Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode Openstack Cloud Launched
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode Openstack Cloud Launched

HI GUYS,

I NOTICED THAT RAMNODE LAUNCHED THEIR OPENSTACK CLOUD AND THERE HAS NOT BEEN ANY ANNOUNCEMENT OR DISCUSSION.

I PUT $3 DOWN AND GOT A PREMIUM 512MB CLOUD SERVER IN NYC ON AN AMD EPYC SERVER AND PERFORMANCE IS GREAT.

PLEASE DISCUSS.

SINCERELY,

JOE MERIT

Thanked by 3Nick_A uptime vimalware

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

THE END IS NIGH.

SINCERELY,

DEANK

• LeeLee Veteran

Oh, you only just found out? Cute.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@JoeMerit said:
    HI GUYS,

I NOTICED THAT RAMNODE LAUNCHED THEIR OPENSTACK CLOUD AND THERE HAS NOT BEEN ANY ANNOUNCEMENT OR DISCUSSION.

I PUT $3 DOWN AND GOT A PREMIUM 512MB CLOUD SERVER IN NYC ON AN AMD EPYC SERVER AND PERFORMANCE IS GREAT.

PLEASE DISCUSS.

SINCERELY,

JOE MERIT

Hello Joe,

Seems wonderful, thanks. But, is your caps lock broken?

Sincerely,
    Pigeon

• AmitzAmitz Member

INCREDIBLE!

Thanked by 2Nick_A Ympker
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@Lee said:
    Oh, you only just found out? Cute.

It was released July 17th, 4 days ago.

https://clientarea.ramnode.com/announcements/426/OpenStack-Cloud-Now-Available.html

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

You are paying $3/m for a 512MB VPS? Can I talk to you about our E5-2670+ based VPS line, starting at $17.50/yr for 512MB?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • sandozsandoz Veteran

Out of stock @IonSwitch_Stan

• AmitzAmitz Member

@IonSwitch_Stan said:
    You are paying $3/m for a 512MB VPS? Can I talk to you about our E5-2670+ based VPS line, starting at $17.50/yr for 512MB?

Nah. He is paying $3/m for a 512 MB VPS from Ramnode. Same same, but different.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

E5-2670 =/= EPYC

• LeeLee Veteran

IonSwitch_Stan said: You are paying $3/m for a 512MB VPS? Can I talk to you about our E5-2670+ based VPS line, starting at $17.50/yr for 512MB?

Whoever you are you are not Ramnode.

Thanked by 2Nick_A seriesn
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

32 nm CPU =/= 7nm CPU

A whole world of difference.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Nick_A - take a bow, been a long time coming.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • varunchopravarunchopra Member
    edited July 2019

Not sure why more providers don't move to OpenStack.

@AnthonySmith @Francisco Thoughts?

• williewillie Member

Looks like a good start, but still a bit beta-ish. I had to order a cloud account ($0.00) through the shopping cart of my existing account. Then they emailed me access credentials for the cloud control panel, which is fleieo and is very limited. To upload an ssh pubkey I had to enable my browser referer header to satisfy their JS bloat. Other than that it looks good. $5/1GB instance is similar to linode etc. but you get 2 cores (speed not known). And they have a 512MB/1 core for $3 which linode etc. don't have. IonSwitch_Stan if you offer hourly instances at similar prices, let us know. If monthly-only then meh.

• fleiofleio Member

@willie said:
    To upload an ssh pubkey I had to enable my browser referer header to satisfy their JS bloat.

That's funny. I've just uploaded a key on Ramnode's panel from Chrome on Android and had no issues.

Can you tell me what was the error and what browser did you use?

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • williewillie Member

Firefox 68, error was that referer header was missing so they couldn't do their XSRF check.

Thanked by 1fleio
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks Joe and everyone else.

@Lee said:
    @Nick_A - take a bow, been a long time coming.

Thanks! Lots of work to do still, but glad it's finally up and running.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • imokimok Member

Fleio is being mentioned more and more. Congrats.

Thanked by 1fleio
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@varunchopra said:

I'll keep it short but, not a fan of it.

Heavy, lots of things that can break.

I can't remember if it was CloudStack or OpenStack that Maounique said they had a multi hour outage over because it started kicking back retarded errors messages.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Reminds me of Proxmox HA, it took a shit after a while, including killing the entire cluster with it.

Still, a dedi with a single drive, has archived the best uptime yet.
    People make things to complex, it adds up more points where it can break and it will.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@varunchopra said:

Easier said than done, basically. We spent a lot of time/money developing our own integration of OpenStack + WHMCS in-house and essentially trashed it to go with Fleio in the end. OpenStack itself is a beast, and until now, there wasn't a good way to integrate it with an existing billing system. Once we saw that Fleio had been building a better version of what we were working on, it made sense for us to let them handle the integration so we can focus on maintaining the system itself.

I should mention that Adrian and his team have been great to work. They have spent the last 8-9 months customizing and adding features to Fleio so that it would work well for our needs. Still a lot to be done, but I think we're at a good place right now.

Francisco said: Heavy, lots of things that can break.

Definitely true. Countless hours dealing with bugs, unexpected results, poor documentation, having to create our own patches, etc, to get to this point. The system is very nice when working properly, but it's more than a little intimidating having to deal with so many pieces.

• @willie said:
    Firefox 68, error was that referer header was missing so they couldn't do their XSRF check.

Hello, @willie

I tested with Firefox 68.0.1 and couldn't reproduce this. Can you tell me if you're using 68.0 (which seems to be the beta version)? Also, can you tell me if this issue reproduces with all the extensions disabled?

• williewillie Member

@marianFleio yes I had an upgrade to 68.0.1 a day or two ago it appears. Did you turn off referers when you did your test? Go to about:config and set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 0.

• fleiofleio Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    @marianFleio yes I had an upgrade to 68.0.1 a day or two ago it appears. Did you turn off referers when you did your test? Go to about:config and set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 0.

If you set network.http.sendRefererHeader to 0 Fleio cannot function properly.

And actually no Django web application that is using CSRF protection can function:
    https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.2/ref/csrf/

And setting network.http.sendRefererHeader to 0 is actually less secure for you, here's an explanation:

https://security.stackexchange.com/a/135655

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • marianFleiomarianFleio Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:

I had the default browser settings. With refereres disabled I am also receiving the CSRF error.

I'm afraid that in order to use all the Fleio features (and to ensure security) you must use the default settings for network.http.sendRefererHeader, which is network.http.sendRefererHeader = 2
    (Send the Referer header when clicking on a link or loading an image, and set document.referrer for the following page. (Default))

LE: @fleio already answered to this :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@Francisco said:

@varunchopra said:

I'll keep it short but, not a fan of it.

Heavy, lots of things that can break.

I can't remember if it was CloudStack or OpenStack that Maounique said they had a multi hour outage over because it started kicking back retarded errors messages.

Francisco

That moment when you start to feel old :) I was here in LET when that was written I also do not remmeber it concretely but it was maybe something about the orchestrer decide that (all / alot) VMs are down and start doing mass restarts ....

• @Nick_A said:

@varunchopra said:

Easier said than done, basically. We spent a lot of time/money developing our own integration of OpenStack + WHMCS in-house and essentially trashed it to go with Fleio in the end. OpenStack itself is a beast, and until now, there wasn't a good way to integrate it with an existing billing system. Once we saw that Fleio had been building a better version of what we were working on, it made sense for us to let them handle the integration so we can focus on maintaining the system itself.

I should mention that Adrian and his team have been great to work. They have spent the last 8-9 months customizing and adding features to Fleio so that it would work well for our needs. Still a lot to be done, but I think we're at a good place right now.

Francisco said: Heavy, lots of things that can break.

Definitely true. Countless hours dealing with bugs, unexpected results, poor documentation, having to create our own patches, etc, to get to this point. The system is very nice when working properly, but it's more than a little intimidating having to deal with so many pieces.

I'm a big fan of you - you are the fastest growing non VC funded provider that I ever saw :), and my first international hosting location was on your VPS (before I overgrow it) as I like to take small steps and to move Servers,/VMs faster to the profit zone... (maybe thats my mistake but that's me)

Just looking on the price of the billing and thinking how only Couple of EPYC servers will hit cpu limit and you will need a second license and then more... I wonder why not Proxmox HA + Ceph and Modules Garden Modules for Cloud and VPS (maybe the open source so they can be custom fitted) to me they look as the most viable option for a provider get into that market ...

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

JoeMerit said: RAMNODE

Who?

Oh RamNode...yeah, I vaguely remember them. Are they still around?

As I recall, they had their noses too high in the air to post offers among us commoners here on LET.

Last LET offer: October 2015.

• LeeLee Veteran

raindog308 said: As I recall, they had their noses too high in the air to post offers among us commoners here on LET.

Not much of a memory.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • donlidonli Member

@raindog308 said:

JoeMerit said: RAMNODE

Who?

Oh RamNode...yeah, I vaguely remember them. Are they still around?

As I recall, they had their noses too high in the air to post offers among us commoners here on LET.

I do recall a coupon once posted - I think it was 5% off maybe.