Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
How much do you spend each month on hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

How much do you spend each month on hosting?

FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

As the title said, how much do you spend each month on VPS / Dedicated / Domain for personal use?

I just did some maths to find out how much I actually spent and the number is quite high, I never noticed I idled that much. I may need to cut down some soon (or if providers can cut down the price LOL), especially when 70% or more of that is idling, but most of them are just too good to let go :(

-
  1. How much do you spend each month on hosting?258 votes
    1. Less than $10/m
      22.09%
    2. $10-20/m
      15.89%
    3. $20-30/m
      10.47%
    4. $30-50/m
      10.47%
    5. $50-70/m
        8.14%
    6. $70-90/m
        3.49%
    7. $90-120/m
        5.04%
    8. $120-150/m
        3.88%
    9. $150-180/m
        2.33%
    10. $180-250/m
        2.71%
    11. More than $250/m
      15.50%

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Comments

• @FAT32 said: I just did some maths to find out how much I actually spent and the number is quite high,

So you won't tell us? :wink:

(I'm a little afraid to add up my monthly expenses!)

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@angstrom said:
    So you won't tell us? :wink:

Well, it is about $90 per month...

Thanked by 3angstrom Ympker Ouji

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

• I don't really want to think about that lol... the 10-20 is what I chose because that's what my "personal" budget is but the reality is probably higher.

Thanked by 3FAT32 poisson maverickp

Purveyor of high quality potassium

@dahartigan said:
    I don't really want to think about that lol... the 10-20 is what I chose because that's what my "personal" budget is but the reality is probably higher.

How can you guys keep the budget so low :( Just a single dedi alone is probably gonna higher than that...

I have to blame @HostDoc because that's the Top 3 companies that I spend my money on... :(

Thanked by 1niceboy

• most spendings I do are somehow business related. at least that's what I tell myself...

however, @Nekki already put his vote in LOL :-P

Thanked by 2FAT32 Ympker

UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

@Falzo said:

I wish I can make use of them to make money :(

How do you know Nekki voted? :o

• Thanked by 1FAT32

grape

• You should cancel some of them, I keep 2 dedicated servers idle more than 1 year then I think with that amount of money, I can buy any dedicated server I want in short term 😂😂😂

• Around $90 monthly :open_mouth:

@imok said:
    Around $90 monthly :open_mouth:

Are you shocked by my spending or you spent that amount too?

• Current spend is about ~325EUR/Mo. Should be able to cut down to ~220EUR/Mo by Feb 2020, once I cancel a couple of old dedicated servers and consolidate to a single beefy server with Hetzner.

• actual use: $50
    Idling: I need invoice notice to see what I have.

Thanked by 1coreflux

Coffee, please.

• FrankZFrankZ Member
    edited December 2019
  • too much ?

• 71 euro/month

• @FAT32 said:

@imok said:
    Around $90 monthly :open_mouth:

Are you shocked by my spending or you spent that amount too?

I spend that amount. A dedi eats 60% of it.

"Business" but not so real.

• 11 Eur/m Netcup VPS + 13 Eur / yr Domain.

• FAT32 said: How do you know Nekki voted?

who else should be voting for >$250 monthly for personal use ?? 😂

UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

• Im at a little over $250. Scary. Good going buddy, now I need to cancel some to get to around $100
    Time to establish a LET anonymous, so we can all get the help we need? (Yes, more VMs).

Thanked by 3K4Y5 uptime MTUser2012
  • @Falzo said:

FAT32 said: How do you know Nekki voted?

who else should be voting for >$250 monthly for personal use ?? 😂

While it's true that @Nekki said more than once in the past that he spent more than £200 monthly on his servers, I doubt that he voted here. It's probably just someone who is trolling.

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2019

A few months back I have cut down on costs so right now I am only paying for my domain 6€/year and Hostmantis Reseller 25GB 25€/year. Throw in a SmallWeb @Mic-hael for 3GBP smth a year. All in all, if divided into monthly cost it comes to probably less than ~4€/month.

I do have MyW Shared 2GB and Reseller 50GB Lifetime, so no more fees here. Thanks @MikePT :)

I also have "sponsored/free" Shared Hosting with Inception Hosting which is also stable. Thanks @AnthonySmith ;)

No VPS atm. If I need any, I use m 20$ Lunanode credit I won in a giveaway.

Thanked by 3MikePT Ouji SmallWeb
  • @FAT32 said:
    As the title said, how much do you spend each month on VPS / Dedicated / Domain for personal use?

I just did some maths to find out how much I actually spent and the number is quite high, I never noticed I idled that much. I may need to cut down some soon (or if providers can cut down the price LOL), especially when 70% or more of that is idling, but most of them are just too good to let go :(

Does this include idling power?

• About $80. A Plex server takes up most of my budget :neutral:

One-click CDN server installation on your own VPS: OneClickCDN
    One-click browser-accessible Desktop environment on Linux VPS: OneClickDesktop

• JordJord Moderator, Provider

Around £250 a month ouch.... I need help....

BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited December 2019

83 pence.

Edit: with domains, probably about £1.50

Thanked by 1Devil

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• Domain Renewal - 25$ + 10$ + 8$ - 42$/yr (personal use)
    Vps (storage + primary) - 35$ + 16$ + 18$ - 69$/yr ( idlying + personal use)

Mail - 10$/yr

Total - (42+69 + 10)/12 - 10.1$/month.

Shit that seems too much for idling

quam bene vivas refert non quam diu

• I try to hold mine to $100a month. I have a server with 32 IPs for $77 a month, a Kimsufi I5 for $11 a month and an Letbox 3tb backup server for $7 a month. Oh and a Digital Ocean vps for $5.

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited December 2019

Hosting - About 110.
    Domains - About 70.
    Total = (110 + 70)/12 = About $15/month.

• Hosting is around £15 at the moment.
    Domains are around £16 (after a few lapse soon).

So around £31 a month - in US dollars right now - $40.73.

Hoping to make use of subdomains later to get rid of more domains and reduce costs.

• about 100 Euros per month for Business [netcup, phpfriends]
    12 per year from Virmach for personal
    20 usd per month Digital ocean - Business [have 500$ startup credit from them]

LET === User Enlightened Territory

• hyperexperthyperexpert Member, Provider

You don't wanna know :tired_face:

Hyper Expert | Launch a high performance VPS in New York or Seattle in under 60 seconds | KVM plans starting at $2.99

• Providers should be disqualified from this lmao

• MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

@Ympker said:
    A few months back I have cut down on costs so right now I am only paying for my domain 6€/year and Hostmantis Reseller 25GB 25€/year. Throw in a SmallWeb @Mic-hael for 3GBP smth a year. All in all, if divided into monthly cost it comes to probably less than ~4€/month.

I do have MyW Shared 2GB and Reseller 50GB Lifetime, so no more fees here. Thanks @MikePT :)

I also have "sponsored/free" Shared Hosting with Inception Hosting which is also stable. Thanks @AnthonySmith ;)

No VPS atm. If I need any, I use m 20$ Lunanode credit I won in a giveaway.

Superb thank you mate ❤️

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • abjrabjr Member
    edited December 2019
    VMs     $265.58  
    Domains $202.05  
    Yearly  $467.63  
    Monthly  $38.97  

More than I thought, but not too outrageous.

• Used to spend 180 EUR a month for two dedi’s.

I am switching to Hetzner. More resources for less money. I will pay 150 EUR a month for two dedi’s in total starting from this month.

That’s a lot, yes.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL Ouji
  • @K4Y5 said:
    Current spend is about ~325EUR/Mo. Should be able to cut down to ~220EUR/Mo by Feb 2020, once I cancel a couple of old dedicated servers and consolidate to a single beefy server with Hetzner.

For personal usage? Wtf are you using them for?

• @lowending said:
    Providers should be disqualified from this lmao

People who don't know what personal means should be disqualified. Providers have personal lives, too.

Thanked by 1lowending
  • @TimboJones said:

@K4Y5 said:
    Current spend is about ~325EUR/Mo. Should be able to cut down to ~220EUR/Mo by Feb 2020, once I cancel a couple of old dedicated servers and consolidate to a single beefy server with Hetzner.

Yes, I can read, thanks.

Storage for a whole bunch of stuff isn't really cheap. That's what a major chunk of money goes towards. Besides, I self-host a ton of apps used by the family, maintain device and media backups on hardware that I control, and also contribute to a few projects on the side which require decent amount of computing resources - so, it all adds up.

I could save a ton by investing in a home lab, but I'd rather have my servers hosted at a DC with reliable power and network connectivity, as I travel a fair bit and cbf to worry about such basic things while on the move.

Thanked by 3vimalware FrankZ Ouji
  • $30-$40/month all living in APAC :smile:

• @K4Y5 said:

@TimboJones said:

@K4Y5 said:

Yes, I can read, thanks.

One might argue friends and family are not "personal", but I get your point.

Storage for a whole bunch of stuff isn't really cheap. That's what a major chunk of money goes towards. Besides, I self-host a ton of apps used by the family, maintain device and media backups on hardware that I control, and also contribute to a few projects on the side which require decent amount of computing resources - so, it all adds up.

I could save a ton by investing in a home lab, but I'd rather have my servers hosted at a DC with reliable power and network connectivity, as I travel a fair bit and cbf to worry about such basic things while on the move.

At 300+/mo, those aren't friends and family, those are leeches. Probably could use some third party services to reduce your burden further, since you travel a lot and don't want to be holding data hostage for friends and family or have your free time away eaten up helping someone.

• VPS for processing $6/m
    VPS for storage $4.50/m
    VPS idling $2.50/m
    Shared hosting about $9/month
    Domains about $150/month
    Total..
    Approx.. $170/m

• 80$ monthly

• At about $55 month for personal. $1100/mo for everything on the business side. :expressionless: Obviously offset by income from running services, but I do miss only having 4 server bills to manage!

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner

metahuman.host - Affordable VPS and Web Hosting | metahumanvpn.network - Affordable VPN
    +++ All profits donated to PDX community programs.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

I am revising my monthly spend Upwards - from $ 7/month to $ 9.50 /month. Stacked one shared hosting plan, and one ipv6 only VPS. Rest are for business, as I had mentioned to Fat32 separately.

Thanked by 2dizaime FAT32
  • seriesnseriesn Member, Top Provider

@job0121 said:
    VPS for processing $6/m
    VPS for storage $4.50/m
    VPS idling $2.50/m
    Shared hosting about $9/month
    Domains about $150/month
    Total..
    Approx.. $170/m

150/month in domain? Damn my man.

• seriesnseriesn Member, Top Provider
    edited January 7

@vyas11 said:
    I am revising my monthly spend Upwards - from $ 7/month to $ 9.50 /month. Stacked one shared hosting plan, and one ipv6 only VPS. Rest are for business, as I had mentioned to Fat32 separately.

Hey handsome <3. Switcher promo is here to ensure your bill keeps on getting lower :P

Thanked by 1vyas11
    edited January 7

@seriesn said:
    Switcher promo is here to ensure your bill keeps on getting lower :P

I don't think any of my services will be cheaper if I switched to NexusBytes... unless you do unsustainable price matching :D

Just to make it clear, don't take it too seriously, I just don't have a need yet but when the time comes I might get something from NexusBytes :)

Thanked by 1vyas11

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 7

@FAT32 said:

Just to make it clear, don't take it too seriously, I just don't have a need yet but when the time comes I might get something from NexusBytes :)

spoilsport

edited January 7

@vyas11 said:
    spoilsport

I am afraid of making comments without putting disclaimers now after last incident :(

Thanked by 3vyas11 poisson thedp