Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

MailChannels Price Increase - Surprise!
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

MailChannels Price Increase - Surprise!

MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member
    edited October 10 in General

It seems MailChannels has increased their prices for new and existing customers.

...and nobody is talking about it. It came as a surprise when I came to know it from another place.

So, we are on a trend of price increases by key industry players? Surprised nobody is talking about it.

Have you received anything official from them? Does anyone have any news?

Is there any viable alternative to MailChannels, other than SE, that you can use with cPanel servers?

Comments

• RhysRhys Member, Provider

Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • Higher prices with less features...

LowEndStorage | FreeMach - Free KVM Servers (LET Thread)
      Yet Another Bench Script (YABS) - Linux Server Benchmarking Script (dd/ioping, iperf, & Geekbench)

• deankdeank Member

Smoke prices have been going up 3 or 4 times (25c each) every year in Canada for the past 10 years.

Bloody nobody is talking about it.

Amitz has passed. The end is truly nigh.

• JordJord Moderator, Provider

BaseServ Ltd - UK Shared DirectAdmin Hosting | Litespeed + Cloudlinux + Free Backups. BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001: 2013

• @MasonR said:
      Higher prices with less features...

That information helps I guess?

Thanks??

• imokimok Member

@MechanicWeb said:
      ...and nobody is talking about it

Nobody is interested in them anymore then.

• @deank said:
      Smoke prices have been going up 3 or 4 times (25c each) every year in Canada for the past 10 years.

You are drunk. Smoke is heavenly.

Everyone else are drunk, too.

@Rhys said:

@Jord said:

• tgltgl Member

I am glad that now people are talking about it.

• JordJord Moderator, Provider

@MechanicWeb said:

@deank said:

You are drunk. Smoke is heavenly.

Everyone else are drunk, too.

@Rhys said:

@Jord said:

I wish I was drunk.....

BaseServ Ltd - UK Shared DirectAdmin Hosting | Litespeed + Cloudlinux + Free Backups. BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001: 2013

• Is there any viable alternative to MailChannels, other than SE, that you can use with cPanel servers?

• jarjar Provider
      edited October 10

@MechanicWeb said:
      Is there any viable alternative to MailChannels, other than SE, that you can use with cPanel servers?

https://www.spamwall.com/outbound_filtering.html

It says there's a domain limit but that's not true, it's a total pass through like MailChannels. Small business from what I gather, good and generous people.

It's not gonna do the things MC used to do, but now that they don't do what made them great (forward to another IP when rejected due to blacklisting), I don't think they're even a viable solution to what they were.

I do the things that made MC great, but I'm not selling myself as a replacement for them.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member
      edited October 10

jar said: https://www.spamwall.com/outbound_filtering.html

It says there's a domain limit but that's not true, it's a total pass through like MailChannels.

Problem is, they will give you dedicated IP addresses, not like how MC sends emails using thousands of IP addresses?

And not sure about their integration into Exim/cPanel servers, I have heard bad word regarding integration.

• jarjar Provider

MechanicWeb said: Problem is, they will give you dedicated IP addresses, not like how MC sends emails using thousands of IP addresses?

Yeah, that would be the case. The IP rotation is still nice on MC and that I'm just not sure a viable alternative exists for tbh. Not within a reasonable price range.

If you want to do it in-house though, take a look at this MTA:

https://github.com/zone-eu/zone-mta

It'll rotate through the IPs you give it in config, and even handles blacklisted IPs automatically by pulling them from the pool for periods of time.

• experttechitexperttechit Member, Provider

what about using a mailchannels reseller or you could use spamexperts?

• @jar said:
      If you want to do it in-house though, take a look at this MTA:

https://github.com/zone-eu/zone-mta

It'll rotate through the IPs you give it in config, and even handles blacklisted IPs automatically by pulling them from the pool for periods of time.

Thanks.

That would be nice. But the whole point of using an outbound filter is to reduce the admin hours.

@experttechit said:
      what about using a mailchannels reseller or you could use spamexperts?

Do you know some of the resellers?

They might also need to increase their pricing.

• @ITLabs said:

I have already called some people drunk.

I give you the privilege of choosing a name. What do you want to be called?

• @MechanicWeb said:

@ITLabs said:

I have already called some people drunk.

I give you the privilege of choosing a name. What do you want to be called?

receivedfucks, tks.

• tgltgl Member

I am glad its now also on the news.

edited October 10

@MechanicWeb check out https://mailchannels.naranjatec.com/
      i think it is run by @gleert but i could be wrong. I think their pricing may have gone up.... Mailchannels is a crazy figure now..... i'll be following... :smile:

now where is that mx route option....

• MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

@experttechit said:
      @MechanicWeb check out https://mailchannels.naranjatec.com/
      i think it is run by @gleert but i could be wrong. I think their pricing may have gone up.... Mailchannels is a crazy figure now..... i'll be following... :smile: .

In regards to the price increase, do open a ticket and our staff will see what we can do. 👍

i'm thinking just selling office 365 mailboxes for email and then use DA for cloud hosting.

• @experttechit said:
      i think it is run by @gleert but i could be wrong. I think their pricing may have gone up.... Mailchannels is a crazy figure now..... i'll be following... :smile:

now where is that mx route option....

I know them :D Is there any other you know?

@experttechit said:
      i'm thinking just selling office 365 mailboxes for email and then use DA for cloud hosting.

Good for you. The way things are heading, it is scary. The industry is having major shifts.

We decided to wait on DA. We will give them some more time and then give another try.

• MikePT said: In regards to the price increase, do open a ticket and our staff will see what we can do.

Hi Mike!

How are you? Are you busy?

Thanked by 1MikePT
    • @tgl said:
      I am glad its now also on the news.

You mean you are glad because people are sad?

• Ken here - I'm the CEO of MailChannels. I'd like to clear up a few things.

First, we did change prices for a small number of existing customers who had been using plans inherited from MXroute.io - an older reseller whom we acquired in 2018. These customers have been given an opportunity to keep the same price by committing to a year of service and many have done so.

Second, our pricing for new customers has changed modestly. Our Starter plan is now $69.99 per month (up from $59.99 per month) and our Lite Plan is now $149.99 up from $124.99.

Third, the thread on hostballs.com does not confirm that any feature has been cut from our service. From time to time, our blacklist avoidance feature miscategorizes an SMTP response, causing email to be rejected instead of re-routed. We correct failures like this when we become aware of them. Our support team seems to have given a misleading response in the thread quoted. I'll make sure that gets fixed.

• mc_ksimpson said: Ken here - I'm the CEO of MailChannels. I'd like to clear up a few things.

First, we did change prices for a small number of existing customers who had been using plans inherited from MXroute.io - an older reseller whom we acquired in 2018. These customers have been given an opportunity to keep the same price by committing to a year of service and many have done so.

That seems nice. I was wondering why you would change prices of a handful of existing customers

Second, our pricing for new customers has changed modestly. Our Starter plan is now $69.99 per month (up from $59.99 per month) and our Lite Plan is now $149.99 up from $124.99.

Your starter plan was $49 before. Now it is $69. Almost a 50% price increase.

What features clients will get from this price increase, or is it due to your own operational policy?

Third, the thread on hostballs.com does not confirm that any feature has been cut from our service. From time to time, our blacklist avoidance feature miscategorizes an SMTP response, causing email to be rejected instead of re-routed. We correct failures like this when we become aware of them. Our support team seems to have given a misleading response in the thread quoted. I'll make sure that gets fixed.

Thank you for clarifying that, too.

• jarjar Provider

mc_ksimpson said: Third, the thread on hostballs.com does not confirm that any feature has been cut from our service. From time to time, our blacklist avoidance feature miscategorizes an SMTP response, causing email to be rejected instead of re-routed. We correct failures like this when we become aware of them. Our support team seems to have given a misleading response in the thread quoted. I'll make sure that gets fixed.

I'll be glad to update the post but I asked for escalation and confirmation, I only continually received "Send better emails" (paraphrased).

Thanked by 1MikePT
    • @jar said:

I do the things that made MC great, but I'm not selling myself as a replacement for them.

Using MXroute now - it's good, while I've used MailChannels as a hosting client - had more luck than with SpamExperts, but didn't use either of those latter two for very long.

If my understanding is correct, MXroute is good to work on "per customer level", that is, shared/reseller hosting customers can get it by and for themselves to take care of their emails, while hosting providers, who wish to offer emails along with the hosting itself, need solutions like MailChannels and SpamExperts to keep the IP's clean (and protect the customers from inbound spam emails).

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
      edited October 11

@MechanicWeb said:
      It seems MailChannels has increased their prices for new and existing customers.

...and nobody is talking about it. It came as a surprise when I came to know it from another place.

So, we are on a trend of price increases by key industry players? Surprised nobody is talking about it.

Have you received anything official from them? Does anyone have any news?

Two things to consider:

1)
      What is the average yearly inflation rate in $ and euros?
      Did the prices stay put for years, decade, or get changed every year?

2)
      If you make a known brand with good reputation for good quality service, it makes perfect sense to start earning more for the same work/capital invested. It's marketing's job to make the customers believe they're still getting a good value for the money. That's why Nike's don't cost 10$ and people are still buying them.

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

jar said: I'll be glad to update the post but I asked for escalation and confirmation, I only continually received "Send better emails" (paraphrased).

PM me the ticket ID, I'll have that escalated properly :)

Thanked by 1jar
    • bikegremlin said: Two things to consider:

1)

Upping prices based on inflation is fantasy.

• SpamWall has a product SafeRoute that works ok but only has a single dedicated IP. I told them that was an issue when I finished my test last week and they came back and said they just added additional dedicated IP's for each service level for all their services and delivery was randomized amongst the IP's so its an alternative to MailChannels worth checking out. Free 30 day trial which I used to test their service.

Thanked by 2cazrz MechanicWeb
    • @MechanicWeb said:

bikegremlin said: Two things to consider:

1)

Upping prices based on inflation is fantasy.

Fair enough (even though I rarely see the prices of goods and services I use to not be on the rise from year to year). Still:

If you provide a service that is of good quality and widely used (both those conditions fulfilled), it can be said you've created a brand. That gives you options to keep the prices and (perhaps) get more and more customers (up to a point), as well as an option to rise the prices - which, depending on the amount of price increase and how you market it, in the best case scenario, keeps you the rising number of clients, plus increases your brand's reputation as "top/premium etc." and leaves you with more funds for development in order to stay ahead of the competition.

If you market and execute the price rise poorly, it can end disastrously, of course.

It's a normal thing. I'd even argue that not rising prices can (depending on the service/goods/situation) have detrimental effect for both the providing company and its clients (so can a price rise, which is more obvious, but it too depends on the situation).

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• jarjar Provider

mc_ksimpson said: Third, the thread on hostballs.com does not confirm that any feature has been cut from our service. From time to time, our blacklist avoidance feature miscategorizes an SMTP response, causing email to be rejected instead of re-routed. We correct failures like this when we become aware of them. Our support team seems to have given a misleading response in the thread quoted. I'll make sure that gets fixed.

Confirmed resolved:

Hi Jarland,

Our system normally routes around addresses being temp blocked and should have caught that this IP was listed and removed it from service so that we could purge the bad players and repair the reputation. When we hit an IP response such as yours the action is to requeue which failed in this case. We are constantly making small adjustments to combat abuse and appear to have missed this condition in our logic.

This does not happen frequently and we apologize for the IP block based upon another sender's behavior. This should never have impacted your messages and we have adjusted our filters to help ensure that we don't miss similar events in the future.

Thank you for the report that helped us correct this behavior and we appreciate your patience and business!
      Regards,
      Swathi Karun
      MailChannels Support

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member
      edited October 11

webguyz said: SpamWall has a product SafeRoute that works ok but only has a single dedicated IP. I told them that was an issue when I finished my test last week and they came back and said they just added additional dedicated IP's for each service level for all their services and delivery was randomized amongst the IP's so its an alternative to MailChannels worth checking out. Free 30 day trial which I used to test their service.

It seems they have domain and Email Users limit. How do those work out? Those are pretty limiting and ramp up your cost more than MC if applied to a shared hosting server.

For example, if you offer unlimited addon domains with your web hosting packages, you could easily end up more than 1,000 domains on a shared hosting server with only 200 accounts.

How many domains/email users you had on your test system?

@jar You said though there is a domain limit, it doesn't actually apply the limits. How many domains you had on your test system and when did you perform your test?

Additionally, do you have any update on your own SMTP Relay?

• jarjar Provider

MechanicWeb said: You said though there is a domain limit, it doesn't actually apply the limits. How many domains you had on your test system and when did you performed your test.

No less than 10,000 last time I tested.

• jarjar Provider

MechanicWeb said: Additionally, do you have any update on your own SMTP Relay?

Missed that sorry. My biggest hurdles with relaying right now are these:

1. Even though I’m running a ton of IPs right now, it’s not enough to sustain the kind of allocations that are sold elsewhere for a reasonable cost, because I have higher standards than just “a dedicated IP.” I want my standards and affordability, and I’m sure I’ll make it work eventually.

2. Most of my handling of compromised accounts is currently managed on the sending server rather than the relays. With the way things are right now, if I didn’t have access to the sending server to halt it, I’d either have to turn off an entire relay account or IP reputation would tank.

• jar said: No less than 10,000 last time I tested.

Wow! That's impressive!

Do they intentionally allow the domains or is it a bug to their system?

jar said: Missed that sorry. My biggest hurdles with relaying right now are these:

Even though I’m running a ton of IPs right now, it’s not enough to sustain the kind of allocations that are sold elsewhere for a reasonable cost, because I have higher standards than just “a dedicated IP.” I want my standards and affordability, and I’m sure I’ll make it work eventually.

I think providers wouldn't mind if you charge something close to SE/MC. It is not really is an end user service. But of course, you have your plan.

Most of my handling of compromised accounts is currently managed on the sending server rather than the relays. With the way things are right now, if I didn’t have access to the sending server to halt it, I’d either have to turn off an entire relay account or IP reputation would tank.

I think if you could just block the offending domain on the relay, it would be more helpful than what MC is doing now. MC blocks the message even though a single domain sends many spam messages.

• jarjar Provider

MechanicWeb said: Do they intentionally allow the domains or is it a bug to their system?

I talked to them about it, they said it was fine and the number was just kind of a guide (recommended number).

Thanked by 1MechanicWeb
    • @deank said:

Do you even live in Canada? There's less smokers so less bitching overall, but if you still buy smokes, there's no less bitching. Petro can did two small price increases in last year. Are you expecting non-smokers to bitch? If so, adjust your expectations.

• tgltgl Member

No longer a surprise thanks to this thread.

• MailChannels is now €125/y from Naranjatech (gleert). Cheaper than what Mailchannels themself offers, but still pretty expensive considering other email providers charges way less (I know MC is targeting a different market, but I'm talking about end user's perspective). And their email deliverability was usable, but I won't say its great.

I had better luck getting my emails to inbox using MXroute, Postmark, and SES. And I actually got better results using my own mta (zonemta + multiple IPs). MailChannels' verification mail went to spam on my GMail, so.

Mailchannels is wey better than just your web hosting provider's servers, but I don't think their service justifies the price, especially for normal users like me.

Thanked by 2hostdare dedicados
    • corefluxcoreflux Member
      edited October 14

+1 ElasticEmail for their lowest rate on PAYG plan.

[ HOSTDOC ] / [ HETZNER ] / [ HOSTHATCH ] / [ INIZ ] / [ WEBSOUND ]

• jarjar Provider
      edited October 14

Hi again Jarland!
      The new SpamWall SafeRoute outbound email filtering and relay system
      for mxroute.com is now online and ready for service.

There have been a few changes with the service since you signed up for
      a system previously.

New features include multiple random sending IP address support whereby
      the outbound SafeRoute systems can now be allocated with multiple
      sending IP addresses depending on the system model. The main system IP
      address is used for both web interface control panel login and
      management of the system as well as for relay along with the other
      allocated IP addresses which the system will send from on a random
      rotating basis.

The second significant feature is an automatic resend feature for
      messages which have been rejected due to blacklisting. Messages rejected
      in this manner by a destination mail server or system will be requeued
      on the system and retried on a random rotating basis by one of the other
      available IP addresses every 3 minutes until successfully delivered or
      expired from the queue (the usual default for this being 5 days, a
      setting which is adjustable up or down via the control panel)

This is the one. Remember they don't limit by domains, it's a suggested value based on the provided product and the expected average volume.

Thanked by 2ITLabs MechanicWeb
    • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider

TimboJones said: Do you even live in Canada? There's less smokers so less bitching overall,

But probably more smokers than mailchannels users right? haha

Had enough of the scams on lowendbox, lowendtalk is now being infiltrated by corruption so I have chosen to make an low end exit #lexit for now - you can find me HERE

edited October 15

I am pretty much done with mandrillapp/mailchimp found out a few days ago their IP's are being popped by spamhaus at a rate of knots and they are continuing to send via popped IP's anyway.

Rejected emails of being marked as confirmed and delivered in their panel anyway despite clear RBL based rejection.

I did open a ticket and they wrote a literal book back about how email works that was clearly a crafted catch all message that attempts to answer every possible ticket they have ever had without having to be specific about anything.

So I am looking for a new -/+ $30 p/month service now I think, I don't even mind so much if mail is not 110% delivered, I just want some transparency so I know why when it is not.

Someone suggested amazon SES, any other suggestions, about 10 - 15k /month sent?

Had enough of the scams on lowendbox, lowendtalk is now being infiltrated by corruption so I have chosen to make an low end exit #lexit for now - you can find me HERE

• @AnthonySmith said:
      I am pretty much done with mandrillapp/mailchimp found out a few days ago their IP's are being popped by spamhaus at a rate of knots and they are continuing to send via popped IP's anyway.

Rejected emails of being marked as confirmed and delivered in their panel anyway despite clear RBL based rejection.

So I am looking for a new -/+ $30 p/month service now I think, I don't even mind so much if mail is not 110% delivered, I just want some transparency so I know why when it is not.

Someone suggested amazon SES, any other suggestions, about 10 - 15k /month sent?

MXroute is awesome, and 10-15K emails equals around 300-500 emails/day which should be under the limit, and i don't think @jar would mind as long as you're sending it under the rules (double opt-in).

I am actually playing with my own relay with a VPS with several IPs and ZoneMTA, and ZMTA is really awesome. It has ability to re-send bounced mail from different IPs (only when bounced due to RBL), and automatically spread out mails through different IPs. And since you have the infrastructure, it won't cost much either.

Thanked by 2ITLabs coreflux

sanvit said: I am actually playing with my own relay with a VPS with several IPs and ZoneMTA, and ZMTA is really awesome. It has ability to re-send bounced mail from different IPs (only when bounced due to RBL), and automatically spread out mails through different IPs. And since you have the infrastructure, it won't cost much either.

That is how I did it before using mandrillapp years ago but at scale I just don't have the luxury of time to maintain it.

• M66BM66B Member

@AnthonySmith said:

I did open a ticket and they wrote a literal book back about how email works that was clearly a crafted catch all message that attempts to answer every possible ticket they have ever had without having to be specific about anything.

I have tried a series of transactional email providers, like Sendgrid, Mandrill, Sparkpost and Sendinblue and my advice is to do yourself a pleasure by using Amazon SES. I am assuming you are sending real transaction opted-in emails.