Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Recommended great value dedi with HIGH cpu for encoding, ram unimportant, around 200gb HD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Recommended great value dedi with HIGH cpu for encoding, ram unimportant, around 200gb HD?

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited March 16 in Providers

Those specs will do.

I would like to spend most of the budget on processor as that is most important for encoding. Ram is insignificant, I think 2gb would be fine, HD 200 would suffice I think, maybe even 100gb.

Most dedi options seem an 'even spread' of specs across CPU/ram/HD so in such cases that is wasting money for me. Any that can be custom made to max out CPU for what I am paying with min ram and modest HDD?

Suggestions?

As for price I am open but under $100 per month. I want to test first to see how much more productivity I get out of a dedi/better specs vs my current dual $5 per month contabos. So maybe around $50 dollar per month price tag and check the productivity increase and go from there. But would like to hear options across that price range; anything under $100 given the specs I stated.

EDIT: looking at the current HD usage of the contabo servers which have 200GB I am using less than 50% of that so probably 100gb would do fine if it meant saving a few dollars and giving more available to allot to more cpu horsepower.

Comments

  • probably ur best best is just heizner auction or preoreder their AX51-NVME(ryzen 3700x).

    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Provider

    We custom build the zen minidedis, but offering just 120GB SSD does not make business sense for us sadly :( Still you can get Ryzen 3400G fairly cheap with 256G NVMe OS drive.

    Due to the current situation however delivery times are quite long.

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    If the only requirement is best CPU for the money, the AX41 is pretty much unbeatable. Grab the NVMe variant and go to town.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    Does your encoder support GPU offloading? If so, perhaps our Intel E series dedicated servers with iGPU may be suitable for you?

    Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £45/m - Our Latest LET Offer

    Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

  • KaribuKaribu Member

    I am using as well CPU intensive tasks. (CPU rendering, computing,..)

    I've tried Joe Datacenter and their 2x X5650 (34 USD), Reprise hosting and their 2x E5-2650L v2 (50 USD) and Reliable site and their AMD Ryzen 3900X (80 USD).
    In pure ratio CPU perf/price, X5650 is 1st, then Ryzen, then 2650L.

    I think the ServDiscount and 1700x will be a good choice as well.

    On the paper, the best I found for CPU perf / price is VPSRUS
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/162573/dedicated-at-18-00-check-inside#latest for their Dual Xeon X5680 followed by Dual L5640 . But all out of stock.

  • @AC_Fan said:
    If the only requirement is best CPU for the money, the AX41 is pretty much unbeatable. Grab the NVMe variant and go to town.

    Useful to know what company you are talking about...

    @Karibu said:
    I am using as well CPU intensive tasks. (CPU rendering, computing,..)

    I've tried Joe Datacenter and their 2x X5650 (34 USD), Reprise hosting and their 2x E5-2650L v2 (50 USD) and Reliable site and their AMD Ryzen 3900X (80 USD).
    In pure ratio CPU perf/price, X5650 is 1st, then Ryzen, then 2650L.

    I think the ServDiscount and 1700x will be a good choice as well.

    On the paper, the best I found for CPU perf / price is VPSRUS
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/162573/dedicated-at-18-00-check-inside#latest for their Dual Xeon X5680 followed by Dual L5640 . But all out of stock.

    Thanks, will look into these in a couple days.

    Ditto. Will have to sniff further to see what will suit me best.

  • NeoonNeoon Member

    @lowendguy7 said:

    @AC_Fan said:
    If the only requirement is best CPU for the money, the AX41 is pretty much unbeatable. Grab the NVMe variant and go to town.

    Useful to know what company you are talking about...

    @Karibu said:
    I am using as well CPU intensive tasks. (CPU rendering, computing,..)

    I've tried Joe Datacenter and their 2x X5650 (34 USD), Reprise hosting and their 2x E5-2650L v2 (50 USD) and Reliable site and their AMD Ryzen 3900X (80 USD).
    In pure ratio CPU perf/price, X5650 is 1st, then Ryzen, then 2650L.

    I think the ServDiscount and 1700x will be a good choice as well.

    On the paper, the best I found for CPU perf / price is VPSRUS
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/162573/dedicated-at-18-00-check-inside#latest for their Dual Xeon X5680 followed by Dual L5640 . But all out of stock.

    Thanks, will look into these in a couple days.

    Ditto. Will have to sniff further to see what will suit me best.

    Take a lot at https://en.metadedi.net you can sort by cpu benchmark, so you can get the cheapest right ahead.

    Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @lowendguy7 said:

    @AC_Fan said:
    If the only requirement is best CPU for the money, the AX41 is pretty much unbeatable. Grab the NVMe variant and go to town.

    Useful to know what company you are talking about...

    @Karibu said:
    I am using as well CPU intensive tasks. (CPU rendering, computing,..)

    I've tried Joe Datacenter and their 2x X5650 (34 USD), Reprise hosting and their 2x E5-2650L v2 (50 USD) and Reliable site and their AMD Ryzen 3900X (80 USD).
    In pure ratio CPU perf/price, X5650 is 1st, then Ryzen, then 2650L.

    I think the ServDiscount and 1700x will be a good choice as well.

    On the paper, the best I found for CPU perf / price is VPSRUS
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/162573/dedicated-at-18-00-check-inside#latest for their Dual Xeon X5680 followed by Dual L5640 . But all out of stock.

    Thanks, will look into these in a couple days.

    Ditto. Will have to sniff further to see what will suit me best.

    Hetzner is love. Hetzner is life. In addition to metaDedi, you can also use ServerHunter and sort by CPU Benchmark per Dollar, in which the AX41 is one of the top contenders.

  • Love the shit out of my ex42. 40e/month and Prob never drop it unless upgrade to ex62 when no setup fee deal comes back around. Really can't beat the specs

    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited July 30

    Any update on this? I was trying metadedi and serverhunter sites for comparing and couldn't really understand it what filters to use for my case :blush:

    Hetzner seems like a favorite here. I have used them before and happy but always interested in hearing about what else is out there.

    What about the options where I can pay only for CPU and HD? most beefy cpu options have huge ram as well which costs a lot so it is a big waste of money for me as ram is a large part of the monthly fee with those options. Would like a custom build of huge cpu and only a couple gigs of ram and modest HD.

    Hmm I might look into @PulsedMedia , wow 3 - 4 weeks setup time! Nobody got time fo dat! I wanna test quickly month by month.

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @lowendguy7 said:
    Any update on this? I was trying metadedi and serverhunter sites for comparing and couldn't really understand it what filters to use for my case :blush:

    Hetzner seems like a favorite here. I have used them before and happy but always interested in hearing about what else is out there.

    What about the options where I can pay only for CPU and HD? most beefy cpu options have huge ram as well which costs a lot so it is a big waste of money for me as ram is a large part of the monthly fee with those options. Would like a custom build of huge cpu and only a couple gigs of ram and modest HD.

    Hmm I might look into @PulsedMedia , wow 3 - 4 weeks setup time! Nobody got time fo dat! I wanna test quickly month by month.

    Sort by price per CPU benchmark on the websites, with appropriate filters (SSDs etc.), The components aren't the only cost, building that stuff takes time (and therefore money) too.

    Bottom line: Best CPU value is a X5650 dedi from Joe's Datacenter or an AX41 in Finland from the Hetzner Marketplace (to save the setup fee).

    Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited July 30

    @AC_Fan said:

    Sort by price per CPU benchmark on the websites, with appropriate filters (SSDs etc.), The components aren't the only cost, building that stuff takes time (and therefore money) too.

    Bottom line: Best CPU value is a X5650 dedi from Joe's Datacenter or an AX41 in Finland from the Hetzner Marketplace (to save the setup fee).

    Thanks, will those two both be fast setup? because I don't wanna wait weeks since I wanna see if it works for me then switch if needed so waiting that long each time is unfeasible.

    EDIT: oh joe's looks nice! only 8 gigs so not wasting on ram costs, I know nothing of modern cpus so I take your word those ones are good!

    EDIT2: oh you said joe's is best performance but the metadedi bench for the x5650 is 10361 vs 17824 for hetzner which puts hetzner at almost double the performance! So what made you say x5650 is the best?

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited July 30

    @lowendguy7 said:

    @AC_Fan said:

    Sort by price per CPU benchmark on the websites, with appropriate filters (SSDs etc.), The components aren't the only cost, building that stuff takes time (and therefore money) too.

    Bottom line: Best CPU value is a X5650 dedi from Joe's Datacenter or an AX41 in Finland from the Hetzner Marketplace (to save the setup fee).

    Thanks, will those two both be fast setup? because I don't wanna wait weeks since I wanna see if it works for me then switch if needed so waiting that long each time is unfeasible.

    EDIT: oh joe's looks nice! only 8 gigs so not wasting on ram costs, I know nothing of modern cpus so I take your word those ones are good!

    EDIT2: oh you said joe's is best performance but the metadedi bench for the x5650 is 10361 vs 17824 for hetzner which puts hetzner at almost double the performance! So what made you say x5650 is the best?

    The metadedi site uses PassMark scores, but for encoding, 2*single CPU score is more accurate than the PassMark Dual CPU score.

    By taking average of the PassMark and Geekbench scores, the 3600 is roughly 28% more powerful. The Joe's Datacenter dedi is 34 USD, and 34*1.28 USD is roughly 37 euros, which is just a bit more than the AX41's price in Finland (34 euros). The AX41 is definitely the better system overall, but if you need literally only the CPU, and are willing to make major cuts in everything else, you can save 6% with the X5650 system.

    Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • @AC_Fan said:

    The metadedi site uses PassMark scores, but for encoding, 2*single CPU score is more accurate than the PassMark Dual CPU score.

    Thanks for clarifying but what do you mean here? You are saying it is or isn't more powerful, didn't understand. You later said the hetzner is 28% more powerful so was not clear on that. I would take 28% more power for 6% more price :), but if the X5650 is somehow still more powerful? then I will take that. Basically whichever has most CPU power for encoding is the one I will take regardless of price.

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @lowendguy7 said:

    @AC_Fan said:

    The metadedi site uses PassMark scores, but for encoding, 2*single CPU score is more accurate than the PassMark Dual CPU score.

    Thanks for clarifying but what do you mean here? You are saying it is or isn't more powerful, didn't understand. You later said the hetzner is 28% more powerful so was not clear on that. I would take 28% more power for 6% more price :), but if the X5650 is somehow still more powerful? then I will take that. Basically whichever has most CPU power for encoding is the one I will take regardless of price.

    If you consider strictly performance, the AX41 is better (28% more performance). But, if you consider value (performance per dollar), the X5650 is roughly 6% better.
    Does that make sense?

  • @AC_Fan said:

    @lowendguy7 said:

    @AC_Fan said:

    The metadedi site uses PassMark scores, but for encoding, 2*single CPU score is more accurate than the PassMark Dual CPU score.

    Thanks for clarifying but what do you mean here? You are saying it is or isn't more powerful, didn't understand. You later said the hetzner is 28% more powerful so was not clear on that. I would take 28% more power for 6% more price :), but if the X5650 is somehow still more powerful? then I will take that. Basically whichever has most CPU power for encoding is the one I will take regardless of price.

    If you consider strictly performance, the AX41 is better (28% more performance). But, if you consider value (performance per dollar), the X5650 is roughly 6% better.
    Does that make sense?

    Still not quite :). I mean 28% performance increase for 6% more price seems better no?

  • edited July 30

    28% performance difference is not quite sense.. ugh.. ryzen 5 3600 performance should be more than 70% better than dual xeon x5650..

    | #lexit |

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited July 30

    @lowendguy7 said:

    @AC_Fan said:

    @lowendguy7 said:

    @AC_Fan said:

    The metadedi site uses PassMark scores, but for encoding, 2*single CPU score is more accurate than the PassMark Dual CPU score.

    Thanks for clarifying but what do you mean here? You are saying it is or isn't more powerful, didn't understand. You later said the hetzner is 28% more powerful so was not clear on that. I would take 28% more power for 6% more price :), but if the X5650 is somehow still more powerful? then I will take that. Basically whichever has most CPU power for encoding is the one I will take regardless of price.

    If you consider strictly performance, the AX41 is better (28% more performance). But, if you consider value (performance per dollar), the X5650 is roughly 6% better.
    Does that make sense?

    Still not quite :). I mean 28% performance increase for 6% more price seems better no?

    Dual X5650 = y score
    Ryzen 3600 = 1.28*y score

    Ryzen 3600 Dedi = x score per dollar
    Dual X5650 Dedi: 1.06*x score per dollar

    Purely score: Ryzen wins.
    Score per dollar: Dual X5650 wins.

    Am I clear enough?

  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

    @chocolateshirt said:
    28% performance difference is not quite sense.. ugh.. ryzen 5 3600 performance should be more than 70% better than dual xeon x5650..

    I mean, you can check the PassMark and Geekbench scores. Plus, it's 12 cores on the dual Xeon vs 6 cores on the Ryzen. Even old Xeons count for something.

  • Sure I get it, I just checked passmark myself. That equations were making it more confusing.

    Well raw (cpu) performance is more important than price per dollar so I think I will go with hetzner. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

    Thanked by 1buzzyLET
  • TeYroXTeYroX Member

    I currently have Dual Xeon 5520 24GB RAM 240GB SSD + 3TB for 20$ and it's idling in NOCIX. I don't know if its possible to transfer it but you are interested I can ask them :)

    Thanked by 2lowendguy7 buzzyLET
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited July 31

    Btw why is there no setup for finland server at hetzner vs the other places?

    Oh I get it, it's because it is from 'marketplace'.

    EDIT: Oh..I see the marketplace is just servers that were cancelled by someone else? Well there is no ax41 available so I am not waiting around in the hopes one might turn up one day. I see some ryzens here, but not ax41 so I guess I should just look to see if any of those available servers come close to the ax41?

    Hmm I don't see ax41 available from my dashboard anyway! Maybe it is over to joe after all! (if he isn't out of stock too).

  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Provider

    @lowendguy7 said: Hmm I might look into @PulsedMedia , wow 3 - 4 weeks setup time! Nobody got time fo dat! I wanna test quickly month by month.

    Sorry indeed, we are a bit slow on deliveries. We are small business and do not stock dedis typically (except some models, those are being sold as MDS) and do not yet have automation for dedis as our main business is seedboxes.

    On the flip side of the coin, we can do hell of a lot of customization on user needs :)

    Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • @TeYroX said:
    I currently have Dual Xeon 5520 24GB RAM 240GB SSD + 3TB for 20$ and it's idling in NOCIX. I don't know if its possible to transfer it but you are interested I can ask them :)

    Hi if OP does not want this I would be very interested, I have been trying to find a server like this in the 20 dollar range for some time :) Thanks!!

  • Adam1Adam1 Member

    @buzzyLET said: I have been trying to find a server like this in the 20 dollar range for some time

    Have you looked at KimSufi? https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/servers.xml

    You may have to wait a short while for a KS-9, but the KS-6,KS-8 and KS-10 servers are usually available.

  • @Adam1 said:

    @buzzyLET said: I have been trying to find a server like this in the 20 dollar range for some time

    Have you looked at KimSufi? https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/servers.xml

    You may have to wait a short while for a KS-9, but the KS-6,KS-8 and KS-10 servers are usually available.

    Yes, I have, I even previously had a specially priced KS-10 with them I think. The problem is that even at the special price and certainly at the normal price, the specs are really quite bad vs paying just 5 dollars more at other providers. It's a price point where I can get more for a VPS or hybrid VPS with dedicated cores at a way lower price, or much more for only a cople of dollars more per month. Unfortunately I am fixed to this price point. But it does seem like the servers at Wholesaleinternet/NOCIX have sales for slightly more modern hardware with different specs (an SSD + Sata) that Kimsufi doesn't have.

    I wish that SoYouStart would have a sale so one of those could be in that range, I would be all about that, but I'm going to be doing some video stuff with this server and want a more modern CPU for that

  • Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited August 7

    @buzzyLET said: I wish that SoYouStart would have a sale so one of those could be in that range

    They recently had their summer sale, a few weeks back

    I've had my KS-9 for years now, and still I cannot find something better for $20. I'd like more RAM if anything.

Sign In or Register to comment.