Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
RPI4 - 4GB feeler
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

RPI4 - 4GB feeler

AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider
edited January 30 in General

Just throwing this out there to see on how many people would bite on this and also seeing on what yaw would be willing to pay?

The specs would be:
RPI4 - Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
4Gb - DDR4 RAM
256GB - Drive space
1Gbps link-shared
1-ipv4
1-ipv6 (if able to)

Alien Data: VPS and Colo Based In Texas, Unmetered Bandwidth.
RPIServers: Dedicated Micro Servers. Unmeterd Bandwidth

Comments

• thedpthedp Member

$7

Livin' da lowend vida loca!

Thanked by 1uptime

Looking for IT/Tech/Hosting-related Domain Names? Send me a PM here or on Discord (DP#3914)
    Current Auction(s): HostedTalk

• $3-7 cos I'm cheap, depending on bandwidth allocation and network quality.

• Transfer? 7-8$

• Doing small dedicated servers with arm isn't a bad idea but raspberry pi's aren't cost effective vs its competition from a hosting perspective. Cant see myself paying more than 4$ for what you listed.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

$2.99.

per year.

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 30

@FAT32 said:
    $2.99.

per year.

I second that...

• AlienData_JoshAlienData_Josh Member, Provider

@FAT32 said:
    $2.99.

per year.

ROI on the pi it self at that level = never. lol

@james50a said:
    Doing small dedicated servers with arm isn't a bad idea but raspberry pi's aren't cost effective vs its competition from a hosting perspective. Cant see myself paying more than 4$ for what you listed.

Even being quad cores and 4gb of ram?

• Hmm. Change 256GB with BYOD ability and I do but its really depend on your network peering.

4 Cores ARM vs 1 normal vCores (depend on ratio) is not that much.

4GB RAM maybe.

• NeoonNeoon Member

Ikoula charges 9.99 and since it has been spawned, its avail, so I guess its to much.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • thedpthedp Member

Where do you plan on deploying them anyways?

Looking for IT/Tech/Hosting-related Domain Names? Send me a PM here or on Discord (DP#3914)

• Tree Fiddy

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan

@thedp said:
    Where do you plan on deploying them anyways?

My DC here in Texas.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 30

I think a pi4 with 400 GB storage priced at $4 might could get some interest.

Possibly prudent as a promotion for publicity rather than prospective profitability

EDIT2: Provide 4 TB transfer @ 400 mbit/s and make it payable in Pigeoncoin

the Amitz.party lives on!

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Moderator
    edited January 30

What dc in texas?

Thanked by 1uptime

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    What dc in texas?

TRG Data Centers

@Aluminat said:
    Hmm. Change 256GB with BYOD ability and I do but its really depend on your network peering.

4 Cores ARM vs 1 normal vCores (depend on ratio) is not that much.

4GB RAM maybe.

I could do that as well. I was just saying 256GB because the bigger sd cards still seem to throw a fit with the hardware. BUT if you know of a card that works better. Please let me know. But if someone wants to send me their own RPI/Arduino/Small computer with HDD. We can work something out.

@uptime said:
    I think a pi4 with 400 GB storage priced at $4 might could get some interest.

Possibly prudent as a promotion for publicity rather than prospective profitability

EDIT2: Provide 4 TB transfer @ 400 mbit/s and make it payable in Pigeoncoin

I accept the major Crypto coins and the connection will be a 1Gbps link. Just keep in mind that it would be a a fair use. Also 4TB per month is roughly 1.5Mbps consistent throughput.

Thanked by 2uptime Aluminat

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 31

AlienData_Josh said: if you know of a card that works better. Please let me know.

oooooh sdcards seem likely to (sooner or later) be a shitshow to deal with in a datacenter scenario. I would look at network storage.

But if someone wants to send me their own RPI/Arduino/Small computer with HDD. We can work something out.

hahaha hmmm ... yeah, no - sorry, but sending any hardware to Houston is generally a non-starter around these parts. Unfortunately the "other" Joshua has pissed in that well a few too many times. Sucks, but that's the way that cookie crumbled some time ago already.

4TB per month is roughly 1.5Mbps consistent throughput.

ummmmm 1.5 mbits would work out to just under 4 terrabits per month

note the capital TB is generally taken to indicate terrabytes

so 4 TB per month would be about 12 mbit/s 24/7

the Amitz.party lives on!

• jarjar Provider
    edited January 31

Final edit: I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

You seem new, friendly, like you're speaking our language, and you want to offer servers in Texas. So I just have one question:

Are you not Joshua Prout, and will I believe your answer before I see your website? :cry:

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• jarjar Provider
    edited January 31

Final edit: I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

Found it. I'm conflicted:

https://www.aliendata.com

It's Houston area and on LET which means Joshua Prout, but it's hosted on BuyVM @Francisco which means not Joshua Prout. Unless... evolved Joshua Prout? I don't know anymore lol

Edit: Also registrar is GoDaddy so 2 signs that it's not Joshua Prout. But you gotta admit, a "Josh" from Houston here is a scary thing lol

Edit 2: It's also really cheap colo in Houston, and that's historically been one single person. That + Woodlands.... ehhh I'm having trouble saying it's not. But he also wouldn't go by Josh on here, no way.

Edit 3: So to summarize...

In the pro "This is Prout" category we have:

• Houston area
    • Cheap colo

In the "This is not Prout" category we have:

• Goes by Josh openly
    • Has a photo on one of his domains that is another Josh
    • No connection to NameCheap
    Thanked by 1uptime

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• GanonkGanonk Member
    edited January 31

$5
    per year :wink:

Thanked by 1dedicados

kuat dilakoni, ra kuat tinggal ngopi

• $5/yr :)

Uptime: network storage would be a better idea indeed. I agree on that. Sorry about the conversions. I was using a calculator from google that. You are correct. it is 12Mbps. sorry about that. I miss looked at the Mbps to TB.

Yeah. I know about the Joshua Prout ordeal. So yeah I got that uphill battle. For anyone that wants to meet me come to the next cpanel/summit conference. I will be there. Been to the last 2 conferences.

Thanked by 2jar uptime

• jarjar Provider
    edited January 31

@AlienData_Josh said:
    Uptime: network storage would be a better idea indeed. I agree on that. Sorry about the conversions. I was using a calculator from google that. You are correct. it is 12Mbps. sorry about that. I miss looked at the Mbps to TB.

Yeah. I know about the Joshua Prout ordeal. So yeah I got that uphill battle. For anyone that wants to meet me come to the next cpanel/summit conference. I will be there. Been to the last 2 conferences.

So far I'm in your court. I investigate deeply when cheap colo appears in Texas to try to prevent others from getting caught in his next scheme. He's not smart enough to have tossed that picture up on lilnetwork to throw me off. Also your apartment complex has no visible floor plans that match the kitchen his girlfriend is posing in on a new photo on instagram. Do I sound enough like a psycho stalker yet? This is what he turned me into.

Jar: LilNetwork is my local business. If your in the investigating mood. I usually go by the name DemonMaestro. I have quite a few dealings with bitcoin mining hardware when it was better at mining than it was now. Did a few group buys as well. I have no reason to hide who I am.

Thanked by 1jar

• jarjar Provider
    edited January 31

I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. This person is safe to do business with, as far as I know. Carry on <3

• thedpthedp Member

@jar said:
    I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

Well someone's bound to verify that for you if they'll be at the cPanel Conference :D

Thanked by 1jar

• jarjar Provider

thedp said: Well someone's bound to verify that for you if they'll be at the cPanel Conference

Hell I might go.

• $10/month
    SSD though :)

• I would pay $3.99

www.MechKing.com - Technology Blog. Under construction.

@doughnet said:
    $10/month

Well if use local storage it would be microsd card.
    I do agree of some sort of network storage would be ideal!

• @AlienData_Josh said:

@doughnet said:
    $10/month

What about SSD attached to the usb 3?

a> @doughnet said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

@doughnet said:
    $10/month

Would a usb3.0 ssd give you decent read/write speeds? over say a 3.0 thumb drive?

• @AlienData_Josh said:
    a> @doughnet said:

@AlienData_Josh said:

@doughnet said:
    $10/month

Would a usb3.0 ssd give you decent read/write speeds? over say a 3.0 thumb drive?

Good brief detail:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-ssd-test,39811.html

Thanked by 1AlienData_Josh
  • jarjar Provider

Frankly, a cheap walmart quality USB external would do wonders, and the raspberry pi can power one of them with ease. I've got some of these lying around that I've used with great results:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-1TB-Portable-External-Hard-Drive-USB-3-0-Black-HDTB410XK3AA/771097773

I mean we're talking about a raspberry pi here, we don't need enterprise datacenter grade fancy stickers on a disk that say "I last 60 years" with confidence. Unlikely to be anyone's production box without backup.

Thanked by 1coreflux

• BeagleBone Black
    1 ARMv7 core
    512MB RAM
    2TB HDD over SAMBA
    100Mbps link shared
    0 IPv4
    1 IPv6

Raspberry Pi Zero W
    1 ARMv6 core
    512MB RAM
    32GB SD card
    11Mbps link with radio interference
    0 IPv4
    1 IPv6
    1 camera to watch me naked

These are my closet host, and it costs $0, although Verizon FiOS is too expensive.

No need to send anything to Texas.

yoursunny: I am not saying that everyone will use the service.
    jar: True. could do that as well. Might be better to do it that route instead of the bigger microsd card.d

Thanked by 1jar

• Who the fuck is "yaw" and how would we know how much Yaw would pay?

• jarjar Provider

@TimboJones said:
    Who the fuck is "yaw" and how would we know how much Yaw would pay?

Now ya'll listen here you yankees...

• @jar said:
    I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. This person is safe to do business with, as far as I know. Carry on <3

It's definitely not Prout.

Thanked by 1jar
  • hzrhzr Member, Moderator

jar said: Frankly, a cheap walmart quality USB external would do wonders, and the raspberry pi can power one of them with ease. I've got some of these lying around that I've used with great results:

On the pi4, you need an actually decent power supply going into the pi itself or it'll randomly power off or die. This is aggravating because phone chargers/etc all don't do this well.

Thanked by 3jar uptime yoursunny
  • jarjar Provider

@hzr said:

jar said: Frankly, a cheap walmart quality USB external would do wonders, and the raspberry pi can power one of them with ease. I've got some of these lying around that I've used with great results:

On the pi4, you need an actually decent power supply going into the pi itself or it'll randomly power off or die. This is aggravating because phone chargers/etc all don't do this well.

I just use the power cable I got in a kit from amazon. It’ll do one fine but if I add a second I need a powered hub.

• @jar said:

@TimboJones said:
    Who the fuck is "yaw" and how would we know how much Yaw would pay?

Now ya'll listen here you yankees...

"Y'all" is a thing, "yaw" is not. That's like when people hear something and repeat it without knowing what they are saying (generally, songs). In Enter Sandman, there is a line "exit light, enter night". When I was a kid, I thought it was like, "accelite", which wasn't a word, but just went with it until I was in my 20's and was like, "oh, no shit" and SMH that I never clued in sooner.

• hzrhzr Member, Moderator
    edited February 1

jar said: I just use the power cable I got in a kit from amazon. It’ll do one fine but if I add a second I need a powered hub.

This is one of my worries about pi colo - providers might buy an anker hub or something and plug a dozen USB cables in and that works somewhat ok for a rpi1 and its low spec, but once you're allowing any external peripherals or even two flash drives on a rpi4, you're effectively going to be consuming a brick per pi.

Power sags/drops also are not very good for the sd card.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 1

@hzr said:

jar said: I just use the power cable I got in a kit from amazon. It’ll do one fine but if I add a second I need a powered hub.

This is one of my worries about pi colo - providers might buy an anker hub or something and plug a dozen USB cables in and that works somewhat ok for a rpi1 and its low spec, but once you're allowing any external peripherals or even two flash drives on a rpi4, you're effectively going to be consuming a brick per pi.

Power sags/drops also are not very good for the sd card.

I completely agree. I got a few units on order and the official poe hats. I am going to try. If I notice issues with the hats. I will get the official USB-C plugs.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited February 1

$10 000 (The answer to many daily life problems.)

You are dreaming. | And it's a nightmare. | THE SECRET THREAD | THE TRUTH | HAVES YOU SEEN THIS YURA?
    „Homo homini rattus.“ | It's not nightmare, it's reality, but it's still nightmare.

• @Janevski said:
    $10 000 (The answer to many daily life problems.)

Nah that one is 42.

Thanked by 1Janevski

Catch me over at Primary DNS. If you want to chat I am done with this cesspool.

So decided to go with the poe hat. Will do a couple hour "burn in" to test and make sure it can handle the load.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited February 6

@uptime said:
    I think a p i4 with 400 GB storage p riced at $4 might could get some interest.

** P** ossibly prudent as a p romotion for p ublicity rather than p rospective p rofitability

EDIT2[:] (https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/activity/edit) P rovide 4 TB transfer @ 400 mbit/s and make it payable in Pigeoncoin

All those P makes me feel I have to pee.

Pi Day is 35 days away.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jarjar Provider

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_as_third_node

This doesn't look too promising. However, this is going to see a new open source version released for the RPI4:

https://antsle.com/products/antmanedgelinux/

They just started selling RPI4s with their non-community version of their OS preinstalled for $547 (includes 512G storage). If the community version is any good, could make a really interesting thing to host.

Thanked by 1dahartigan