Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
RPI4 - 4GB feeler
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

RPI4 - 4GB feeler

AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider
edited January 30 in General

Just throwing this out there to see on how many people would bite on this and also seeing on what yaw would be willing to pay?

The specs would be:
RPI4 - Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
4Gb - DDR4 RAM
256GB - Drive space
1Gbps link-shared
1-ipv4
1-ipv6 (if able to)

Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

«1

Comments

  • thedpthedp Member

    $7

    Livin' da lowend vida loca!

    Thanked by 1uptime

    Looking for IT/Tech/Hosting-related Domain Names? Send me a PM here or on Discord (DP#3914)
    Current Auction(s): HostedTalk

  • $3-7 cos I'm cheap, depending on bandwidth allocation and network quality.

  • Transfer? 7-8$

  • Doing small dedicated servers with arm isn't a bad idea but raspberry pi's aren't cost effective vs its competition from a hosting perspective. Cant see myself paying more than 4$ for what you listed.

  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

    $2.99.

    per year.

    "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 30

    @FAT32 said:
    $2.99.

    per year.


    I second that...

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    @FAT32 said:
    $2.99.

    per year.

    ROI on the pi it self at that level = never. lol

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    @james50a said:
    Doing small dedicated servers with arm isn't a bad idea but raspberry pi's aren't cost effective vs its competition from a hosting perspective. Cant see myself paying more than 4$ for what you listed.

    Even being quad cores and 4gb of ram?

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • Hmm. Change 256GB with BYOD ability and I do but its really depend on your network peering.

    4 Cores ARM vs 1 normal vCores (depend on ratio) is not that much.

    4GB RAM maybe.

  • NeoonNeoon Member

    Ikoula charges 9.99 and since it has been spawned, its avail, so I guess its to much.

    Thanked by 1coreflux
  • thedpthedp Member

    Where do you plan on deploying them anyways?

    Looking for IT/Tech/Hosting-related Domain Names? Send me a PM here or on Discord (DP#3914)
    Current Auction(s): HostedTalk

  • Tree Fiddy

    Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    @thedp said:
    Where do you plan on deploying them anyways?

    My DC here in Texas.

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 30

    I think a pi4 with 400 GB storage priced at $4 might could get some interest.

    Possibly prudent as a promotion for publicity rather than prospective profitability

    EDIT2: Provide 4 TB transfer @ 400 mbit/s and make it payable in Pigeoncoin

    the Amitz.party lives on!

  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Moderator
    edited January 30

    What dc in texas?

    Thanked by 1uptime
  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    @PieHasBeenEaten said:
    What dc in texas?

    TRG Data Centers

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    @Aluminat said:
    Hmm. Change 256GB with BYOD ability and I do but its really depend on your network peering.

    4 Cores ARM vs 1 normal vCores (depend on ratio) is not that much.

    4GB RAM maybe.

    I could do that as well. I was just saying 256GB because the bigger sd cards still seem to throw a fit with the hardware. BUT if you know of a card that works better. Please let me know. But if someone wants to send me their own RPI/Arduino/Small computer with HDD. We can work something out.

    @uptime said:
    I think a pi4 with 400 GB storage priced at $4 might could get some interest.

    Possibly prudent as a promotion for publicity rather than prospective profitability

    EDIT2: Provide 4 TB transfer @ 400 mbit/s and make it payable in Pigeoncoin

    I accept the major Crypto coins and the connection will be a 1Gbps link. Just keep in mind that it would be a a fair use. Also 4TB per month is roughly 1.5Mbps consistent throughput.

    Thanked by 2uptime Aluminat

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 31

    AlienData_Josh said: if you know of a card that works better. Please let me know.

    oooooh sdcards seem likely to (sooner or later) be a shitshow to deal with in a datacenter scenario. I would look at network storage.

    But if someone wants to send me their own RPI/Arduino/Small computer with HDD. We can work something out.

    hahaha hmmm ... yeah, no - sorry, but sending any hardware to Houston is generally a non-starter around these parts. Unfortunately the "other" Joshua has pissed in that well a few too many times. Sucks, but that's the way that cookie crumbled some time ago already.

    4TB per month is roughly 1.5Mbps consistent throughput.

    ummmmm 1.5 mbits would work out to just under 4 terrabits per month

    note the capital TB is generally taken to indicate terrabytes

    so 4 TB per month would be about 12 mbit/s 24/7

    the Amitz.party lives on!

  • jarjar Provider
    edited January 31

    Final edit: I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

    You seem new, friendly, like you're speaking our language, and you want to offer servers in Texas. So I just have one question:

    Are you not Joshua Prout, and will I believe your answer before I see your website? :cry:

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

  • jarjar Provider
    edited January 31

    Final edit: I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

    Found it. I'm conflicted:

    https://www.aliendata.com

    It's Houston area and on LET which means Joshua Prout, but it's hosted on BuyVM @Francisco which means not Joshua Prout. Unless... evolved Joshua Prout? I don't know anymore lol

    Edit: Also registrar is GoDaddy so 2 signs that it's not Joshua Prout. But you gotta admit, a "Josh" from Houston here is a scary thing lol

    Edit 2: It's also really cheap colo in Houston, and that's historically been one single person. That + Woodlands.... ehhh I'm having trouble saying it's not. But he also wouldn't go by Josh on here, no way.

    Edit 3: So to summarize...

    In the pro "This is Prout" category we have:

    • Houston area
    • Cheap colo

    In the "This is not Prout" category we have:

    • Goes by Josh openly
    • Has a photo on one of his domains that is another Josh
    • No connection to NameCheap
    Thanked by 1uptime

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

  • GanonkGanonk Member
    edited January 31

    $5
    per year :wink:

    Thanked by 1dedicados

    kuat dilakoni, ra kuat tinggal ngopi

  • $5/yr :)

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    Uptime: network storage would be a better idea indeed. I agree on that. Sorry about the conversions. I was using a calculator from google that. You are correct. it is 12Mbps. sorry about that. I miss looked at the Mbps to TB.

    Yeah. I know about the Joshua Prout ordeal. So yeah I got that uphill battle. For anyone that wants to meet me come to the next cpanel/summit conference. I will be there. Been to the last 2 conferences.

    Thanked by 2jar uptime

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • jarjar Provider
    edited January 31

    @AlienData_Josh said:
    Uptime: network storage would be a better idea indeed. I agree on that. Sorry about the conversions. I was using a calculator from google that. You are correct. it is 12Mbps. sorry about that. I miss looked at the Mbps to TB.

    Yeah. I know about the Joshua Prout ordeal. So yeah I got that uphill battle. For anyone that wants to meet me come to the next cpanel/summit conference. I will be there. Been to the last 2 conferences.

    So far I'm in your court. I investigate deeply when cheap colo appears in Texas to try to prevent others from getting caught in his next scheme. He's not smart enough to have tossed that picture up on lilnetwork to throw me off. Also your apartment complex has no visible floor plans that match the kitchen his girlfriend is posing in on a new photo on instagram. Do I sound enough like a psycho stalker yet? This is what he turned me into.

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    Jar: LilNetwork is my local business. If your in the investigating mood. I usually go by the name DemonMaestro. I have quite a few dealings with bitcoin mining hardware when it was better at mining than it was now. Did a few group buys as well. I have no reason to hide who I am.

    Thanked by 1jar

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • jarjar Provider
    edited January 31

    I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. This person is safe to do business with, as far as I know. Carry on <3

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

  • thedpthedp Member

    @jar said:
    I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

    Well someone's bound to verify that for you if they'll be at the cPanel Conference :D

    Thanked by 1jar

    Looking for IT/Tech/Hosting-related Domain Names? Send me a PM here or on Discord (DP#3914)
    Current Auction(s): HostedTalk

  • jarjar Provider

    thedp said: Well someone's bound to verify that for you if they'll be at the cPanel Conference

    Hell I might go.

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

  • $10/month
    SSD though :)

  • I would pay $3.99

    www.MechKing.com - Technology Blog. Under construction.

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    @doughnet said:
    $10/month
    SSD though :)

    Well if use local storage it would be microsd card.
    I do agree of some sort of network storage would be ideal!

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • @AlienData_Josh said:

    @doughnet said:
    $10/month
    SSD though :)

    Well if use local storage it would be microsd card.
    I do agree of some sort of network storage would be ideal!

    What about SSD attached to the usb 3?

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    a> @doughnet said:

    @AlienData_Josh said:

    @doughnet said:
    $10/month
    SSD though :)

    Well if use local storage it would be microsd card.
    I do agree of some sort of network storage would be ideal!

    What about SSD attached to the usb 3?

    Would a usb3.0 ssd give you decent read/write speeds? over say a 3.0 thumb drive?

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • @AlienData_Josh said:
    a> @doughnet said:

    @AlienData_Josh said:

    @doughnet said:
    $10/month
    SSD though :)

    Well if use local storage it would be microsd card.
    I do agree of some sort of network storage would be ideal!

    What about SSD attached to the usb 3?

    Would a usb3.0 ssd give you decent read/write speeds? over say a 3.0 thumb drive?

    Good brief detail:

    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-ssd-test,39811.html

    Thanked by 1AlienData_Josh
  • jarjar Provider

    Frankly, a cheap walmart quality USB external would do wonders, and the raspberry pi can power one of them with ease. I've got some of these lying around that I've used with great results:

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-1TB-Portable-External-Hard-Drive-USB-3-0-Black-HDTB410XK3AA/771097773

    I mean we're talking about a raspberry pi here, we don't need enterprise datacenter grade fancy stickers on a disk that say "I last 60 years" with confidence. Unlikely to be anyone's production box without backup.

    Thanked by 1coreflux

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

  • BeagleBone Black
    1 ARMv7 core
    512MB RAM
    2TB HDD over SAMBA
    100Mbps link shared
    0 IPv4
    1 IPv6

    Raspberry Pi Zero W
    1 ARMv6 core
    512MB RAM
    32GB SD card
    11Mbps link with radio interference
    0 IPv4
    1 IPv6
    1 camera to watch me naked

    These are my closet host, and it costs $0, although Verizon FiOS is too expensive.

    No need to send anything to Texas.

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    yoursunny: I am not saying that everyone will use the service.
    jar: True. could do that as well. Might be better to do it that route instead of the bigger microsd card.d

    Thanked by 1jar

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • Who the fuck is "yaw" and how would we know how much Yaw would pay?

  • jarjar Provider

    @TimboJones said:
    Who the fuck is "yaw" and how would we know how much Yaw would pay?

    Now ya'll listen here you yankees...

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

  • @jar said:
    I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. This person is safe to do business with, as far as I know. Carry on <3

    It's definitely not Prout.

    Thanked by 1jar
  • hzrhzr Member, Moderator

    jar said: Frankly, a cheap walmart quality USB external would do wonders, and the raspberry pi can power one of them with ease. I've got some of these lying around that I've used with great results:

    On the pi4, you need an actually decent power supply going into the pi itself or it'll randomly power off or die. This is aggravating because phone chargers/etc all don't do this well.

    Thanked by 3jar uptime yoursunny
  • jarjar Provider

    @hzr said:

    jar said: Frankly, a cheap walmart quality USB external would do wonders, and the raspberry pi can power one of them with ease. I've got some of these lying around that I've used with great results:

    On the pi4, you need an actually decent power supply going into the pi itself or it'll randomly power off or die. This is aggravating because phone chargers/etc all don't do this well.

    I just use the power cable I got in a kit from amazon. It’ll do one fine but if I add a second I need a powered hub.

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

  • @jar said:

    @TimboJones said:
    Who the fuck is "yaw" and how would we know how much Yaw would pay?

    Now ya'll listen here you yankees...

    "Y'all" is a thing, "yaw" is not. That's like when people hear something and repeat it without knowing what they are saying (generally, songs). In Enter Sandman, there is a line "exit light, enter night". When I was a kid, I thought it was like, "accelite", which wasn't a word, but just went with it until I was in my 20's and was like, "oh, no shit" and SMH that I never clued in sooner.

  • hzrhzr Member, Moderator
    edited February 1

    jar said: I just use the power cable I got in a kit from amazon. It’ll do one fine but if I add a second I need a powered hub.

    This is one of my worries about pi colo - providers might buy an anker hub or something and plug a dozen USB cables in and that works somewhat ok for a rpi1 and its low spec, but once you're allowing any external peripherals or even two flash drives on a rpi4, you're effectively going to be consuming a brick per pi.

    Power sags/drops also are not very good for the sd card.

    Thanked by 1jar
  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider
    edited February 1

    @hzr said:

    jar said: I just use the power cable I got in a kit from amazon. It’ll do one fine but if I add a second I need a powered hub.

    This is one of my worries about pi colo - providers might buy an anker hub or something and plug a dozen USB cables in and that works somewhat ok for a rpi1 and its low spec, but once you're allowing any external peripherals or even two flash drives on a rpi4, you're effectively going to be consuming a brick per pi.

    Power sags/drops also are not very good for the sd card.

    I completely agree. I got a few units on order and the official poe hats. I am going to try. If I notice issues with the hats. I will get the official USB-C plugs.

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited February 1

    $10 000 (The answer to many daily life problems.)

    You are dreaming. | And it's a nightmare. | THE SECRET THREAD | THE TRUTH | HAVES YOU SEEN THIS YURA?
    „Homo homini rattus.“ | It's not nightmare, it's reality, but it's still nightmare.

  • @Janevski said:
    $10 000 (The answer to many daily life problems.)

    Nah that one is 42.

    Thanked by 1Janevski

    Catch me over at Primary DNS. If you want to chat I am done with this cesspool.

  • AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

    So decided to go with the poe hat. Will do a couple hour "burn in" to test and make sure it can handle the load.

    Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
    RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited February 6

    @uptime said:
    I think a p i4 with 400 GB storage p riced at $4 might could get some interest.

    ** P** ossibly prudent as a p romotion for p ublicity rather than p rospective p rofitability

    EDIT2[:] (https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/activity/edit) P rovide 4 TB transfer @ 400 mbit/s and make it payable in Pigeoncoin

    All those P makes me feel I have to pee.


    Pi Day is 35 days away.

    Thanked by 1uptime
  • jarjar Provider

    https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_as_third_node

    This doesn't look too promising. However, this is going to see a new open source version released for the RPI4:

    https://antsle.com/products/antmanedgelinux/

    They just started selling RPI4s with their non-community version of their OS preinstalled for $547 (includes 512G storage). If the community version is any good, could make a really interesting thing to host.

    Thanked by 1dahartigan

    MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

Sign In or Register to comment.