Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MailChannels Price Increase - Surprise!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MailChannels Price Increase - Surprise!

MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
edited October 2019 in General

It seems MailChannels has increased their prices for new and existing customers.

...and nobody is talking about it. It came as a surprise when I came to know it from another place.

So, we are on a trend of price increases by key industry players? Surprised nobody is talking about it.

Have you received anything official from them? Does anyone have any news?

Is there any viable alternative to MailChannels, other than SE, that you can use with cPanel servers?

Comments

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

Thanked by 1receivedthanks
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Higher prices with less features...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Smoke prices have been going up 3 or 4 times (25c each) every year in Canada for the past 10 years.

Bloody nobody is talking about it.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@MasonR said:
    Higher prices with less features...

That information helps I guess?

Thanks??

• @MechanicWeb said:
    ...and nobody is talking about it

Nobody is interested in them anymore then.

@deank said:
    Smoke prices have been going up 3 or 4 times (25c each) every year in Canada for the past 10 years.

You are drunk. Smoke is heavenly.

Everyone else are drunk, too.

@Rhys said:

@Jord said:

• tgltgl Member

I am glad that now people are talking about it.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:

@deank said:

You are drunk. Smoke is heavenly.

Everyone else are drunk, too.

@Rhys said:

@Jord said:

I wish I was drunk.....

Is there any viable alternative to MailChannels, other than SE, that you can use with cPanel servers?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2019

@MechanicWeb said:

https://www.spamwall.com/outbound_filtering.html

It says there's a domain limit but that's not true, it's a total pass through like MailChannels. Small business from what I gather, good and generous people.

It's not gonna do the things MC used to do, but now that they don't do what made them great (forward to another IP when rejected due to blacklisting), I don't think they're even a viable solution to what they were.

I do the things that made MC great, but I'm not selling myself as a replacement for them.

edited October 2019

jar said: https://www.spamwall.com/outbound_filtering.html

It says there's a domain limit but that's not true, it's a total pass through like MailChannels.

Problem is, they will give you dedicated IP addresses, not like how MC sends emails using thousands of IP addresses?

And not sure about their integration into Exim/cPanel servers, I have heard bad word regarding integration.

MechanicWeb said: Problem is, they will give you dedicated IP addresses, not like how MC sends emails using thousands of IP addresses?

Yeah, that would be the case. The IP rotation is still nice on MC and that I'm just not sure a viable alternative exists for tbh. Not within a reasonable price range.

If you want to do it in-house though, take a look at this MTA:

https://github.com/zone-eu/zone-mta

It'll rotate through the IPs you give it in config, and even handles blacklisted IPs automatically by pulling them from the pool for periods of time.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

what about using a mailchannels reseller or you could use spamexperts?

• @MechanicWeb said:
    Does anyone have any news?

@jar said:
    If you want to do it in-house though, take a look at this MTA:

https://github.com/zone-eu/zone-mta

It'll rotate through the IPs you give it in config, and even handles blacklisted IPs automatically by pulling them from the pool for periods of time.

Thanks.

That would be nice. But the whole point of using an outbound filter is to reduce the admin hours.

@experttechit said:
    what about using a mailchannels reseller or you could use spamexperts?

Do you know some of the resellers?

They might also need to increase their pricing.

@ITLabs said:

I have already called some people drunk.

I give you the privilege of choosing a name. What do you want to be called?

• @MechanicWeb said:

@ITLabs said:

I have already called some people drunk.

I give you the privilege of choosing a name. What do you want to be called?

receivedfucks, tks.

• tgltgl Member

I am glad its now also on the news.

edited October 2019

@MechanicWeb check out https://mailchannels.naranjatec.com/
    i think it is run by @gleert but i could be wrong. I think their pricing may have gone up.... Mailchannels is a crazy figure now..... i'll be following... :smile:

now where is that mx route option....

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@experttechit said:
    @MechanicWeb check out https://mailchannels.naranjatec.com/
    i think it is run by @gleert but i could be wrong. I think their pricing may have gone up.... Mailchannels is a crazy figure now..... i'll be following... :smile: .

In regards to the price increase, do open a ticket and our staff will see what we can do. 👍

i'm thinking just selling office 365 mailboxes for email and then use DA for cloud hosting.

@experttechit said:
    i think it is run by @gleert but i could be wrong. I think their pricing may have gone up.... Mailchannels is a crazy figure now..... i'll be following... :smile:

now where is that mx route option....

I know them :D Is there any other you know?

@experttechit said:
    i'm thinking just selling office 365 mailboxes for email and then use DA for cloud hosting.

Good for you. The way things are heading, it is scary. The industry is having major shifts.

We decided to wait on DA. We will give them some more time and then give another try.

MikePT said: In regards to the price increase, do open a ticket and our staff will see what we can do.

Hi Mike!

How are you? Are you busy?

Thanked by 1MikePT

@tgl said:
    I am glad its now also on the news.

You mean you are glad because people are sad?

• Ken here - I'm the CEO of MailChannels. I'd like to clear up a few things.

First, we did change prices for a small number of existing customers who had been using plans inherited from MXroute.io - an older reseller whom we acquired in 2018. These customers have been given an opportunity to keep the same price by committing to a year of service and many have done so.

Second, our pricing for new customers has changed modestly. Our Starter plan is now $69.99 per month (up from $59.99 per month) and our Lite Plan is now $149.99 up from $124.99.

Third, the thread on hostballs.com does not confirm that any feature has been cut from our service. From time to time, our blacklist avoidance feature miscategorizes an SMTP response, causing email to be rejected instead of re-routed. We correct failures like this when we become aware of them. Our support team seems to have given a misleading response in the thread quoted. I'll make sure that gets fixed.

mc_ksimpson said: Ken here - I'm the CEO of MailChannels. I'd like to clear up a few things.

First, we did change prices for a small number of existing customers who had been using plans inherited from MXroute.io - an older reseller whom we acquired in 2018. These customers have been given an opportunity to keep the same price by committing to a year of service and many have done so.

That seems nice. I was wondering why you would change prices of a handful of existing customers

Second, our pricing for new customers has changed modestly. Our Starter plan is now $69.99 per month (up from $59.99 per month) and our Lite Plan is now $149.99 up from $124.99.

Your starter plan was $49 before. Now it is $69. Almost a 50% price increase.

What features clients will get from this price increase, or is it due to your own operational policy?

Third, the thread on hostballs.com does not confirm that any feature has been cut from our service. From time to time, our blacklist avoidance feature miscategorizes an SMTP response, causing email to be rejected instead of re-routed. We correct failures like this when we become aware of them. Our support team seems to have given a misleading response in the thread quoted. I'll make sure that gets fixed.

Thank you for clarifying that, too.

mc_ksimpson said: Third, the thread on hostballs.com does not confirm that any feature has been cut from our service. From time to time, our blacklist avoidance feature miscategorizes an SMTP response, causing email to be rejected instead of re-routed. We correct failures like this when we become aware of them. Our support team seems to have given a misleading response in the thread quoted. I'll make sure that gets fixed.

I'll be glad to update the post but I asked for escalation and confirmation, I only continually received "Send better emails" (paraphrased).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @jar said:

I do the things that made MC great, but I'm not selling myself as a replacement for them.

Using MXroute now - it's good, while I've used MailChannels as a hosting client - had more luck than with SpamExperts, but didn't use either of those latter two for very long.

If my understanding is correct, MXroute is good to work on "per customer level", that is, shared/reseller hosting customers can get it by and for themselves to take care of their emails, while hosting providers, who wish to offer emails along with the hosting itself, need solutions like MailChannels and SpamExperts to keep the IP's clean (and protect the customers from inbound spam emails).

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited October 2019

@MechanicWeb said:
    It seems MailChannels has increased their prices for new and existing customers.

...and nobody is talking about it. It came as a surprise when I came to know it from another place.

So, we are on a trend of price increases by key industry players? Surprised nobody is talking about it.

Have you received anything official from them? Does anyone have any news?

Two things to consider:

1)
    What is the average yearly inflation rate in $ and euros?
    Did the prices stay put for years, decade, or get changed every year?

2)
    If you make a known brand with good reputation for good quality service, it makes perfect sense to start earning more for the same work/capital invested. It's marketing's job to make the customers believe they're still getting a good value for the money. That's why Nike's don't cost 10$ and people are still buying them.