Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for @key900 alone.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question for @key900 alone.

rchurchrchurch Member
edited October 2019 in General

Notice to other users: If you are not @key900 or you are not a customer who is willing to run the necessary tests on a number of Letbox's hosts just stay out if this thread, and thank you in advance.

@key900 we have being going back and forth on a simple matter which you can easily confirm.

This is what your ISO screen says.

Can you confirm if using this option with any ISO will wipe the partition information on the NVMe disk or not? Because this is what happens when an ISO is booted, even when it says rescue disk, or it is the rescue mode of on OS installation disk.

I want to confirm this because it happens even before any changes to the system are made, which is not what any user expects.

I have confirmed this on 3 separate host nodes.

These are the steps to take.

Warning: For any other customers who want to try these steps I suggest that any if you have valuable data on the NVMe disk, then you back it up first before testing the process.

Note that installing via a template either detaches the block storage devices, erases the data, or both. As far as I know the Letbox system doesn't offer a method of detaching the block storage or taking if offline, other than not mounting it if it is attached using the NVMe disk as the root system.

1. Install any operating system using a template. (you can do this with or without the block storage attached)
    Make a note of the partition table using fdisk -l, parted -l, or gparted using a screenshot, or other utilities like sfdisk or sgdisk. If you think you will need the data again the better back it up first.

2. Go into the Reinstall section of control panel and use the ISO option to install any ISO of your choice. After rebooting click on the noVNC option which you will show you the boot screen.
    a. If you are using a regular installation disc, there will probably be a rescue mode. See if that mode can locate a partition on the NVMe disk. If there is data on the block storage my experience is that it is detected. It is the NVMe I am concerned with.
    b. It will be better if you use System Rescue CD. You have parted, fdisk and gparted all present. These will give the option to detect whether the NVMe disk is present. parted -l and fdisk -l can be run immediately when you boot to the terminal.
    c. In order to use gparted you have to run startx to enter the graphics screen. There should be an icon for gparted on the task bar. This will give a graphical screen and from there you can choose the /dev/vda and see if the partition information is available.
    d. The graphics mode also has a terminal which is more convenient than the text mode screen. You can open the terminal and run parted, fdisk, sfdisk there as well and if you can get the network operational you can save the information elsewhere later for analysis.

As I mentioned earlier if you are not @key900 or a Letbox tech, or you are not a customer of Letbox who can and will run these tests just stay out of this thread, because if you do you are simply being a berk who is afraid that Letbox might wind up with egg on their faces. Letbox is run by grown ass men who can deal with their own issues. Don't make them out to be babies who need protection from big bad @rchurch.

The notice on the Reinstall screen says using the Reinstall option will erase the data. The point is I don't expect it to wipe any existing data unless I write changes to disk. All I'm asking is whether the NVMe data will be erased whether changes are made or not. Just leave them to answer or confirm it.

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota

Comments

This discussion has been closed.