Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMantis - Important Announcement Regarding Recent cPanel Price Increase
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMantis - Important Announcement Regarding Recent cPanel Price Increase

aaronstuderaaronstuder Member
edited July 2019 in General

Just got this email from HostMantis:

Hello,

This is a notification to explain an important change in our services offering.

Due to a recent, sudden and quite extreme increase in pricing from our control panel software vendor (cPanel) and after much consideration on our end, we have had no choice but to change our reseller account offering accordingly as well as our general service offering and promotions.

Why does this affect me?

The following is an example of the cPanel cost increase (Note: This is a hosts cost per dedicated server for a cPanel license) we have incurred:

The previous cPanel license cost per dedicated server:

$45/month per server for unlimited cPanel accounts on a server.

Which allowed us to resell as many cPanel accounts per server we could responsibly add to a server.

The new cPanel licensing cost per dedicated server:

$45/month per server for 100 cPanel accounts + $0.20 per additional cPanel account on the server.

The new cost drastically reduces the amount of cPanel accounts a host can add to a server and remain cost effective. Typically, the more accounts a host could host, the more profitable. That is no longer the case with the new pricing. Note: The total amount of cPanel accounts per server also includes accounts created by resellers, so the total amount of accounts can get high very quickly.

What is changing?:

The price of our reseller accounts will remain the same, but the default amount of cPanel accounts a reseller account can create will now be reduced to the following:

Reseller Entry – 10 cPanel accounts
Reseller Starter – 20 cPanel accounts
Reseller Advanced – 30 cPanel accounts
Reseller Expert – 50 cPanel accounts

Resellers will have the opportunity to purchase additional cPanel account credits for their reseller account at the following rates:

$2/month - 10 Additional cPanel account credits
$10/month - 50 Additional cPanel account credits
$20/month - 100 Additional cPanel account credits

This change will be effective immediately for new and current reseller plans/accounts.

In the coming days, we will be performing an audit on reseller accounts and calculating the amount of sub-accounts owned by a reseller and adjusting/updating account billing accordingly. At which time, resellers will be invoiced for cPanel account credits for any cPanel accounts over their assigned plan limit.

Resellers will have the opportunity to terminate any unused or suspended accounts in order to decrease the amount of sub-accounts owned by their reseller account.

What about promotional codes?

Unfortunately, any/all promotional codes that were used prior to this change will only be honored until the end of their current billing cycle at their current rate. At the end of your accounts current billing cycle, the recurring rate will then be at 25% off.

Going forward, all promotional codes we release will be more inline with the new pricing structure, but still offer an extremely competitive discount.

We realize this change for some may be cost prohibitive and we sincerely apologize, but at cPanel’s new rates, it would be a death sentence for our company to continue with our services as-is. With the new structure, it ensures we can continue to offer cPanel as our main web hosting control panel and provide the same reliable service to our clients, while still offer very competitive rates.

Additionally, we are currently testing DirectAdmin (another control panel not quite as feature rich as cPanel) as a possible cheaper alternative for resellers. We do not currently have an ETA, but if we do decide to go forward with DirectAdmin as an additional alternative, we will send out a notification once that service option is ready and available.

We also feel we cannot make this change without giving something back, so we are happy to announce 2 new features:

1. Remote SSH access

We are now allowing remote SSH access on all our Linux/cPanel hosting plans as a bonus!

For more info on remote SSH access:

https://my.hostmantis.com/knowledgebase/281/Does-HostMantis-allow-SSH-access.html

2. Reseller Limits

Instead of resellers sub-accounts receiving the default system resource amount (The default is the same as our Entry plans system resource limit), resellers will now have the option to use Reseller Limits instead to set/modify their own client accounts system resources (CPU/RAM/Entry Processes/IO, etc.). Your overall reseller system resource limit will then be shared with your client accounts and you choose the specific system resources to use for each account.

For more info on Reseller Limits:

https://my.hostmantis.com/knowledgebase/282/Reseller-Limits.html

In closing, we would like to take a moment to sincerely thank our clients for their patience and understanding regarding this change. We would also like to thank those that have stuck with us all these years through the good and bad and those that plan to continue to do so.

We know many clients will still have questions or even be confused by this change, so please contact us if you have any questions!

Thanked by 2donli Ympker

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end (of something) is nigh.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Those reseller nodes are going to be nice and roomy come Black Friday when all those renewals hit with only a 25% discount on retail...

• aaronstuder said: What about promotional codes?

Unfortunately, any/all promotional codes that were used prior to this change will only be honored until the end of their current billing cycle at their current rate. At the end of your accounts current billing cycle, the recurring rate will then be at 25% off.

I asked support/sales if promos will be discontinued for shared accounts as well... the majority of the email talks about reseller accounts.

If not, I only have 34 months to look for another deal.

• LeeLee Veteran

At least we are starting to see more providers making announcements, nobody is immune I would expect to see more of these but maybe some don't even have close to 100 accounts so are not bothering too much.

• FootKaputFootKaput Member
    edited July 2019
    Hello,
    All accounts are affected as far as promo code usage. Upon renewal, any promotional codes previous to the change will now be at 25% regardless of the previous amount.
    If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Thank you,
    HostMantis Sales
    [email protected]

I'm definitely getting my money's worth from the deal I have, so I can't really complain.

As I understand it, just one shared account is only one cpanel license, so I was hoping to keep the deal I had. I'm sure the hosting industry will look vastly different in 2 1/2 years when it's time to find a new host.

Thanked by 2aaronstuder donli
  • donlidonli Member

@FootKaput said:

> Hello,
    > All accounts are affected as far as promo code usage. Upon renewal, any promotional codes previous to the change will now be at 25% regardless of the previous amount.
    > If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    > Thank you,
    > HostMantis Sales
    > [email protected]
    > 

I'm definitely getting my money's worth from the deal I have, so I can't really complain.

As I understand it, just one shared account is only one cpanel license, so I was hoping to keep the deal I had. I'm sure the hosting industry will look vastly different in 2 1/2 years when it's time to find a new host.

So because cPanel is increasing the cost to my host .20*12=$2.40/year the cost of my (non-reseller) hosting plan is going to go up from $ 8.58 to $ 32.16 (+ $23.58). I dun thin so.

Thanked by 2mrTom buzzyLET
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Mental stress/damage charge, don't forget.

• the beginning is night

• donli said: So because cPanel is increasing the cost to my host .20*12=$2.40/year the cost of my (non-reseller) hosting plan is going to go up from $ 8.58 to $ 32.16 (+ $23.58). I dun thin so.

You know my opinion from the other thread, this is not a customer focused solution at all and I hope people won't forget this in the future.

I already migrated my clients to another provider and simply offered HostMantis to refund the initial payment for my reseller account. I have enough bad experiences with LET providers for now.

In the future I am simply avoiding anything that has HostXXX in the name :disappointed:

• ITLabsITLabs Member

Good news is they allow remote SSH access now ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@HostMantis
    My entry reseller went up from like 9$ to 36$:
    First Payment Amount $9.68 USD
    Recurring Amount $36.30 USD

I currently have 3 cPanel accounts on it and have used it for my personal projects as I liked having the accs separated. Don't get me wrong, I do know where you are coming from but with this price increase I'm probably going to look for alternatives at the end of term.

My Shared Hosting Account:

First Payment Amount $8.58 USD
    Recurring Amount $32.16 USD

Too bad these are affected as well :/

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

The shared accounts are what don't make sense to me.. Even if they're hit with retail per-account fees that's $2.40/yr extra. Round it up to $3 for the base license cost going up + to cover payment processing fees on it.

Interesting.

Thanked by 2Ympker buzzyLET
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Harambe said:

@Ympker said:

The shared accounts are what don't make sense to me.. Even if they're hit with retail per-account fees that's $2.40/yr extra. Round it up to $3 for the base license cost going up + to cover payment processing fees on it.

Interesting.

Yeah. I was hoping the shared accounts wouldn't be affected or at least just by the 3$ overhead. I mean we can do the math for these quite easily, can't we?

@HostMantis maybe reconsider for the shared plans at least?

edited July 2019

Ympker said: Too bad these are affected as well

My thoughts too...as pointed out the licensing would hit reseller account much harder, but then again I'm not running a webhost myself and probably would be out of my league to speculate too much.

I ended up using my account as a inbound, catch all account for email on some of my domains...I don't use many resources, so I could probably find a smaller plan when the time comes. DA would probably also work for me if it's got the capability for add-on domain, emails, and email catch-alls.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • donlidonli Member

@Harambe said:

@Ympker said:

It's like the shared-hosting world has gone nuts.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited July 2019

A 300% increase in my shared hosting plans renewal fees, I think not.
    IMHO, this is a way over the top reaction to the CPanel cost increase for shared.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@donli said:

Name is cPArmageddon.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Again, let's all keep in mind that we wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for cPanel's poor decision.

• donlidonli Member

@HostMantis said:
    Again, let's all keep in mind that we wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for cPanel's poor decision.

2 poor decisions don't equal a correct one.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2019

@donli said:

@Harambe said:

@Ympker said:

Not nuts, but more a way for them to get a price increase in while cPanel gave them cover.

If they wanted to raise prices on their own they'd have to deal with the PR fallout, especially with such an increase.

They have to increase due to cPanel. It's not possible for them at the pricing that they charge (or really, anyone doing shared on this site) can absorb.

Best of luck to everyone.

Francisco

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@donli said:

@HostMantis said:
    Again, let's all keep in mind that we wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for cPanel's poor decision.

2 poor decisions don't equal a correct one.

It's also kinda weird that shared plans have to bear the increase as well. You see, in the e-mail it is referred to resellers mostly and a calculation is presented to show the maths that equals the price increase..for the resellers. Once fhose with just a Shared Hosting Plan use the very same calculation though it appears they are the ones bearing the biggest toll of the price increase whereas they should have the least impact. Just my two cents though :)

Thanked by 2FrankZ commercial
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Francisco said:

@donli said:

@Harambe said:

@Ympker said:

Not nuts, but more a way for them to get a price increase in while cPanel gave them cover.

If they wanted to raise prices on their own they'd have to deal with the PR fallout, especially with such an increase.

They have to increase due to cPanel. It's not possible for them at the pricing that they charge (or really, anyone doing shared on this site) can absorb.

Francisco

Refugee ponies on July 4th (hint hint)?

• donlidonli Member

@Francisco said:

You need some BuyShared nodes in New York

Thanked by 1Ympker
    edited July 2019

The fight started when he hit me back! :)

(logic from growing up with brothers)

• sanvitsanvit Member

My reseller entry is renewing at $74.96 instead of the original $19.99 per 3 years. I know the initial offer was extremely cheap, but mostly for personal use and only having 1 cPanel account for now, and having to pay 300%+ the original price is... :(

Wish @HostMantis can get DA sorted out ond provide it at a competitive cost (even if not the original pricing)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

The price increase is kind of understandable, but can be executed better. Based on this increase I will most likely switch to another provider.

• I hadn't checked for what my increase would be on a shared account.

First Payment Amount $19.99 USD
    Recurring Amount $74.96 USD

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

@FootKaput said:
    The fight started when he hit me back! :)

(logic from growing up with brothers)

Well, I feel like that the LET community is generally very provider friendly and especially with the cPanel rampage there has been a lot of solidarity and feelings of support conveyed to the providers. Most of us would have probably seen a price increase coming with this change and rightfully so. We are, however, also able to do the math as to what extent our cPanel Account(s) would influence our impact regarding the cPanel rampage. Seeing shared hosting prices being upped to the extent of paying triple the price that's just ridiculous.
    If what @Francisco has hinted at is correct that doesn't really make you @HostMantis better than cPanel. Many providers were complaining about a price increase of 300%+ due to cPanel's new policy. Others were saying old plans/clients should be grandfathered.. You were fast to join these sentiments and complaints but now are heading in a similar direction. Don't get me wrong. You have every right to. So has cPanel.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770991

We are relatively kind as compare to the folks at WHT

• We're not unreasonable. We're just trying to remain operational. Any clients facing a hardship over our changes is free to contact us and see what we can work out for them.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
This discussion has been closed.