Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Introducing VPN - Warp and DNS 1.1.1.1 (for mobile)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Introducing VPN - Warp and DNS 1.1.1.1 (for mobile)

Comments

• sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited April 2019

I was about to wear my tinfoil hat. Then I’ve seen that they to offer a paid version. Hmmm.

Will wait for the first court order to strike ;-) or maybe the public audits.

Thanked by 1GuyP
  • Personally, I think OS/2 Warp was a bit of a downer. I literally needed a VESA mode util for DOS to get my resolution above 640x480.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Ole_Juul
  • no thanks!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I like CloudFlare, use CDN, firewall, DNS, transferred my domain there, but eh... I don't know about using this.

They're going to be pushing a huge amount of traffic with the free service.

• Used this to bypass restrictions in my country.

• By having software running on both sides of an Internet connection we can make significant optimizations that wouldn’t otherwise be possible. Going forward, we plan to add local device differential compression (think Railgun on your phone), more advanced header compression, intelligently adaptive congestion control, and multipath routing. All those things are easier to provide when someone is accessing a Cloudflare customer through their phone running Warp. So the more people who install Warp, the more valuable Cloudflare’s core services become.

• I am more interested in Providers approach to this - are your filters/anti-fraud gonna mark everyone using "Cloudflare VPN"? Or you gonna whitelist that? Ignore IP checking?

This will be crazy shit.

Thanked by 2Aluminat dontknow
  • AluminatAluminat Member
    edited April 2019

@JabJab said:
    I am more interested in Providers approach to this - are your filters/anti-fraud gonna mark everyone using "Cloudflare VPN"? Or you gonna whitelist that? Ignore IP checking?

This will be crazy shit.

This. With desktop version coming soon, I hope it will solve IPv4 NAT problem.

• hyperexperthyperexpert Member, Host Rep

A whitelist for fraudcheck is a bad idea. Users can temporarily sign off of their VPN during checkout then sign back in.

• Well, this thing just vpn your DNS queries, it doesn't really encrypt the traffic to the actual web servers. I hope I am wrong but I can still see my actual IP address with "VPN" on.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@leang97 said:
    Well, this thing just vpn your DNS queries, it doesn't really encrypt the traffic to the actual web servers. I hope I am wrong but I can still see my actual IP address with "VPN" on.

That's because you just enabled the 1.1.1.1 instead of the one with Warp service enabled, you need to register and be in the waitlist before you can start using it.

• @FAT32 said:

@leang97 said:
    Well, this thing just vpn your DNS queries, it doesn't really encrypt the traffic to the actual web servers. I hope I am wrong but I can still see my actual IP address with "VPN" on.

That's because you just enabled the 1.1.1.1 instead of the one with Warp service enabled, you need to register and be in the waitlist before you can start using it.

Yeah just found out that you need to register for warp. Cause I enable the 1.1.1.1 and it shows vpn logo on my phone, I tot that my phone already get connected onto their vpn servers.

• Beta now available @
    droid: https://t.co/3l6RQj4fqJ
    iOS: https://t.co/84QTZRAbYE

Not impressed so far.(10 min usage) xD

• not free? Why cloudflare? have you gotten enough data from people already?

Thanked by 3GuyP Ole_Juul dedicados
  • @Chuck seems free on my end, they have Warp+ for 5$/month but i've no idea at the moment what the difference is as i won't be subscribing. :D

• AlexJonesAlexJones Member
    edited September 2019

Been on wait-list for 6m been signed up since day 2. O I see it's active on beta so much for the wait list

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • Avoiding ISP snooping on you by trusting cf...there is no free lunch

Thanked by 1GuyP
  • @jbuggie said:
    Avoiding ISP snooping on you by trusting cf...there is no free lunch

You pay your ISP for data collection but Cloudflare snooping is free so...

Thanked by 1GuyP
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited September 2019

I tried both Warp and Warp+. Both of them routes my traffic through NRT or LAX while I'm in South Korea and my closest DC is ICN (it actually shows up as ICN on their diagnostics page, but logs says otherwise), which adds 100~150ms of latency. Even more if I access a Korean website since the traffic has to do a round trip to NRT or LAX and back to Korea

Btw it seems like Cloudflare is passing the true IP via True-Client-IP, at least for websites using CF. Not sure with non-cf sites though

• @sanvit noticed the true ip thingy as well. Routing is great here, getting a KIV location which is closest to me. I get KIV even without warp tho.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited September 2019

@xaoc said:
    @sanvit noticed the true ip thingy as well. Routing is great here, getting a KIV location which is closest to me. I get KIV even without warp tho.

I also got way better routing when connecting to far away servers (europe) when using WARP+. I did sent the a bug report so let's see how it goes :)

Edit : I'm now being routed through ICN. If this continuea, I'm seriously considering my WARP+ subscription. I just really wish this works as a local proxy mode, so I can use with AdGuard.

• @sanvit said:

@xaoc said:
    @sanvit noticed the true ip thingy as well. Routing is great here, getting a KIV location which is closest to me. I get KIV even without warp tho.

I also got way better routing when connecting to far away servers (europe) when using WARP+. I did sent the a bug report so let's see how it goes :)

Edit : I'm now being routed through ICN. If this continuea, I'm seriously considering my WARP+ subscription. I just really wish this works as a local proxy mode, so I can use with AdGuard.

File a suggestion to add a ad'blocking option inside the app itself. Will probably be much better than using AdGuard+Warp. I already sent them mine.

• @xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

File a suggestion to add a ad'blocking option inside the app itself. Will probably be much better than using AdGuard+Warp. I already sent them mine.

I did, but I prefer using adguard as it's more configurable :)

• Well, I think I found out why it's still on beta :(

• @sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

I've been using that Blokada app(from their website not play store) for a while and it seemed to do the job. Lifesaver on my parents devices as they'd activate a bunch of premium services via ads by "mistake". And the stewpid mobile provider refused to block those premium thingies from reactivating... -_-

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • It speeds up download a lot, but upload is meh...

• @xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

@sanvit said:

@xaoc said:

I've been using that Blokada app(from their website not play store) for a while and it seemed to do the job. Lifesaver on my parents devices as they'd activate a bunch of premium services via ads by "mistake". And the stewpid mobile provider refused to block those premium thingies from reactivating... -_-

Makes sense. We all know how those telecoms earn money :P

• @sanvit said:
    Well, I think I found out why it's still on beta :(

Oh boy it's almost like Asian bandwidth isn't cheap

• lowfatgeeklowfatgeek Member
    edited September 2019

Upload speed needs improvement

https://s1.imgin.cloud/img/2ada9f5e695e9959235f6fc4f7f918c5.png

• @AlexJones said:

@sanvit said:
    Well, I think I found out why it's still on beta :(

Oh boy it's almost like Asian bandwidth isn't cheap

Moldovan bandwidth is cheap tho and i've the same issue. Seems more of a software issue than bandwidth as the PoP here shouldn't be overloaded