Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup announces EPYC Root Servers (dedicated cores)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup announces EPYC Root Servers (dedicated cores)

pbxpbx Member
edited May 2020 in General

Hey LET.

Netcup news once again, seems like they started to sell their new "Root Server" line.

Strangely the price is cheaper on the page of their german website than on the European one.

On the German one we find this:

RS 1000 G9

AMD EPYC™ 7702
 8 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC)
 2 dedizierte Kerne
 160 GB SSD
 Snapshots (Copy-On-Write)
 Remote-Konsole...

for 8,40€ per month while it's 10€ on their EU website.

Original announcement in german: https://www.netcup-news.de/2020/05/26/netcup-launcht-neue-root-server-generation-9-auf-amd-epyc-der-7002-serie/

What do you think? Seems like they offer nice value for the money, with the smaller plans available it seems more interesting to me than contabo latest offers . Of course a real special on their Root Server series would have been cool. Not sure it's gonna happen anytime soon tho...

Edit: 5 EUR promo code (aff) in case some folks might enjoy one, makes it possible to test such VPS at half price first month: 36nc15825765594 / 36nc15825765593 / 36nc15825765592 / 36nc15825765591 / 36nc15825765590 - Can be redeemed at a specific URL: netcup.de / netcup.eu.

Thanked by 2Ympker RedSox

Comments

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

Interesting plans indeed.

• debaserdebaser Member

pbx said: for 8,40€ per month while it's 10€ on their EU website.

The German site lets you choose: a one year contract for 8,40 EUR/month (paid per 6 months), a halfyearly contract for 9,40 EUR and a monthly contract for 10,40 EUR.

On the international site you can only pick a monthly contract. Probably done to prevent drama from customers that refuse to pay after a few months.

• pbxpbx Member

debaser said: The German site lets you choose: a one year contract for 8,40 EUR/month (paid per 6 months), a halfyearly contract for 9,40 EUR and a monthly contract for 10,40 EUR.

On the international site you can only pick a monthly contract. Probably done to prevent drama from customers that refuse to pay after a few months.

Good catch thanks. As you say it's probably to avoid drama. It's a shame as that's a better deal, and yearly contracts are no big deal if you intend to stay long term with your provider. Do you know if international customers can order on the german site? Always used the .eu one...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@pbx said:

debaser said: The German site lets you choose: a one year contract for 8,40 EUR/month (paid per 6 months), a halfyearly contract for 9,40 EUR and a monthly contract for 10,40 EUR.

Good catch thanks. As you say it's probably to avoid drama. It's a shame as that's a better deal, and yearly contracts are no big deal if you intend to stay long term with your provider. Do you know if international customers can order on the german site? Always used the .eu one...

Good to see they offer monthly (for international) customers now, as I can imagine this has lead much drama in the past.

Thanked by 3pbx RedSox webcraft
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited May 2020

Ympker said: Good to see they offer monthly (for international) customers now, as I can imagine this has lead much drama in the past.

Yep.

Asked them and they told me that anyone could order on their .de site, so the 12 month commitment promo is available for anyone, just have to go to netcup.de rather than .eu website. Wise move as it probably make sense to limit the .eu order form to monthly contract as that probably avoid many support ticket and angry customers, and the folks who want the yearly deal still can get it...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2020

Contabobuster.
    Bench? Benchmark? anyone?

Thanked by 4RedSox BBTN pbx Ympker
  • tester4tester4 Member
    edited May 2020

Does anyone know if nested virt is enabled? Also, waiting on some benchmarks!!

• BBTNBBTN Member

@tester4 said:
    Does anyone know if nested virt is enabled? Also, waiting on some benchmarks!!

Found some Geekbench5 benchmarks for the 2 and 6 core offer:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2301913

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2302195

Thanked by 2pbx vimalware
  • tester4tester4 Member

I bit the bullet and ordered one, apparently my order requires manual verification. Is this standard practice for netcup?

• BBTNBBTN Member
    edited May 2020

@tester4 said:
    I bit the bullet and ordered one, apparently my order requires manual verification. Is this standard practice for netcup?

It is, at least for you very first order with them.
    They are legit. :)

Which one did you order?

[edit]
    This is my E5-2680 6 core "Adv17 RS 1000 Plus" (26.97€/3m) with them:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2309201

Yet I hesitate to upgrade.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • tester4tester4 Member

@BBTN said:

@tester4 said:

It is, at least for you very first order with them.
    They are legit. :)

Which one did you order?

Highest one, replacing my OVH dedi with it providing I/O is good.

Thanked by 2BBTN pbx
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited May 2020

tester4 said: Highest one

Seems like a beast. Could you please share a yabs benchmark with us when you'll have it?

• Sad I can't cancel my current contract with them. Would have upgraded to this.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • tester4tester4 Member

@pbx said:

tester4 said: Highest one

Seems like a beast. Could you please share a yabs benchmark with us when you'll have it?

Sure, have sent my ID and waiting on response :)

• tester4tester4 Member

Find it below @pbx

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-02-10                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed May 27 16:22:02 CEST 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 10 @ 1996.242 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 62G
    Swap       : 0B
    Disk       : 2.0T

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 139.65 MB/s  (34.9k) | 1.80 GB/s    (28.1k)
    Write      | 140.02 MB/s  (35.0k) | 1.81 GB/s    (28.3k)
    Total      | 279.67 MB/s  (69.9k) | 3.61 GB/s    (56.5k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 3.49 GB/s     (6.8k) | 3.63 GB/s     (3.5k)
    Write      | 3.67 GB/s     (7.1k) | 3.87 GB/s     (3.7k)
    Total      | 7.16 GB/s    (14.0k) | 7.51 GB/s     (7.3k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 2.23 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.95 Gbits/sec  | 2.37 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 2.11 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 2.40 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 55.7 Mbits/sec  | 233 Mbits/sec
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 924 Mbits/sec   | 868 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 699 Mbits/sec   | 2.07 Gbits/sec
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 301 Mbits/sec   | 712 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | busy            | busy

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.77 Gbits/sec  | 2.33 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.47 Gbits/sec  | 2.31 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.41 Gbits/sec  | 2.33 Gbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 2.39 Gbits/sec  | 2.35 Gbits/sec
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 340 Mbits/sec   | 778 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 522 Mbits/sec   | 950 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1042
    Multi Core      | 9517
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2316044

Thanked by 3pbx BBTN RedSox
  • pbxpbx Member

tester4 said: below

Thanks! Seems to be a nice little box. :smile:

• @tester4 said:
    Find it below @pbx

how much does it cost ?

• tester4tester4 Member

@yokowasis said:

@tester4 said:
    Find it below @pbx

how much does it cost ?

46 EUR a month, month to month on their international website. It's a bargain for what it is.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited May 2020

For reference, this is their RS 2000 SSDx4 G8 BF19 for 10.99/month (4 cores of a Gold 6230, 16 GB Ram, 240 GB SSD storage, 1G Internet speed, 40TB bandwidth, Black Friday 2019, price on annual basis)

YABS

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2327538

The server had most services down but it was not on a blank state.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • uzaysanuzaysan Member

@sgheghele said:
    For reference, this is their RS 2000 SSDx4 G8 BF19 for 10.99/month (4 cores of a Gold 6230, 16 GB Ram, 240 GB SSD storage, 1G Internet speed, 40TB bandwidth, Black Friday 2019, price on annual basis)

YABS

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2327538

The server had most services down but it was not on a blank state.

I get similar cpu results when I do test in hetzner vps servers. but not sure if hetzner allow 7/24 cpu intensive tasks.

• @tester4 unlimited bandwidth on the 2.5g, our similar to contabo with throttling? Won’t leave my ex42 but very interesting if no limits

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited May 2020

@king8654 said:
    @tester4 unlimited bandwidth on the 2.5g, our similar to contabo with throttling? Won’t leave my ex42 but very interesting if no limits

It is unlimited flat-rate bandwidth, which in their terms says any use of 1Gbps or more for longer than 1 hour on average that they reserve the right to limit you to 200/200. It also says any more usage than 120TB per month can lead to a 200/200 limitation. However, so far I've been able to do 2Gbps down and 2Gbps upload at the same time for bursts with no problems.

Providing you aren't using 1Gbps 24/7 and don't plan on using virtualisation, this server is definetely worth the money with practically no difference to a dedicated server in terms of load/resource usage so far.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @tester4 said:

@king8654 said:
    @tester4 unlimited bandwidth on the 2.5g, our similar to contabo with throttling? Won’t leave my ex42 but very interesting if no limits

It is unlimited flat-rate bandwidth, which in their terms says any use of 1Gbps or more for longer than 1 hour on average that they reserve the right to limit you to 200/200. It also says any more usage than 120TB per month can lead to a 200/200 limitation. However, so far I've been able to do 2Gbps down and 2Gbps upload at the same time for bursts with no problems.

Providing you aren't using 1Gbps 24/7 and don't plan on using virtualisation, this server is definetely worth the money with practically no difference to a dedicated server in terms of load/resource usage so far.

That is something shy of 300mbit/s sustained, isn't it? Doesn't look bad.

• pbxpbx Member

tester4 said: this server is definetely worth the money with practically no difference to a dedicated server in terms of load/resource usage so far.

Right, and the hardware is monitored and so on: best of both worlds!

• Got me a shiny new RS2000 G9. Performance is amazing... Network is blazing fast.

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 1996.204 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 15G
    Swap       : 2.0G
    Disk       : 317G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 172.46 MB/s  (43.1k) | 2.04 GB/s    (32.0k)
    Write      | 172.91 MB/s  (43.2k) | 2.05 GB/s    (32.1k)
    Total      | 345.37 MB/s  (86.3k) | 4.10 GB/s    (64.1k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 3.44 GB/s     (6.7k) | 3.63 GB/s     (3.5k)
    Write      | 3.62 GB/s     (7.0k) | 3.87 GB/s     (3.7k)
    Total      | 7.07 GB/s    (13.8k) | 7.50 GB/s     (7.3k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 2.17 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 2.02 Gbits/sec  | 2.36 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 2.26 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 2.39 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 415 Mbits/sec   | 229 Mbits/sec
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 925 Mbits/sec   | 924 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 568 Mbits/sec   | 2.09 Gbits/sec
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 318 Mbits/sec   | 775 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 633 Mbits/sec   | 771 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.84 Gbits/sec  | 2.33 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.55 Gbits/sec  | 2.30 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | 2.33 Gbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 2.43 Gbits/sec  | 2.35 Gbits/sec
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 289 Mbits/sec   | 671 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 583 Mbits/sec   | 830 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 977
    Multi Core      | 3725
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2347415

Thanked by 3sgheghele BBTN pbx
  • SkyriderSkyrider Member
    edited May 2020

I upgraded my RS 4000 G8E server to a RS 4000 G9 and created a Serverscope benchmark:

RS 4000 G8E: https://serverscope.io/trials/AZZM
    RS 4000 G9: https://serverscope.io/trials/NYYy

That's quite the difference between the old and new generation. And a nice SSD storage upgrade as well (from 140 to 800GB).

Prolly should have used other benchmark tools as well, but I have to admit. I only paid 5 euro's extra for a very nice upgrade.

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • @Skyrider said:
    I upgraded my RS 4000 G8E server to a RS 4000 G9 and created a Serverscope benchmark:

RS 4000 G8E: https://serverscope.io/trials/AZZM
    RS 4000 G9: https://serverscope.io/trials/NYYy

That's quite the difference between the old and new generation. And a nice SSD storage upgrade as well (from 140 to 800GB).

Prolly should have used other benchmark tools as well, but I have to admit. I only paid 5 euro's extra for a very nice upgrade.

Do they provide an upgrade path, or do you need to cancel your current one, pay up to the agreed date, and purchase the new one?

• SkyriderSkyrider Member
    edited May 2020

You are unable to upgrade your G8 to G9. I contacted support to have mine cancelled (without me paying for next month as well due to the 31 days notice). So I had to buy a G9 server separately . But that's not something they will always do.

• @Skyrider said:
    You are unable to upgrade your G8 to G9. I contacted support to have mine cancelled (without me paying for next month as well due to the 31 days notice). So I had to buy a G9 server separately . But that's not something they will always do.

Yeah..I’m paying for mine on an annual basis. Guess that I’ll have to decide on whether to idle my G8 and get a G9 or keep using what I bought already for once.

But that storage speed..I guess that it will go down as their nodes should be empty now.

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited May 2020

Kimsufi 3C with i5 2400, France:: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2352213
    Netcup RS 2000 G9: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2352164

Netcup 5 euro discount coupon (aff):
    36nc15908634044
    36nc15908634043
    36nc15908634042
    36nc15908634041
    36nc15908634040

Anyone knows what the bandwidth limit is on those servers?