Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Cloudflare Introducing VPN - Warp and DNS 1.1.1.1 (for mobile)
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Cloudflare Introducing VPN - Warp and DNS 1.1.1.1 (for mobile)

Comments

• sgheghelesgheghele Member
      edited April 2

I was about to wear my tinfoil hat. Then I’ve seen that they to offer a paid version. Hmmm.

Will wait for the first court order to strike ;-) or maybe the public audits.

Thanked by 1GuyP
    • LetzienLetzien Member

Personally, I think OS/2 Warp was a bit of a downer. I literally needed a VESA mode util for DOS to get my resolution above 640x480.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Ole_Juul
    • no thanks!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider

I like CloudFlare, use CDN, firewall, DNS, transferred my domain there, but eh... I don't know about using this.

They're going to be pushing a huge amount of traffic with the free service.

• LutungLutung Member

Used this to bypass restrictions in my country.

• By having software running on both sides of an Internet connection we can make significant optimizations that wouldn’t otherwise be possible. Going forward, we plan to add local device differential compression (think Railgun on your phone), more advanced header compression, intelligently adaptive congestion control, and multipath routing. All those things are easier to provide when someone is accessing a Cloudflare customer through their phone running Warp. So the more people who install Warp, the more valuable Cloudflare’s core services become.

don't buy what you don't need

• JabJabJabJab Member

I am more interested in Providers approach to this - are your filters/anti-fraud gonna mark everyone using "Cloudflare VPN"? Or you gonna whitelist that? Ignore IP checking?

This will be crazy shit.

Thanked by 2Aluminat dontknow
    • AluminatAluminat Member
      edited April 3

@JabJab said:
      I am more interested in Providers approach to this - are your filters/anti-fraud gonna mark everyone using "Cloudflare VPN"? Or you gonna whitelist that? Ignore IP checking?

This will be crazy shit.

This. With desktop version coming soon, I hope it will solve IPv4 NAT problem.

• A whitelist for fraudcheck is a bad idea. Users can temporarily sign off of their VPN during checkout then sign back in.

Hyper Expert | FREE VPS | Launch a high performance VPS in under 60 seconds | DDoS Protected | SSD KVM plans starting at $2.99

• leang97leang97 Member

Well, this thing just vpn your DNS queries, it doesn't really encrypt the traffic to the actual web servers. I hope I am wrong but I can still see my actual IP address with "VPN" on.

• FAT32FAT32 Member, Moderator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@leang97 said:
      Well, this thing just vpn your DNS queries, it doesn't really encrypt the traffic to the actual web servers. I hope I am wrong but I can still see my actual IP address with "VPN" on.

That's because you just enabled the 1.1.1.1 instead of the one with Warp service enabled, you need to register and be in the waitlist before you can start using it.

Fuck the world. I will not be around for the next few days.

• leang97leang97 Member

@FAT32 said:

@leang97 said:

That's because you just enabled the 1.1.1.1 instead of the one with Warp service enabled, you need to register and be in the waitlist before you can start using it.

Yeah just found out that you need to register for warp. Cause I enable the 1.1.1.1 and it shows vpn logo on my phone, I tot that my phone already get connected onto their vpn servers.

• Beta now available @
      droid: https://t.co/3l6RQj4fqJ
      iOS: https://t.co/84QTZRAbYE

Not impressed so far.(10 min usage) xD

So Say We All

• not free? Why cloudflare? have you gotten enough data from people already?

Thanked by 3GuyP Ole_Juul dedicados

I like what she said, not what it means.

• @Chuck seems free on my end, they have Warp+ for 5$/month but i've no idea at the moment what the difference is as i won't be subscribing. :D

So Say We All

• AlexJonesAlexJones Member
      edited September 25

Been on wait-list for 6m been signed up since day 2. O I see it's active on beta so much for the wait list

Thanked by 1xaoc
    • Avoiding ISP snooping on you by trusting cf...there is no free lunch

Thanked by 1GuyP
    • @jbuggie said:
      Avoiding ISP snooping on you by trusting cf...there is no free lunch

You pay your ISP for data collection but Cloudflare snooping is free so...

Thanked by 1GuyP

So Say We All

• sanvitsanvit Member
      edited September 25

I tried both Warp and Warp+. Both of them routes my traffic through NRT or LAX while I'm in South Korea and my closest DC is ICN (it actually shows up as ICN on their diagnostics page, but logs says otherwise), which adds 100~150ms of latency. Even more if I access a Korean website since the traffic has to do a round trip to NRT or LAX and back to Korea

Btw it seems like Cloudflare is passing the true IP via True-Client-IP, at least for websites using CF. Not sure with non-cf sites though

• @sanvit noticed the true ip thingy as well. Routing is great here, getting a KIV location which is closest to me. I get KIV even without warp tho.

So Say We All

• sanvitsanvit Member
      edited September 25

@xaoc said:
      @sanvit noticed the true ip thingy as well. Routing is great here, getting a KIV location which is closest to me. I get KIV even without warp tho.

I also got way better routing when connecting to far away servers (europe) when using WARP+. I did sent the a bug report so let's see how it goes :)

Edit : I'm now being routed through ICN. If this continuea, I'm seriously considering my WARP+ subscription. I just really wish this works as a local proxy mode, so I can use with AdGuard.

• @sanvit said:

@xaoc said:
      @sanvit noticed the true ip thingy as well. Routing is great here, getting a KIV location which is closest to me. I get KIV even without warp tho.

I also got way better routing when connecting to far away servers (europe) when using WARP+. I did sent the a bug report so let's see how it goes :)

Edit : I'm now being routed through ICN. If this continuea, I'm seriously considering my WARP+ subscription. I just really wish this works as a local proxy mode, so I can use with AdGuard.

File a suggestion to add a ad'blocking option inside the app itself. Will probably be much better than using AdGuard+Warp. I already sent them mine.

So Say We All

• @xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

File a suggestion to add a ad'blocking option inside the app itself. Will probably be much better than using AdGuard+Warp. I already sent them mine.

I did, but I prefer using adguard as it's more configurable :)

• Well, I think I found out why it's still on beta :(

• @sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

I've been using that Blokada app(from their website not play store) for a while and it seemed to do the job. Lifesaver on my parents devices as they'd activate a bunch of premium services via ads by "mistake". And the stewpid mobile provider refused to block those premium thingies from reactivating... -_-

Thanked by 1sanvit

So Say We All

• It speeds up download a lot, but upload is meh...

• @xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

I've been using that Blokada app(from their website not play store) for a while and it seemed to do the job. Lifesaver on my parents devices as they'd activate a bunch of premium services via ads by "mistake". And the stewpid mobile provider refused to block those premium thingies from reactivating... -_-

Makes sense. We all know how those telecoms earn money :P

• @sanvit said:
      Well, I think I found out why it's still on beta :(

Oh boy it's almost like Asian bandwidth isn't cheap

• lowfatgeeklowfatgeek Member
      edited September 25

Upload speed needs improvement

https://s1.imgin.cloud/img/2ada9f5e695e9959235f6fc4f7f918c5.png

https://myip.my.id/ what is my IP address.

• @AlexJones said:

@sanvit said:
      Well, I think I found out why it's still on beta :(

Oh boy it's almost like Asian bandwidth isn't cheap

Moldovan bandwidth is cheap tho and i've the same issue. Seems more of a software issue than bandwidth as the PoP here shouldn't be overloaded

So Say We All

• Here's the announcement: https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-warp-plus/

They do indeed report your ip to your targets so this is not for hiding ips which means it won't really be abused much(me hopes).

So Say We All

• This means Netflix works as intended while on VPN.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
    • My download speed in the UK goes from 100Mbps on 4G to 2Mbps using Cloudflare Warp, no Warp+ though.

• @xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

Either way, you are paying your ISP. CF gives you a false sense of security, for free. There is no privacy, really. Without net neutrality, the CDN people need to get around ISP traffic shaping. This could be it. In addition, DNS data worths more than most people think.

• @MikeA said:
      transferred my domain there

Hope you never want to change your nameservers ;)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider

@aaronstuder said:

@MikeA said:
      transferred my domain there

Hope you never want to change your nameservers ;)

I have my nameservers on a separate domain elsewhere.

• xaocxaoc Member
      edited September 25

@jbuggie said:

@xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

Either way, you are paying your ISP.

I'll stop paying once they make warp available on PC as well cause i don't really need to pay the ISP to have internet here, just need the copper line and a local vpn.

So Say We All

• @tester4 said:
      My download speed in the UK goes from 100Mbps on 4G to 2Mbps using Cloudflare Warp, no Warp+ though.

"invite" your friend(some other mobile device) for Warp+ and check diagnostics in the settings to see which PoP you`re using and then submit a bug report with all that info. :D

So Say We All

• @xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

@xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

I'll stop paying once they make warp available on PC as well cause i don't really need to pay the ISP to have internet here, just need the copper line and a local vpn.

How do you connect to a VPN in the first place without having internet connection?

@xaoc said:

@tester4 said:
      My download speed in the UK goes from 100Mbps on 4G to 2Mbps using Cloudflare Warp, no Warp+ though.

"invite" your friend(some other mobile device) for Warp+ and check diagnostics in the settings to see which PoP you`re using and then submit a bug report with all that info. :D

You can go to
      1.1.1.1/cdn-cgi/trace (or any domain with CF on) and check the colo= part to see if you're on a local colo or somewhere far away

• @sanvit said:
      How do you connect to a VPN in the first place without having internet connection?

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
    • @ITLabs said:

@sanvit said:

Lol, how's the latency there? :P

• @sanvit said:

@ITLabs said:

@sanvit said:

Lol, how's the latency there? :P

Latency will depend on many factors, especially if the pigeon needs to stop to eat, rest or take a sh*t.

About bandwidth: If you were to load up a carrier pigeon to its maximum capacity of 75 grams with 1 TB microSD cards weighing 250 mg each, the pigeon would be carrying a total of 300 TB of data. Flying at its top sprinting speed, if that pigeon were to make its way from San Francisco to New York (4,130 km), it would achieve a data rate of 12 TB per hour, or 28 Gbps, which is several orders of magnitude faster than most Internet connections.

Ref.: https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/networks/pigeonbased-feathernet-still-wingsdown-fastest-way-of-transferring-lots-of-data

Thanked by 2bikegremlin uptime
    • @sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

@xaoc said:

@jbuggie said:

Local traffic is not blocked by the ISP's auth system and cloudflare has a local PoP. Back in the day you'd just need someone's log'in but now they've limited users to one session. Oh and you do need a modem besides the phone line. xD

Thanked by 1sanvit

So Say We All

• If everyone has priority, then there is no priority.

• again, no thanks!

• Seems to be working fine, without draining the battery. IOS 12.4

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• jsgjsg Member
      edited September 26

Don't the Americans have some funny laws that allow gov. agencies to send special letters (sorry, forgot the acronym) with which they can demand pretty much anything (like: we want a mirror port) and the addressee isn't allowed to talk about it with anyone, not even with his lawyer?

I'll keep away. Thanks but thanks no, Cloud%§#! but good luck on your way to become Dr. Evil of the internet.

• @jsg said:
      Don't the Americans have some funny laws that allow gov. agencies to send special letters (sorry, forgot the acronym) with which they can demand pretty much anything (like: we want a mirror port) and the addressee isn't allowed to talk about it with anyone, no even with his lawyer?

I'll keep away. Thanks but thanks no, Cloud%§#! but good luck on your way to become Dr. Evil of the internet.

subpoena nda

Thanked by 1jsg

phuck dis guy

• rm_rm_ Member

jsg said: Don't the Americans have some funny laws that allow gov. agencies to send special letters (sorry, forgot the acronym) with which they can demand pretty much anything (like: we want a mirror port) and the addressee isn't allowed to talk about it with anyone, no even with his lawyer?

These are called warrants, and there is a way to make the public aware:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_canary
      https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-transparency-update-joining-cloudflares-flock-of-warrant-canaries-2/

Basically they have a page which states "We have not received one" and then they can remove that statement if they do. The law can forbid them to publish that they received it, but cannot forbid them to stop stating that they haven't, yes, funnily enough.

Thanked by 1jsg
    • jsgjsg Member

@rm_
      ... IF they are on the side of their users or care about them at all ...

Quite some companies were happy with their cozy relationship with e.g. NSA.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin