Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP-Friends have jacked up their prices, with 12 month contract period.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP-Friends have jacked up their prices, with 12 month contract period.

k9bangerk9banger Member
edited November 2019 in General

PHP-Friends have jacked up their prices - https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd

The €8.99 euro plan is now €11.90 and their €17.99 plan is now €24.90.

The plans offer more disk space than before with the 8.99 plan offering 60Gb now and the 17.99 one offering 120GB.

They are all on 12 month minimum contract with 1 month notices, unlike before when they offered a month minimum contract IIRC.

It looks like they are softening up potential buyers/renewers for BF. Either get the Black Friday deal, or get stiffed by the regular prices. Its your call. :) :)

Looking forward to an interesting BF.

Edit: Monthly contracts are still available but at a higher price on the order page. Thanks @angstrom

Comments

• @PHP_Friends did mention that the BF deals would be interesting

Thanked by 2tgl Ympker
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited November 2019

Edit: Misunderstood lol

• tgltgl Member
    edited November 2019

this is very disappointing for sure, the G3 was 43 EUR/month as I wanted to buy it, now its 64.50, wtf ?

as the OP said, they added some disk space, instead of 240GB, its now 300GB SDD, but is that worth it?

we will see on bf whats up, should be lower than 43 for me to get it

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2019

@k9banger said: They are all on 12 month minimum contract with 1 month notices, unlike before when they offered a month minimum contract IIRC.

Definitely a price hike, but they at least give more disk space in return.

But you can still opt for a 1 month contract if you want. For example, if we consider the lowest plan, vServer S SSD G3, there are two contract options:

• 12 month contract: 11,90€/m
    • 1 month contract: 13,49€/m
    Thanked by 2k9banger coreflux
  • angstrom said: But you can still opt for a 1 month contract if you want. For example, if we consider the lowest plan, vServer S SSD G3, there are two contract options:

12 month contract: 11,90€/m
    1 month contract: 13,49€/m

Is that displayed on the actual ordering page?

It isn't displayed on the main page, but my German isn't that good

• @k9banger said:

angstrom said: But you can still opt for a 1 month contract if you want. For example, if we consider the lowest plan, vServer S SSD G3, there are two contract options:

12 month contract: 11,90€/m
    1 month contract: 13,49€/m

Is that displayed on the actual ordering page?

It isn't displayed on the main page, but my German isn't that good

Go to https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/vserver-s-ssd-g3 and click on the horizontal red bar "Mindestvertragslaufzeit wechseln: 1 Monat"

Thanked by 1k9banger
  • @tgl said:
    this is very disappointing for sure, the G3 was 43 EUR/month as I wanted to buy it, now its 64.50, wtf ?

as the OP said, they added some disk space, instead of 240GB, its now 300GB SDD, but is that worth it?

we will see on bf whats up, should be lower than 43 for me to get it

Their non-promotional offers have never really been aimed at the low-end market, and this price hike makes this even more the case.

It's really their promotional offers that have been attractive to the low-end market.

Thanked by 1dataforest
  • Any lowender worth their salt knows that regular prices mean nothing. We wait until the promo suddenly appears and then engage in a game of fastest fingers first to score another cheap idling VM (or even free at times). I never bothered about regular prices after going lowend.

• hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited November 2019

vserver g3 from 8,99 euro/month to 13,49 euro/month a plus of 50%!!! wow!!! not longer recommendable! and not a single word in the news section that justifies this enormous price increase. old method / trick, first increase the price and then on black friday cheer this increase on the customer as a discount. 4,50 euro for 20gb more nvme space per month is superb.

Thanked by 2coreflux bjo
  • @poisson said:
    Any lowender worth their salt knows that regular prices mean nothing. We wait until the promo suddenly appears and then engage in a game of fastest fingers first to score another cheap idling VM (or even free at times). I never bothered about regular prices after going lowend.

Hear, hear :smile:

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Oh dear, why? @PHP_Friends we have believed in you.
    Do not follow the unbelieving, Online.net is one of those and you following the dark path, may you be damned.

Thanked by 2webcraft Abd
  • @Neoon said: Do not follow the unbelieving, Online.net is one of those and you following the dark path, may you be damned.

Perhaps a bit extreme, no?

• @hyperblast said:
    vserver g3 from 8,99 euro/month to 13,49 euro/month a plus of 50%!!! wow!!! not longer recommendable! and not a single word in the news section that justifies this enormous price increase. old method / trick, first increase the price and then on black friday cheer this increase on the customer as a discount. 4,50 euro for 20gb more nvme space per month is superb.

I suspect that their BF promotion(s) will be for their older g2 series, so a direct comparison with their g3 pricing would make less sense (but we'll see).

But I agree: it's a significant price increase.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2019

I think I've said before, @PMS_Friends.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2019

@angstrom said:
    Perhaps a bit extreme, no?

Unbeliever.

Jokes aside.
    Far as I know the promos where recurring and not first year or such.

I am sure someone, can explain it on Monday.

• dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

Hi,

first of all, this has nothing to do with Black Friday. Our G3 is based on very modern hardware, we don't have any plans to lower the prices. And to be honest, the products were calculated that tight that we simply can't give any discounts in the G3. So there's no Black Friday marketing move here. But I can understand that it looked like this for a few users.

The G3 recently got a little upgrade (more disk space, new Samsung NVMe SSDs, new CPU). The prices are intended to remain the same. What we are doing currently is an experiment with different prices. That's why we didn't release a news on our site yet, it will follow after the experiment has ended. We plan to run this "test" one week.

Best Regards,
    Tim

• @PHP_Friends said:
    Hi,

first of all, this has nothing to do with Black Friday. Our G3 is based on very modern hardware, we don't have any plans to lower the prices. And to be honest, the products were calculated that tight that we simply can't give any discounts in the G3. So there's no Black Friday marketing move here. But I can understand that it looked like this for a few users.

The G3 recently got a little upgrade (more disk space, new Samsung NVMe SSDs, new CPU). The prices are intended to remain the same. What we are doing currently is an experiment with different prices. That's why we didn't release a news on our site yet, it will follow after the experiment has ended. We plan to run this "test" one week.

Best Regards,
    Tim

Thanks for the response.

We are still looking forward to Black Friday.

May we live in interesting times. :)

Thanked by 2dataforest kkrajk

PS: It's correct that we now offer 12 months contract period by default, this will possibly remain, the cause is simply that we have a disadvantage on the market if we show the higher prices (1 month contract period) on the overview page. Also some customers didn't get that we also offer lower prices for longer contract periods.

• @PHP_Friends said:
    PS: It's correct that we now offer 12 months contract period by default, this will possibly remain, the cause is simply that we have a disadvantage on the market if we show the higher prices (1 month contract period) on the overview page. Also some customers didn't get that we also offer lower prices for longer contract periods.

12 months works! Different folks have different opinions about longer term service agreements. For me, if the provider is reasonable, service is good, longer term takes away the hassle of renewing. The lower per month price is an added benefit.

All in all, looking forward to announcement of the new package(s)

• @PHP_Friends ok, I got it, will wait for the Black Friday offer you mentioned some days ago in another thread

Thanked by 1dataforest
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@PHP_Friends said:

Ugh..only 12 month terms.. anyway I guess if I were to commit to a project, that's fine. If it's just some testing Vultr/Hetzner. Good luck with the test. Some nice specs you got on the G3s :)

We still offer 1 month contract period, it's just now defaulting to 12 months. Or am I getting you wrong?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I hope you're not doing this.

• AvoroAvoro Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2019

We also have to say that energy, traffic and good (!) ddos protection is getting more expensive in germany. Even a well-known electricity provider has significantly increased its price in Frankfurt and this will be normal in the next years. Also our prices has been increased for energy in Frankfurt.

If you're going as Hoster with First Colo you will also have douple-paid traffic (normal + ddos traffic). So this is not comparable with netcup, climited (LOL :D), webtropia or some other providers/datacenters :)

One of our new hosts (Intel or AMD) costs round about 15-20k € per host. We all have to life from something and we can absolutely understand our colleagues from PHP-Friends for increase the prices for new hardware.

• @PHP_Friends said:
    Hi,

Best Regards,
    Tim

if this experiment doesn't even backfire!

• @PHP_Friends said:
    We still offer 1 month contract period, it's just now defaulting to 12 months. Or am I getting you wrong?

sure you do... 50% more expensive then some days ago and just 20gb more nvme space.

• Which providers offer storage within the PHP-Friends data centre or close to it?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@hyperblast They explained why they had a price increase either. So what are you exactly bitching about?

Thanked by 2dataforest Wolf
  • @angstrom said:
    Their non-promotional offers have never really been aimed at the low-end market, and this price hike makes this even more the case.

This is actually the point in case, I guess. At what low-end host would you get a 4x10Gbps uplink, 2 or more dedicated (as in 200%) Xeon Gold cores and Samsung high-end NVMe? This is not even a low-end product, I'd actually use this for production.

It's really their promotional offers that have been attractive to the low-end market.

This is also true. And their promotional offers are always based on the last generation. So that's why you get a G2 vServer for a lot less. The offers are incomparable.

• I did not compare G2 with G3. I compared G3 before 17th of november (old) with G3 after 17th of november (new). G3 old and G3 new are the same just 20gb more space with G3 new and now by default yearly term. monthy term offers have a price increased of 50%. that are the facts and no comparison offered by various.