Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostsolutions's core router has completely fried
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostsolutions's core router has completely fried

Dear Hostsolutions.ro clients, Unfortunately, this morning, our core router (A new Juniper purchased very recently) has completely fried. This was an unexpected event given the fact that it's brand-new hardware deployed to our network. We are currently working on replacing the core router with our older model - and sending the Juniper to RMA for repair and ask for further details from the manufacturer. The ETA is one hour. Our sincere apologies for the hassle this may cause to you.

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I wonder who composed that :joy:

Thanked by 3BlaZe TimboJones Unixfy
  • @thedp said:

@MikePT?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@poisson said:

@thedp said:

@MikePT?

Ah, ok.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • There was a typo i guess ETA should have been 1 day not 1 hour.

• Yeah, shit happens. Someone lost >1Million already?

• pan fried or deep fried?

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited December 2019

Murphy Fried Switches

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2019

Sad news...
    I've checked my website backups, seems work on well.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@cybertech said:
    pan fried or deep fried?

Definitely Deep Friend.

Network is back online, we're still bringing upstreams online though.

Thanked by 2cybertech dahartigan
  • Can you only have one core router in a network?

• @tr1cky said:
    Can you only have one core router in a network?

in lowend world everything is supposed single without redundancy, no?

I mean if you look around here it for dedi offers for example... people jump on things with a single disk all the time without even asking. so why should they think (beforehand) about their provider having two routers, two network cables, two PSUs and whatnot?

• @aneesh120 said:
    There was a typo i guess ETA should have been 1 day not 1 hour.

So it's more like Black Fried Day.

• @Shot2 said:

@aneesh120 said:
    There was a typo i guess ETA should have been 1 day not 1 hour.

So it's more like Black Fried Day.

• @pike said:
    Yeah, shit happens. Someone lost >1Million already?

Save hundreds of millions life.

• I'm furious, I lost 2 millions because of this!!!! (:P)

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I lost many sisters due to this.

• @Falzo said:

@tr1cky said:

I mean if you look around here it for dedi offers for example... people jump on things with a single disk all the time without even asking. so why should they think (beforehand) about their provider having two routers, two network cables, two PSUs and whatnot?

Less is more 😂

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

On the one hand I'm p_ssed off by the outage and by the fact that @cociu didn't have the wisdom to keep the old router in the rack (right next to the new one) *along with all needed cables ...
    but otoh, hey, he had no reason to expect a new router from a well reputed brand to fail within less than 2 months.

Big plus: he entered a bit late but it was very positive to see @MikePT jump in and provide info updates in good English (easier to read than cocius renglish)

Hint to all providers: When SHTF not providing first info soon and the timely info updates does not add to the anger of customers, it actually multiplies it. So, be sure to have your communication people prepared ...

Thanked by 2MikePT dosai
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Falzo said:

@tr1cky said:

The question is, why should you have 2 disks when you can have 1?

• @angelius said:
    I'm furious, I lost 2 millions because of this!!!! (:P)

@Jord said:
    I lost many sisters due to this.

Several pandas died because of this. They should have shafted the router with bamboo. That would have un-fried it.

• @angelius said:
    I'm furious, I lost 2 millions because of this!!!! (:P)

Well I hope its Rp.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited December 2019

@jsg said:
    On the one hand I'm p_ssed off by the outage and by the fact that @cociu didn't have the wisdom to keep the old router in the rack (right next to the new one) *along with all needed cables ...
    but otoh, hey, he had no reason to expect a new router from a well reputed brand to fail within less than 2 months.

Big plus: he entered a bit late but it was very positive to see @MikePT jump in and provide info updates in good English (easier to read than cocius renglish)

Hint to all providers: When SHTF not providing first info soon and the timely info updates does not add to the anger of customers, it actually multiplies it. So, be sure to have your communication people prepared ...

Thank you!

I didnt do much today other than keeping you guys posted as I am not near the DC :(.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2skorous vimalware
  • @Falzo said:

@tr1cky said:

Well, I have two storage VPSes for redundancy.. they both happen to be with cociu.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@poisson said:
    Well, I have two storage VPSes for redundancy.. they both happen to be with cociu.

+1 for having dual storage, but ...
    - those 2 storage servers should be with different providers
    - at least one of which should be good quality and reliability, and support (especially when the other one isn't highly reliable).

@cociu seems to be on the way towards becoming reliable and good quality (multiple indications suggest that) but he is not close yet (as the current outage clearly suggests).

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @jsg said:

@poisson said:

+1 for having dual storage, but ...
    - those 2 storage servers should be with different providers
    - at least one of which should be good quality and reliability, and support (especially when the other one isn't highly reliable).

@cociu seems to be on the way towards becoming reliable and good quality (multiple indications suggest that) but he is not close yet (as the current outage clearly suggests).

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I was deadpanning and they are not anything critical.

I am with you on cociu. I will continue to recommend cociu because a reasonable person will conclude this is Murphy at work. Honestly, if if I buy a Mercedes Benz, I don't expect it to kaput in less than two months and to ask me to buy two Mercedes Benz for redundancy is... I might as well buy two cheap Korean makes with that money. The point is if I pay premium, I expect it to work like it is worth the premium.

For this reason, I am not upset with cociu. That said, he could have been better prepared and as I previously suggested, it is perhaps timely to get his tech team together, sit down and identify all the weak links and put in place mitigation measures wherever possible so that he increases his future reliability. He is a good and responsible business owner and like you, I hope to see him become a bigger, better player.

I am staying with cociu for quite a while. :)

Thanked by 2vpsGOD dahartigan
  • We did it. Death by Linux isos

Thanked by 2dahartigan maverickp
  • Wait, I how did people figure out MikePT wrote the message?

Also, any idea how much does those core routers cost lol.

Thanked by 2dahartigan MikePT