need to go through tickets/support to get it done or they won't support it at all, for that particular services/deal.

And that is exactly what I did, as you can read in my top post ;-)

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Jarry said:

@thedp said:

And that is exactly what I did, as you can read in my top post ;-)

Yeah I know, just saying ☺️ as it’s not just them, there are other providers like that too.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2020

@Jarry said: Long story short:
    Opened ticket for reverse-dns, HostSlick promised to do, did not do anything for more than month, and sometimes later deleted my ticket without saying a word.

Like @Falzo, I have one of @HostSlick's July specials, and the VPS itself has been fine so far. I was also able to set rDNS for IPv4 via the control panel (Virtualizor), so this wasn't an issue.

At the same time, I had an experience somewhat similar to @Jarry's, but in my case it was with respect to setting rDNS for IPv6. This couldn't be done via Virtualizor, and so I opened a ticket to ask whether they could set rDNS for my IPv6 address. They answered quickly and said that it wasn't yet possible to set rDNS for IPv6 via Virtualizor but that they would forward my ticket to their technical support. For many days, my ticket was marked as having been "escalated". During this time, it was unclear to me whether they would be able to set rDNS for my IPv6 address, but I decided that although rDNS for IPv6 would be nice, I could also live without it.

What I found odd was that suddenly one day, my ticket was deleted. It's one thing not to be able to set rDNS for IPv6 (even though I don't understand why it's so difficult), but it's another thing to delete tickets. :/ (I have thought of opening a ticket to ask why my ticket was deleted, but I haven't yet done so.)

Given that @Jarry's ticket was also deleted, I find this practice of deleting tickets worrisome. If the practice is intentional, it's worrisome, and if it's a bug in the system, it's worrisome.

Thanked by 3vimalware Jarry skorous
  • @angstrom they didn't send a reply with "Congratulations on your first ticket?"

Thanked by 2angstrom TimboJones
  • @angstrom said: Given that @Jarry's ticket was also deleted, I find this practice of deleting tickets worrisome. If the practice is intentional, it's worrisome, and if it's a bug in the system, it's worrisome.

we had this problem last year if i correct remember with whmcs , is easy to resolve by opening a tiket in whmcs and will send you a file to replace it in the root directory. Our personal case was if a tiket was opened more than 7 days was automatically dissapear from whmcs. After huge numbers of reclamations from our clients we have opened a tiket in whmcs.com and was resolved in the same day. This issue was related to departments in whmcs (for some reason the tiket is forward to a unexistent department and this is make it to dissapear) .... i dont know if is the same case but is easy to resolve my update the whmcs because in the latest version this issue is resolved.

edited September 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    @angstrom they didn't send a reply with "Congratulations on your first ticket?"

Unfortunately, not: I would have happily accepted congratulations as long as my ticket weren't deleted. :)

• @cociu said:

@angstrom said: Given that @Jarry's ticket was also deleted, I find this practice of deleting tickets worrisome. If the practice is intentional, it's worrisome, and if it's a bug in the system, it's worrisome.

we had this problem last year if i correct remember with whmcs , is easy to resolve by opening a tiket in whmcs and will send you a file to replace it in the root directory. Our personal case was if a tiket was opened more than 7 days was automatically dissapear from whmcs. After huge numbers of reclamations from our clients we have opened a tiket in whmcs.com and was resolved in the same day. This issue was related to departments in whmcs (for some reason the tiket is forward to a unexistent department and this is make it to dissapear) .... i dont know if is the same case but is easy to resolve my update the whmcs because in the latest version this issue is resolved.

Okay, good, this is useful: @HostSlick should take note of this.

• @angstrom said:
    Given that @Jarry's ticket was also deleted, I find this practice of deleting tickets worrisome. If the practice is intentional, it's worrisome, and if it's a bug in the system, it's worrisome.

In my case I'm pretty sure it was intentional. I asked later why they did it, and got no answer at all. And one more thing: I got impression support staff had actually no idea what reverse-record is. In my request I wrote something like:

"could you please set up reverse-record (PTR) for my VPS (the only I had with HostSlick), pointing IPv4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to fully qualified domain name somehost.mydomain.tld? As you can check, I already set up forward record (A)"

It took two weeks and 5 or 6 more mails/messages from HostSlick with various question (what record, did you say? And what IP? Where should we set it up? etc, etc) till they finally understood what I wanted. Either they had no idea about how DNS works, or they were trying to play ball long enough for me to forget I asked for something...

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Jarry said:

@angstrom said:

In my case I'm pretty sure it was intentional. I asked later why they did it, and got no answer at all. And one more thing: I got impression support staff had actually no idea what reverse-record is. In my request I wrote something like:

"could you please set up reverse-record (PTR) for my VPS (the only I had with HostSlick), pointing IPv4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to fully qualified domain name somehost.mydomain.tld? As you can check, I already set up forward record (A)"

It took two weeks and 5 or 6 more mails/messages from HostSlick with various question (what record, did you say? And what IP? Where should we set it up? etc, etc) till they finally understood what I wanted. Either they had no idea about how DNS works, or they were trying to play ball long enough for me to forget I asked for something...

What our two cases have in common is that our rDNS requests (yours for IPv4, mine for IPv6) weren't fulfilled and that our tickets were suddenly inexplicably deleted.

I understand your frustration, and it puzzles me why they didn't seem to understand your initial ticket immediately. In my case, I had the impression that they did understand my initial ticket.

My inclination would be to give @HostSlick the benefit of the doubt as far as the deleted tickets are concerned, especially after reading @cociu's comment. I don't see how it would be in @HostSlick's interest to delete (some? all?) tickets intentionally (but perhaps I'm naive).

If it's due to a bug in their ticket system, then presumably other customers have also experienced ticket loss. It would seem unlikely that it would be just your and my tickets.

• @angstrom said:

@Unbelievable said:
    @angstrom they didn't send a reply with "Congratulations on your first ticket?"

Unfortunately, not: I would have happily accepted congratulations as long as my ticket weren't deleted. :)

You see, they realized they missed an opportunity so they deleted the ticket so you'd create a new first ticket and now you'll be congratulated.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • godslayergodslayer Member
    edited September 2020

As i said, you got away with this fairly easily. I had RAIDs on my VPS failed twice over 6 month period, data gone, VPS deleted.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @godslayer said:
    As i said, you got away with this fairly easily. I had RAIDs on my VPS failed twice over 6 month period, data gone, VPS deleted.

A general reminder to all that RAID != backup. RAID is only good to keep the server up and minimize downtime, it should never be relied on as a backup

Thanked by 2vimalware TimboJones
    edited September 2020

@godslayer said:

Indeed, that was an unfortunate major hardware mishap, and I can understand anyone's frustration who was on that node, but I felt that @HostSlick very frankly described what happened in the other thread.

I would still like to believe that @HostSlick are a decent provider, despite the (presumably unintentional) mishaps. As I said above, my VPS from July has been running well so far (knock on wood).