Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RPI4 - 4GB feeler
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RPI4 - 4GB feeler

DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
edited January 2020 in General

Just throwing this out there to see on how many people would bite on this and also seeing on what yaw would be willing to pay?

The specs would be:
RPI4 - Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
4Gb - DDR4 RAM
256GB - Drive space
1Gbps link-shared
1-ipv4
1-ipv6 (if able to)

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

$7

Livin' da lowend vida loca!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • $3-7 cos I'm cheap, depending on bandwidth allocation and network quality.

• Transfer? 7-8$

• Doing small dedicated servers with arm isn't a bad idea but raspberry pi's aren't cost effective vs its competition from a hosting perspective. Cant see myself paying more than 4$ for what you listed.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2020

@FAT32 said:
    $2.99.

per year.

I second that...

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@FAT32 said:
    $2.99.

per year.

ROI on the pi it self at that level = never. lol

@james50a said:
    Doing small dedicated servers with arm isn't a bad idea but raspberry pi's aren't cost effective vs its competition from a hosting perspective. Cant see myself paying more than 4$ for what you listed.

Even being quad cores and 4gb of ram?

• Hmm. Change 256GB with BYOD ability and I do but its really depend on your network peering.

4 Cores ARM vs 1 normal vCores (depend on ratio) is not that much.

4GB RAM maybe.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Ikoula charges 9.99 and since it has been spawned, its avail, so I guess its to much.

Thanked by 1coreflux

Where do you plan on deploying them anyways?

• Tree Fiddy

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan

@thedp said:
    Where do you plan on deploying them anyways?

My DC here in Texas.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2020

I think a pi4 with 400 GB storage priced at $4 might could get some interest.

Possibly prudent as a promotion for publicity rather than prospective profitability

EDIT2: Provide 4 TB transfer @ 400 mbit/s and make it payable in Pigeoncoin

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2020

What dc in texas?

Thanked by 1uptime

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    What dc in texas?

TRG Data Centers

@Aluminat said:
    Hmm. Change 256GB with BYOD ability and I do but its really depend on your network peering.

4 Cores ARM vs 1 normal vCores (depend on ratio) is not that much.

4GB RAM maybe.

I could do that as well. I was just saying 256GB because the bigger sd cards still seem to throw a fit with the hardware. BUT if you know of a card that works better. Please let me know. But if someone wants to send me their own RPI/Arduino/Small computer with HDD. We can work something out.

@uptime said:
    I think a pi4 with 400 GB storage priced at $4 might could get some interest.

Possibly prudent as a promotion for publicity rather than prospective profitability

EDIT2: Provide 4 TB transfer @ 400 mbit/s and make it payable in Pigeoncoin

I accept the major Crypto coins and the connection will be a 1Gbps link. Just keep in mind that it would be a a fair use. Also 4TB per month is roughly 1.5Mbps consistent throughput.

Thanked by 2uptime Aluminat
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2020

AlienData_Josh said: if you know of a card that works better. Please let me know.

oooooh sdcards seem likely to (sooner or later) be a shitshow to deal with in a datacenter scenario. I would look at network storage.

But if someone wants to send me their own RPI/Arduino/Small computer with HDD. We can work something out.

hahaha hmmm ... yeah, no - sorry, but sending any hardware to Houston is generally a non-starter around these parts. Unfortunately the "other" Joshua has pissed in that well a few too many times. Sucks, but that's the way that cookie crumbled some time ago already.

4TB per month is roughly 1.5Mbps consistent throughput.

ummmmm 1.5 mbits would work out to just under 4 terrabits per month

note the capital TB is generally taken to indicate terrabytes

so 4 TB per month would be about 12 mbit/s 24/7

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2020

Final edit: I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

You seem new, friendly, like you're speaking our language, and you want to offer servers in Texas. So I just have one question:

Are you not Joshua Prout, and will I believe your answer before I see your website? :cry:

edited January 2020

Final edit: I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

Found it. I'm conflicted:

https://www.aliendata.com

It's Houston area and on LET which means Joshua Prout, but it's hosted on BuyVM @Francisco which means not Joshua Prout. Unless... evolved Joshua Prout? I don't know anymore lol

Edit: Also registrar is GoDaddy so 2 signs that it's not Joshua Prout. But you gotta admit, a "Josh" from Houston here is a scary thing lol

Edit 2: It's also really cheap colo in Houston, and that's historically been one single person. That + Woodlands.... ehhh I'm having trouble saying it's not. But he also wouldn't go by Josh on here, no way.

Edit 3: So to summarize...

In the pro "This is Prout" category we have:

• Houston area
    • Cheap colo

In the "This is not Prout" category we have:

• Goes by Josh openly
    • Has a photo on one of his domains that is another Josh
    • No connection to NameCheap
    Thanked by 1uptime
  • GanonkGanonk Member
    edited January 2020

$5
    per year :wink:

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • $5/yr :)

Uptime: network storage would be a better idea indeed. I agree on that. Sorry about the conversions. I was using a calculator from google that. You are correct. it is 12Mbps. sorry about that. I miss looked at the Mbps to TB.

Yeah. I know about the Joshua Prout ordeal. So yeah I got that uphill battle. For anyone that wants to meet me come to the next cpanel/summit conference. I will be there. Been to the last 2 conferences.

Thanked by 2jar uptime
    edited January 2020

@AlienData_Josh said:
    Uptime: network storage would be a better idea indeed. I agree on that. Sorry about the conversions. I was using a calculator from google that. You are correct. it is 12Mbps. sorry about that. I miss looked at the Mbps to TB.

Yeah. I know about the Joshua Prout ordeal. So yeah I got that uphill battle. For anyone that wants to meet me come to the next cpanel/summit conference. I will be there. Been to the last 2 conferences.

So far I'm in your court. I investigate deeply when cheap colo appears in Texas to try to prevent others from getting caught in his next scheme. He's not smart enough to have tossed that picture up on lilnetwork to throw me off. Also your apartment complex has no visible floor plans that match the kitchen his girlfriend is posing in on a new photo on instagram. Do I sound enough like a psycho stalker yet? This is what he turned me into.

Jar: LilNetwork is my local business. If your in the investigating mood. I usually go by the name DemonMaestro. I have quite a few dealings with bitcoin mining hardware when it was better at mining than it was now. Did a few group buys as well. I have no reason to hide who I am.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited January 2020

I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. This person is safe to do business with, as far as I know. Carry on <3

@jar said:
    I genuinely do not believe this is Joshua Prout. I'm gonna eat it hard if I'm wrong.

Well someone's bound to verify that for you if they'll be at the cPanel Conference :D

Thanked by 1jar

thedp said: Well someone's bound to verify that for you if they'll be at the cPanel Conference

Hell I might go.

• $10/month
    SSD though :)

• I would pay $3.99