Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    Shared hosting w/ssh
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Shared hosting w/ssh

    hzrhzr Member, Moderator

    I will keep it short:

    • US West or US Central location
    • accepts BTC or cc (CC not through paypal)
    • ssh with at least git, node, python3
    • Not cPanel or DA
    • Unlimited domains, 5GB disk, <100GB bw.
    • Postgres support (9.x+ modern, requires the json/jsonb data type and accessors)

    I'm moving a few dozen sites off a host that was acquired by Godaddy.

    Comments

    • Why wouldn't you want cPanel exactly? Not many providers out there with in-house panels that are any good that aren't owned by GoDaddy at this rate.

      Thanked by 1MikeA
    • sonicsonic Member

      Dreamhost

      Shared: Smallweb| VPS: Wishosting, NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
      Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

    • hzrhzr Member, Moderator

      sonic said: Dreamhost

      Thanks

      tester4 said: Why wouldn't you want cPanel exactly? Not many providers out there with in-house panels that are any good that aren't owned by GoDaddy at this rate.

      I fucking hate it. Not just for the price gouging fiasco and don't wish to support such behaviour, but also because:

      • Most cpanel hosts don't allow remotedns and require you to change your nameservers to use them as an addon domain (I hate contacting support - this should be self serve)

      • 'advanced dns editor' is bullshit and supports 4 types only, making the item before this even more problematic

      • I want to completely disable FTP; I do all my work via ssh/git anyway

      • I don't want to manually remove 50 subdomains like webmail and ftp whenever I add a subdomain

      • I want working 2FA if possible

      Now you might say "wow you are so picky": I just don't want to deal with manually managing these sites. They're mostly for friends and just run with low resource usage. I don't want to put them along side dedicated application servers for my stuff.

      Thanked by 2skorous Letzien
    • tester4tester4 Member
      edited January 7

      @hzr said:

      sonic said: Dreamhost

      Thanks

      tester4 said: Why wouldn't you want cPanel exactly? Not many providers out there with in-house panels that are any good that aren't owned by GoDaddy at this rate.

      I fucking hate it. Not just for the price gouging fiasco and don't wish to support such behaviour, but also because:

      • Most cpanel hosts don't allow remotedns and require you to change your nameservers to use them as an addon domain (I hate contacting support - this should be self serve)

      • 'advanced dns editor' is bullshit and supports 4 types only, making the item before this even more problematic

      • I want to completely disable FTP; I do all my work via ssh/git anyway

      • I don't want to manually remove 50 subdomains like webmail and ftp whenever I add a subdomain

      • I want working 2FA if possible

      Now you might say "wow you are so picky": I just don't want to deal with manually managing these sites. They're mostly for friends and just run with low resource usage. I don't want to put them along side dedicated application servers for my stuff.

      Not a lot you can do about the remote DNS stuff but I wouldn't give up on cPanel entirely based on that.

      The Advanced DNS Editor has far more than 4 record types, it sounds like your previous hosts have been limiting you to the basic 4 in their feature manager. 9/10 will allow full access to ALL record types.

      cPanel to my knowledge doesn't add the subdomains like webmail and what not when you add subdomains, that's only when you add Addon Domains but you can remove these as you mentioned.

      Honestly, all in all, I'd recommend going cPanel. There are a few things that may annoy you but ultimately, it's the best commercial control panel out there and as I mentioned - there's very few companies left not run by GoDaddy that have their own panels that weren't developed in 2004. I know in the UK there is 20i but that is likely to be acquired by GoDaddy eventually as the owners of it used to run Heart Internet, which was acquired by GoDaddy. As for US, none come to mind really.

    • klikliklikli Member
      edited January 7

      hzr said: Dreamhost

      Do post back and let me know your experience a few months later.

      When I was shopping around for shared hosting, they seem to tick all the checkboxes and are developer friendly. However as soon as I signed up, it turns out the node I am on has all kinds of issues and go down way too often. I finally decided to give up and just go back to other hosts.

      I do think it has a lot to do with a bad node though; I am sure that the situation has improved a lot since then.

      Also to add to the list:

      • NearlyFreeSpeech.net no native support for PostgreSQL, you need to manage it yourself
      • Gandi.net
      • uberspace.de
      Thanked by 1isunbejo
    • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

      klikli said: When I was shopping around for shared hosting, they seem to tick all the checkboxes and are developer friendly. However as soon as I signed up, it turns out the node I am on has all kinds of issues and go down way too often. I finally decided to give up and just go back to other hosts.

      That's too bad...I was with them for 7 or 8 years and saw very few problems, but it's been a few years.

      I do love their (homegrown) panel - much better than cPanel. The API is not as developed but was sufficient for my needs. It's oriented towards people who want to automate their own stuff not resell.

      tester4 said: it's the best commercial control panel out there and as I mentioned - there's very few companies left not run by GoDaddy that have their own panels that weren't developed in 2004.

      Dreamhost ticks this box. They have I think all the features of cPanel (softtaculous-like autoinstaller, mysql management, etc.) without that hideous design. Though actually I think their panel goes back quite a ways before 2004, though they've kept it up.

      I just wish they weren't $7-10/month.

      Dreamhost was my first shared host and everything just made sense ("oh, my domain is hosted out of /home/myname/example.com, that makes sense"). Then later I used a cPanel host and thought...WTF is this? public_html? subdomains off it that are part of add-on domains but aren't part of the main domain but are part of its directory structure...no sensible way to add a MySQL db & user (the 99% use case) without clicking through multiple screens...ugh...

      hzr said: I don't want to manually remove 50 subdomains like webmail and ftp whenever I add a subdomain

      Exactly.

      cPanel is the Microsoft Windows of panels.

      Thanked by 1uptime

      For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

      Over the past few months we have been met with many challenges within the moderation business. Some that have not been overcome.

    • spareksparek Member

      I'm curious... why does it have to be shared hosting?

      If SSH is vital and you don't want cPanel or DirectAdmin... why not just get a cheap VPS?

      Thanked by 1commercial
    • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Provider

      Sounds like a great way to get hacked honestly. I personally wouldnt trust 99% of shared hosts to have a SSH environment properly secured. Consider a VPS.

      X4B - DDoS Protection: Affordable Anycast DDoS protection including Layer 7 mitigation with PoPs in the US, EU and Asia.
      Latest Offer: Black Friday 2019 Offer
    • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

      SplitIce said: Sounds like a great way to get hacked honestly. I personally wouldnt trust 99% of shared hosts to have a SSH environment properly secured. Consider a VPS.

      If they're running cPanel, I think it's pretty simple for them since it's jailed out of the box, etc. However, port 22 can easily be flooded to the point that it's unusable.

      BuyShared offers ssh access, for example.

      sparek said: If SSH is vital and you don't want cPanel or DirectAdmin... why not just get a cheap VPS?

      I'm guessing he doesn't want the hassle of administering a web server.

      Yeah, it's simple but...it's really not. It's simple for me at this point because I've done it a bunch and have all the copy-update-paste nginx config files, etc. but if you're starting from a blank sheet, nginx can be iterative tweaking tedium. If you're focused on writing HTML, CSS, JS, etc., going and learning nginx can be an afternoon you'd rather not burn. It's been a long time since I admin'd Apache but it's much the same. Which modules to include? Which SSL ciphers do I allow? Which php packages do I need? Now let's config a firewall...etc.

      Not to mention that with a vps you have to patch it, secure it, back it up, etc. Some people just aren't interested in that all that fun.

      For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

      Over the past few months we have been met with many challenges within the moderation business. Some that have not been overcome.

    • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

      hzr said: a host that was acquired by Godaddy

      I'm curious who. A shared hosting provider that doesn't use cPanel or DA, offers node.js, and accepts Bitcoin sounds like a rare bird.

      For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

      Over the past few months we have been met with many challenges within the moderation business. Some that have not been overcome.

    • spareksparek Member

      Well, in my experience, shared hosting is meant for the majority of users. It's not meant to be selective in what is offered.

      In my experience with offering shared hosting, the vast, vast, vast majority of users do not need SSH access. I can probably count on one hand the number of accounts that need (or "need") SSH access on our shared hosting servers. So why open yourself up for another avenue for abuse by advertising/offering SSH access with your shared hosting offerings?

      We also don't offer Postgresql on our shared hosting servers. At one time we did. We had one user that used 2 postgresql databases. But every time we had to upgrade those servers or move his account, we had to insure that the new server also had Postgresql. It just wasn't worth it to us to maintain Postgresql for one user and two databases. Everybody else is fine with MySQL/MariaDB.

      Now... having said all of that, that's not meant to belittle the OP's request. There certainly are circumstances where SSH access is needed or required. And there certainly are reasons to need Postgresql. But I'm just saying that - at least in my opinion - these requests are deviating from what is standardly offered (or supported... some hosts might "offer" Postgresql, but when it comes to issues with the database... do they really "support" it?) and that's going to make it a bit more difficult to find a matching shared host.

      I understand that maintaining your own server can be difficult. But you have to weigh the pros and cons. If you NEED ssh access and you NEED Postgresql and you NEED a lot of other non-standard shared hosting things, then you may be better off just biting the bullet and getting your own server and maintaining that server. Difficult? Possibly. But it's the price you have to pay for deviating from the more standard shared hosting offerings.

    • hzrhzr Member, Moderator
      edited January 7

      I have to ask: Postgres and SSH are nonstandard? What? How do you deploy anything in node or python, django, etc? I'm a bit confused - this kind of stuff is nearly standard with eg Heroku - am I looking in the wrong segment?

    • spareksparek Member

      Well, maybe I am wrong.

      But I just don't see a ton of requests for NodeJS, Python, Django, Postgresql, SSH, etc. in shared hosting. I may be completely wrong here.

      When I see shared hosting clients... they mostly want a WordPress site. They want an installer in the control panel that allows them to install WordPress with a single click. Then they want to be able to use a certain theme and a gazillion plugins to format their WordPress site to fit their specific need. That is what I see when I see the term "shared hosting"

      Are there shared hosting providers that provide all those little things? I'm sure there are. Do the people that run those servers actually know anything about those things? I don't know. I think a lot of shared hosting providers are shoot first, ask questions later type of hosts. And the other aspect of it, do those hosting providers actually have any clients that use any of those little things? I suppose if they have 50 total clients and 3 of them are using NodeJS that might be significant. But if they 12,000 clients and 5 of them are using NodeJS that's hardly worth the resources needed to maintain that structure.

      That's the way I see it... I'm not going to say I'm right, that's just the way I see it.

      The majority of shared hosting clients have no idea what lowendtalk (or that other talking web hosting forum) is. Knowing about these forums, posting in them, probably indicate that in terms of know-how, you're probably a step up from typical shared hosting customers.

    • nemnem Member, Provider
      edited January 7

      @raindog308 said:

      hzr said: a host that was acquired by Godaddy

      I'm curious who. A shared hosting provider that doesn't use cPanel or DA, offers node.js, and accepts Bitcoin sounds like a rare bird.

      I'm going to guess WebFaction based upon the influx I've seen on Hostineer. That's going to be the closest match to WebFaction's offerings and ticks all the boxes. OpalStack was started by former employees of WebFaction. Of course there's always ApisCP; Hostineer is my whitelabel brand for edge testing of the platform.

    • hzrhzr Member, Moderator
      edited January 7

      nem said: whitelabel brand for edge testing of the platform

      I've thrown a few customers at you (and lithium!) before you rebranded :)

      Interested. I recall your lowest plan didn't offer ssh in the past, but now it does.

      Thanks for the opalstack heads up too, I like the cheeky "⁉️What’s that? You say your favorite quirky developer-friendly web host got bulldozed in a giant corporate acquisition?"

    • nemnem Member, Provider

      @hzr said:

      nem said: whitelabel brand for edge testing of the platform

      I've thrown a few customers at you (and lithium!) before you rebranded :)

      Interested. I recall your lowest plan didn't offer ssh in the past, but now it does.

      Thanks for the opalstack heads up too, I like the cheeky "⁉️What’s that? You say your favorite quirky developer-friendly web host got bulldozed in a giant corporate acquisition?"

      Thanks for the referrals! Everything was shifted down a notch in 2016, retiring the SSH-less package to allow focus on platform development. The primary differences now are RAM, storage, and bandwidth on each plan. Business plans include support to route SMTP over its own IP.

      Lithium is running ApisCP as well. It's rebranded to LiPanel :)

    • @sparek said:

      The majority of shared hosting clients have no idea what lowendtalk (or that other talking web hosting forum) is. Knowing about these forums, posting in them, probably indicate that in terms of know-how, you're probably a step up from typical shared hosting customers.

      Using a forum in 2020 means you're either old, or geek - one not excluding the other. :)

      Using a term "geek" means you're old. :)

      Mostly harmless™

      I/O Gremlin

    • faizan190faizan190 Member
      edited January 11

      My daddy is @FAT32

    • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Provider
      edited January 10

      @hzr said:
      I will keep it short:

      • US West or US Central location
      • accepts BTC or cc (CC not through paypal)
      • ssh with at least git, node, python3
      • Not cPanel or DA
      • Unlimited domains, 5GB disk, <100GB bw.
      • Postgres support (9.x+ modern, requires the json/jsonb data type and accessors)

      I'm moving a few dozen sites off a host that was acquired by Godaddy.

      We have most of our plans with SSH. Here

      EDIT: If you dont need cPanel we can setup a different panel like cyberpanel for you.

      XiNiX™ InfoTech Pvt. Ltd. : Virtual & Dedicated Servers in US / EU & India
      Our Very Limited Shared / VPS / Cloud & Dedicated , Promotional Offers > [ Special Offers ]

    • bikegremlin said: Using a forum in 2020 means you're either old, or geek - one not excluding the other.

      Hey, I love forums here in cyberspace! It's how I find things on the information superhighway.

      For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

      Over the past few months we have been met with many challenges within the moderation business. Some that have not been overcome.

    • @raindog308 said:

      bikegremlin said: Using a forum in 2020 means you're either old, or geek - one not excluding the other.

      Hey, I love forums here in cyberspace! It's how I find things on the information superhighway.

      That's the spirit! :)

      Mostly harmless™

      I/O Gremlin

    • @faizan190 said:
      You can get shared hosting at go daddy

      Congrats on your ninth comment

      Thanked by 1nem

      "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

    Sign In or Register to comment.