Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Hostsolutions's core router has completely fried
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Hostsolutions's core router has completely fried

Dear Hostsolutions.ro clients, Unfortunately, this morning, our core router (A new Juniper purchased very recently) has completely fried. This was an unexpected event given the fact that it's brand-new hardware deployed to our network. We are currently working on replacing the core router with our older model - and sending the Juniper to RMA for repair and ask for further details from the manufacturer. The ETA is one hour. Our sincere apologies for the hassle this may cause to you.

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• I wonder who composed that :joy:

Thanked by 3BlaZe TimboJones Unixfy

DomainPeon
    Ongoing Auctions: LowEndTalk

• @thedp said:
    I wonder who composed that :joy:

@MikePT?

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

• @poisson said:

@thedp said:
    I wonder who composed that :joy:

@MikePT?

Ah, ok.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

DomainPeon
    Ongoing Auctions: LowEndTalk

• There was a typo i guess ETA should have been 1 day not 1 hour.

• Yeah, shit happens. Someone lost >1Million already?

• pan fried or deep fried?

Remember the value of LET is purely based on its traffic.

• Kentucky Fried

Purveyor of high quality potassium

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited December 2019

Murphy Fried Switches

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2019

Sad news...
    I've checked my website backups, seems work on well.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

@cybertech said:
    pan fried or deep fried?

Definitely Deep Friend.

Network is back online, we're still bringing upstreams online though.

Thanked by 2cybertech dahartigan
  • Have an Allwinner H3 device? Android? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC | #SYSarm - Get It! | Atomic Pi - $35 x86 SBC
    21+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting, Administration and Development Services

• Can you only have one core router in a network?

tsdns.io - free, redundant, DDoS-protected TSDNS

• @tr1cky said:
    Can you only have one core router in a network?

in lowend world everything is supposed single without redundancy, no?

I mean if you look around here it for dedi offers for example... people jump on things with a single disk all the time without even asking. so why should they think (beforehand) about their provider having two routers, two network cables, two PSUs and whatnot?

most recommended Provider: First-Root KVM Power-Edition /w SSD
    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

• @aneesh120 said:
    There was a typo i guess ETA should have been 1 day not 1 hour.

So it's more like Black Fried Day.

Providing less than /64 means "we are clueless about IPv6". My geekbench results. I haz BuyvM, IonSwitch, OneProv, Servarica, Veesp.

• @Shot2 said:

@aneesh120 said:
    There was a typo i guess ETA should have been 1 day not 1 hour.

So it's more like Black Fried Day.

• @pike said:
    Yeah, shit happens. Someone lost >1Million already?

Save hundreds of millions life.

Coffee, please.

• I'm furious, I lost 2 millions because of this!!!! (:P)

• JordJord Moderator, Provider

I lost many sisters due to this.

BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

• @Falzo said:

@tr1cky said:

I mean if you look around here it for dedi offers for example... people jump on things with a single disk all the time without even asking. so why should they think (beforehand) about their provider having two routers, two network cables, two PSUs and whatnot?

Less is more 😂

• On the one hand I'm p_ssed off by the outage and by the fact that @cociu didn't have the wisdom to keep the old router in the rack (right next to the new one) *along with all needed cables ...
    but otoh, hey, he had no reason to expect a new router from a well reputed brand to fail within less than 2 months.

Big plus: he entered a bit late but it was very positive to see @MikePT jump in and provide info updates in good English (easier to read than cocius renglish)

Hint to all providers: When SHTF not providing first info soon and the timely info updates does not add to the anger of customers, it actually multiplies it. So, be sure to have your communication people prepared ...

Thanked by 2MikePT dosai

Thanks no.

• @Falzo said:

@tr1cky said:

The question is, why should you have 2 disks when you can have 1?

• @angelius said:
    I'm furious, I lost 2 millions because of this!!!! (:P)

@Jord said:
    I lost many sisters due to this.

Several pandas died because of this. They should have shafted the router with bamboo. That would have un-fried it.

• @angelius said:
    I'm furious, I lost 2 millions because of this!!!! (:P)

Well I hope its Rp.

Remember the value of LET is purely based on its traffic.

edited December 2019

@jsg said:
    On the one hand I'm p_ssed off by the outage and by the fact that @cociu didn't have the wisdom to keep the old router in the rack (right next to the new one) *along with all needed cables ...
    but otoh, hey, he had no reason to expect a new router from a well reputed brand to fail within less than 2 months.

Big plus: he entered a bit late but it was very positive to see @MikePT jump in and provide info updates in good English (easier to read than cocius renglish)

Hint to all providers: When SHTF not providing first info soon and the timely info updates does not add to the anger of customers, it actually multiplies it. So, be sure to have your communication people prepared ...

Thank you!

I didnt do much today other than keeping you guys posted as I am not near the DC :(.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2skorous vimalware
  • @Falzo said:

@tr1cky said:

Well, I have two storage VPSes for redundancy.. they both happen to be with cociu.

• @poisson said:
    Well, I have two storage VPSes for redundancy.. they both happen to be with cociu.

+1 for having dual storage, but ...
    - those 2 storage servers should be with different providers
    - at least one of which should be good quality and reliability, and support (especially when the other one isn't highly reliable).

@cociu seems to be on the way towards becoming reliable and good quality (multiple indications suggest that) but he is not close yet (as the current outage clearly suggests).

Thanked by 1poisson

Thanks no.

• @jsg said:

@poisson said:

+1 for having dual storage, but ...
    - those 2 storage servers should be with different providers
    - at least one of which should be good quality and reliability, and support (especially when the other one isn't highly reliable).

@cociu seems to be on the way towards becoming reliable and good quality (multiple indications suggest that) but he is not close yet (as the current outage clearly suggests).

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I was deadpanning and they are not anything critical.

I am with you on cociu. I will continue to recommend cociu because a reasonable person will conclude this is Murphy at work. Honestly, if if I buy a Mercedes Benz, I don't expect it to kaput in less than two months and to ask me to buy two Mercedes Benz for redundancy is... I might as well buy two cheap Korean makes with that money. The point is if I pay premium, I expect it to work like it is worth the premium.

For this reason, I am not upset with cociu. That said, he could have been better prepared and as I previously suggested, it is perhaps timely to get his tech team together, sit down and identify all the weak links and put in place mitigation measures wherever possible so that he increases his future reliability. He is a good and responsible business owner and like you, I hope to see him become a bigger, better player.

I am staying with cociu for quite a while. :)

Thanked by 2vpsGOD dahartigan

• We did it. Death by Linux isos

Thanked by 2dahartigan maverickp

Tired of LET scams?
    A Moderated forum : https://talk.lowendspirit.com/

• Wait, I how did people figure out MikePT wrote the message?

Also, any idea how much does those core routers cost lol.

Thanked by 2dahartigan MikePT
  • @ps20090 said:
    Wait, I how did people figure out MikePT wrote the message?

cociu wrote:

In the past we had use cisco 6500 model (a verry old one) so i have decided to invert in new stuff but unfortunatly is cost much and i have split the inversion in 2 different period to not have problem with chash flow ... so i have just inverted 42k 40 days ago and was panned to buy the same config this next month ..

• A Juniper router suddenly died, right...

• @techhelper1 said:
    A Juniper router suddenly died, right...

Your point being? Juniper routers never die?

• I'm a dedicated server used to make websites. This failure lasts for nearly 10 hours. Three days ago, there was a network failure for nearly 8 hours. Unfortunately, there were two failures in these days. Now my website IP is very few.

• @xinba said:
    I'm a dedicated server used to make websites. This failure lasts for nearly 10 hours. Three days ago, there was a network failure for nearly 8 hours. Unfortunately, there were two failures in these days. Now my website IP is very few.

You get what you pay for. These VPS are perfect for torrenting, sharing isos with your friends, using them as backup storage etc..

tsdns.io - free, redundant, DDoS-protected TSDNS

• @tr1cky said:

@xinba said:
    I'm a dedicated server used to make websites. This failure lasts for nearly 10 hours. Three days ago, there was a network failure for nearly 8 hours. Unfortunately, there were two failures in these days. Now my website IP is very few.

You get what you pay for. These VPS are perfect for torrenting, sharing isos with your friends, using them as backup storage etc..

I'm going to migrate to another place and replace the dedicated server with storage VPS for backup and storage

• @xinba said:

@tr1cky said:

@xinba said:

I'm going to migrate to another place and replace the dedicated server with storage VPS for backup and storage

Nexus Bytes is offering a sweet switch deal if you are ok with VPS. My experience is that it is very stable and performs like a dedicated even though it is a VPS. Have a chat with @seriesn

Thanked by 1seriesn

• terrahostterrahost Member, Provider

May I ask what Juniper router this was?

Thanked by 1Janevski

Terrahost AS - Dedicated and virtual servers - Colocation - Own datacenters in Norway - Accept Bitcoin

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

@PhantomPain said:

Dear Hostsolutions.ro clients, Unfortunately, this morning, our core router (A new Juniper purchased very recently) has completely fried. This was an unexpected event given the fact that it's brand-new hardware deployed to our network. We are currently working on replacing the core router with our older model - and sending the Juniper to RMA for repair and ask for further details from the manufacturer. The ETA is one hour. Our sincere apologies for the hassle this may cause to you.

I swear, Junipers must be the most unreliable enterprise routers around. whats the point in spending so much money on enterprise gear when they dont offer any semblance of reliability relatice to commodity gear.

Ive got DIY routers in production handling millions of pps in some locations, basically cost nothing, and setup with redundancy in mind. A juniper setup of equivalent capacity would cost me ~50K+.

Cisco seems alright re. reliability. Still damned expensive tho. Need to look into those cheap huawei knockoffs i keep hearing about

• @randvegeta said:

@PhantomPain said:

I swear, Junipers must be the most unreliable enterprise routers around. whats the point in spending so much money on enterprise gear when they dont offer any semblance of reliability relatice to commodity gear.

Ive got DIY routers in production handling millions of pps in some locations, basically cost nothing, and setup with redundancy in mind. A juniper setup of equivalent capacity would cost me ~50K+.

Cisco seems alright re. reliability. Still damned expensive tho. Need to look into those cheap huawei knockoffs i keep hearing about

DIY router? Care to share? Some pics maybe?

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Linode, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• dfroedfroe Member, Provider

@cociu said: In the past we had use cisco 6500 model (a verry old one) so i have decided to invert in new stuff

Oh no. Every time a Cisco 6500 gets replaced by something else, things start to get worse. :)
    Those good old catalysts are old and energy inefficient. But they usually just work for decades. :)

Thanked by 1randvegeta

IT Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• @randvegeta said:

@PhantomPain said:

Mind reaching out to @cociu and sharing your solution? :)

@ps20090 said:
    Wait, I how did people figure out MikePT wrote the message?

I provide support for several companies here :) 👍

• Our potatoe has completely fried.

Thanked by 2uptime yoursunny

You are dreaming. | And it's a nightmare. | THE SECRET THREAD | THE TRUTH | HAVES YOU SEEN THIS YURA?
    „Homo homini rattus.“ | It's not nightmare, it's reality, but it's still nightmare.

• How hot is the DC?
    Maybe the fancy routers are delicate flowers.

Tired of LET scams?
    A Moderated forum : https://talk.lowendspirit.com/

• randvegeta said: Need to look into those cheap huawei knockoffs i keep hearing about

Will there be any security concerns about that?

• @PhantomPain said:

randvegeta said: Need to look into those cheap huawei knockoffs i keep hearing about

Will there be any security concerns about that?

I'm confident that those concerns won't be worse than the Cisco and Juniper cluster f_ckups ...

Thanks no.

• LTnigerLTniger Member
    edited December 2019

I keep my tiny list of cociu business adventures. So far:

1. The FSCK incident;
    2. Self-shrinking disk space (a.k.a disappearing storage);
    3. Network uptime is like there is no tomorrow (a.k.a accidental uptime);
    4. Critical for business WHMCS module, which took 1+ year to develop;
    5. Completely fried enterprise grade, new (?) network hardware from Juniper (this is comparable to lightning strike underground in a moon, orbiting around Uranus);

Honestly, this keeps me motivated to continue my own endeavours and believe that I can and I will succeed no matter what.

Thanked by 2level6 benj0x

Wordpress Hosting - To make developers life more enjoyable!

• avelineaveline Member, Provider

Honestly, HostSoultions don't need a router as AS44420 is single-homed to AS5588.

Two modern L3 switches would be enough and it's much cheaper more reliable:-D

Thanked by 2feezioxiii Aluminat

Misaka.io - Probably the world's second fastest Anycast GeoDNS | 50+ POPs across 6 continents. AXFR and DNSSEC supported.
    ZeptoVM - Reliable high-performance virtual server with BGP support | Ashburn, Reston, St. Petersburg, Khabarovsk, Johannesburg

• @LTniger said:
    I keep my tiny list of cociu business adventures. So far:

1. The FSCK incident;
    2. Self-shrinking disk space (a.k.a disappearing storage);
    3. Network uptime is like there is no tomorrow (a.k.a accidental uptime);
    4. Critical for business WHMCS module, which took 1+ year to develop;
    5. Completely fried enterprise grade, new (?) network hardware from Juniper (this is comparable to lightning strike underground in a moon, orbiting around Uranus);

Honestly, this keeps me motivated to continue my own endeavours and believe that I can and I will succeed no matter what.

post after you actually succeed