Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cpu steal with 2 dedicated cores on well known root server hosting product
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cpu steal with 2 dedicated cores on well known root server hosting product

how can this cpu steal time explained with supposedly 2 dedicated cores in place other than that these are not dedicated?
cpu steal fluctuates approx from 0.3 to 13% around this web server load
thx for suggestions

top - 10:24:27 up 19:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.26, 0.34
Tasks: 118 total,   2 running,  73 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 16.2 us, 12.6 sy,  0.0 ni, 57.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.2 si, 13.7 st
KiB Mem :  8168216 total,  3609780 free,   834284 used,  3724152 buff/cache
KiB Swap:        0 total,        0 free,        0 used.  6913516 avail Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
24768 digicam+  20   0  572544  57784  32764 S  45.2  0.7   0:10.63 php-fpm
18653 mysql     20   0 1977208 485312  20060 S  12.3  5.9   6:46.68 mysqld
24767 digicam+  20   0  572096  55664  31224 R  12.0  0.7   0:13.29 php-fpm
    8 root      20   0       0      0      0 I   3.0  0.0   1:24.88 rcu_sched

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2019

2Core, 8GB? root server? so probably netcup...

the term 'dedicated' is obviously subject to be intrepreted in different ways and marketing departments of different companies make use of that heavily.

It starts with cores usually not really being cores but threads and ends with 'dedicated' meaning you just 'can consume what you get out of'.

for netcup I think they somewhere even officially stated that it's just threads, so on a node with quite some load this already can lead to steal...

PS: did you open a support ticket with the support of your provider? if so, what did they answer?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2019

CPU steal does appear to vary a little depending on the virtualisation used. Logically, virtualisation does have an overhead; how that is presented to the VPS will differ. From experience:
    vmware = 0
    KVM ~ 0.05 %
    Xen-PV ~ 0.1 %
    As mentioned, threads, as opposed to cores are likely to influence the outcome.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2019

silverdawn said: how can this cpu steal time explained with supposedly 2 dedicated cores in place other than that these are not dedicated?

First of all, name the provider, cut the "well known" b/s. They are scamming you and you are trying hard to "protect their business"? Secondly, what comes to mind, check if the ToS forbids uses such as cryptocoin mining or mentions any sort of "CPU abuse" on these "root" servers. If it does, then certainly these are oversold and "dedicated" was just a lie.

AlwaysSkint said: CPU steal does appear to vary a little depending on the virtualisation used.
    KVM ~ 0.05 %
    Xen-PV ~ 0.1 %

And this is a super relevant answer to a situation when there's 13.7% steal?

Thanked by 1Razza
  • RazzaRazza Member

I've always thought dedicated core at the price they sell at is just total marketing bullshit, I've had two dedicated core vps in the last year or so both had 10-15%+ steal compared my other kvm which are just sold as shared had zero steal.

The reason I think dedicated cores vps have quite high steal is due to it claiming to be dedicated which causes more user to use it for more cpu intensive purposes.

I agree with @rm_ if they are dedicated then they shouldn't care one bit if you are mining or doing cpu abuse.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2019

Remember: VPS is a fancy term for shared environment especially in lowend market.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@silverdawn said: thx for suggestions

What kind of suggestions do you anticipate other than: open a ticket with the provider if you find the steal time to be an issue.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • download more ram?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2019

@rm_ said:

AlwaysSkint said: CPU steal does appear to vary a little depending on the virtualisation used.
    KVM ~ 0.05 %
    Xen-PV ~ 0.1 %

And this is a super relevant answer to a situation when there's 13.7% steal?

What's with the attitude? OP mentioned it varied from 0.3%; I was citing examples for comparison and to illustrate that it won't necessarily be zero.
    I too have experienced a recent CPU steal of similar magnitude to OP and questioned it with my "well-known" provider. Though no explanation could be found (other than node backups), thankfully steal has reduced back down to baseline levels.
    Is that enough spelling it out for you?
    (EDIT3: My original comments were a continuation of Falzo's remarks)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

AlwaysSkint said: What's with the attitude?

The attitude here is only from you, rather than addressing the question at hand, you answer with "Oh, I know things!"

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

urgh....

• t0mt0m Member

@deank said:
    Remember: VPS is a fancy term for shared environment especially in lowend market.

Virtual Private Steal

Thanked by 1uptime
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@t0m said:

@deank said:

Virtual Private Steal

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • If they really were dedicated threads and you were pounding them then I'd expect steal time to be close to 50%, since both threads would be on the same physical core. If you are idling, why do you care?

Be glad you are not really getting dedicated (pinned to hardware cores) threads since that would limit your computation speed to 1 core per 2 threads, basically 100% core utilization per 2 threads. With unpinned threads and 13% steal it sounds to me like you are getting around 170% from 2 threads.

If you can consistently stay at or above 100% then I'd say be happy with what you have. If you got what you are asking for, it would never get above 100%.

Thanked by 2uptime angstrom