Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner OneProvider Server show just one hard disk !!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner OneProvider Server show just one hard disk !!

Hello,
I got a server from OneProvider which actually from Hetzner and I found there's no second hard disk , it just shows /dev/sda and there's no sdb
I already opened a ticket however oneprovider not reply till now
is there something I can do on rescue mode to make the second hard disk show up ?

thanks ,

Comments

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

How long did you wait for a reply to your ticket before posting here? Kindly note that this is not your provider's helpdesk. From my experience with lowest SLA it takes about 1-2 working days to get an answer from OneProvider support and another 1-2 days if datacenter staff needs to be involved. Generally I am quite satisfied with their support. It takes some time (but it is fair considering the price) and I always got meaningful answers.

If the second drive isn't picked up by the linux kernel, there isn't really much you can do. Of course everything is possible, it could be disabled in BIOS, but I'd guess it is hardware related (defective drive or cable, disk not present at all, ...). So give them some time to fix it. And remember it is now weekend in Europe, i.e. depending on your SLA do not necessarily expect a solution before Monday.

• Thanks dfroe, they just replied and asked for
    cat /proc/mdstat
    and
    fdisk -l

they are thinking it's raid 1 but I'm just confused about that because mdstat gives this output

# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    unused devices:

• I have been with oneprovider for about three or four years , it's not always I have servers with them but my previous servers with them there was no big problems they are good however this new server I had some issues and this should be the third day after delivery without any progress because there's somethings goes wrong with it , for example after installation with hetzner installimage It was not accessable , and it can be accessable just if I install from the console , then It was able to be accessable after installation with installimage in rescue mode however suddenly the second hard disk disappers

the server performs good however I think there's something wrong

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

/proc/mdstat queries the status of the software raid in your linux kernel. Does your server maybe come with hardware RAID support? Depending on your server and location you might see a tab called RAID when managing your server in OP-Panel. If supported you can switch there between different (hardware) RAID modes or disable (hardware) RAID. When using hardware RAID the RAID controller usually presents one logical "drive" for each array.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• dfroe said: /proc/mdstat queries the status of the software raid in your linux kernel. Does your server maybe come with hardware RAID support? Depending on your server and location you might see a tab called RAID when managing your server in OP-Panel. If supported you can switch there between different (hardware) RAID modes or disable (hardware) RAID. When using hardware RAID the RAID controller usually presents one logical "drive" for each array.

>

there's no any raid option , the only tabs there (reset , reinstall , rescue mode , IP reverse , Cancel)
    I searched each tab and there's no any raid array option
    I replied them but their second reply takes more hours which seems to be messy and waste for time

anyway thank you dfroe for your help

• What's the output of lsblk?

• NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda 8:0 0 2.7T 0 disk
    ├─sda1 8:1 0 8G 0 part [SWAP]
    ├─sda2 8:2 0 512M 0 part /boot
    ├─sda3 8:3 0 2.7T 0 part /
    └─sda4 8:4 0 1M 0 part

• Well you did go with _One_Provider. You should have gone for _Two_Provider.

• CyberMonday said: Well you did go with _One_Provider. You should have gone for _Two_Provider.

:smiley:

• @SolidxGaming what do you think ? thanks

• @alsemany said:
    @SolidxGaming what do you think ? thanks

Send them this and tell them you have only one disk.

• did you get IPMI? if yes, check from there

• @alsemany said: I got a server from OneProvider which actually from Hetzner and I found there's no second hard disk

Hetzner would rightly say that this isn't their problem -- it's OneProvider's problem -- and so the title of your thread is misleading.

• PremiumFast_Net said: did you get IPMI?

no there's no IPMI device , I know that kvm-ip device rent to Hetzner servers for some hours but as I'm not Hetzner customer I can't ask

angstrom said: Hetzner would rightly say that this isn't their problem -- it's OneProvider's problem

I can't ask Hetzner for anything as I'm not a customer and OneProvider Just replied after several hours with this

I already read this page however they just provide no solution

Also there's something strange happens when installing virtual-min, when rebooting the server will not booting up again
    yes this server specs is good for my project however if still unusable till the moment so this is not good at all

• OK.

So what server package did you actually order, this will answer whether its hardware raid or not, and whether it should have two disks or not.

You should obtain this from the order form you submitted.

With that confirmed you will need to wait for one provider to answer if there is a hardware fault.

• ask for a refund and go with hetzner directly. their auction servers most likely are even cheaper than what one-provider offers.

Thanked by 1eol
  • casualjoe said: So what server package did you actually order, this will answer whether its hardware raid or not, and whether it should have two disks or not.

this is the server
    Core i7-2600
    3.4 GHz 4 cores 16 GB
    DDR3 2× 3 TB (HDD SATA)

Falzo said: ask for a refund and go with hetzner directly. their auction servers most likely are even cheaper than what one-provider offers.

Hetzner didn't want to validate my account with my Arabic Egyptian Governmental ID
    ..disappointed

• @alsemany said: angstrom said: Hetzner would rightly say that this isn't their problem -- it's OneProvider's problem

I can't ask Hetzner for anything as I'm not a customer and OneProvider Just replied after several hours with this

This is exactly my point: you're a customer of OneProvider, not of Hetzner. OneProvider are responsible for delivering what you paid for, not Hetzner. Your contract is with OneProvider, not with Hetzner. Hetzner's role in this is totally irrelevant as far as you're concerned, which is why the title of this thread is misleading.

Thanked by 1eol
  • What is the output of smartctl -a /dev/sda ?

• angstrom said: which is why the title of this thread is misleading.

not exactly , everyone here knows that oneprovider is a reseller and this mention is just while asking about how to make the second hard disk appears with hetzner's expert users.
    in other words I know well that Hetzner not related to this issue , but this mention to let people know which rescue systems I use if someone can help

• zkyez said: What is the output of smartctl -a /dev/sda ?

root@rescue ~ # smartctl -a /dev/sda
    smartctl 6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 [x86_64-linux-4.9.120] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family: Seagate Barracuda XT
    Device Model: ST33000651AS
    Serial Number: Z290QH4W
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0360c3a1f
    Firmware Version: CC45
    User Capacity: 3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]
    Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
    Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
    Form Factor: 3.5 inches
    Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
    SATA Version is: SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
    Local Time is: Sat Nov 17 16:05:11 2018 CET
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled

• OK so no hardware raid and smartctl confirms it can see a single disk.

I presume there's no sdb?

Check dmesg | grep sd to see if anything else picked up.

If nothing all over to one provider to raise with hetzner for the other disk.

I agree though, refund and go direct.

OP can't go direct due to his nationality. He made that clear.

• @alsemany said:

angstrom said: which is why the title of this thread is misleading.

not exactly , everyone here knows that oneprovider is a reseller and this mention is just while asking about how to make the second hard disk appears with hetzner's expert users.
    in other words I know well that Hetzner not related to this issue , but this mention to let people know which rescue systems I use if someone can help

It sounds like the server they gave you is missing a second disk (or it's a dead disk). If there's a working second disk, it should appear as sdb.

Do you think that there's a working second disk but that it requires expert Hetzner users to provide the right incantation?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2018

Raid, the magic thing, that makes you think your server is more secure, but not really.
    Just another try of the humankind to make things look like more secure.

Just one crappy raid card behind your lines and you still be fucked.

edited November 2018

Raid is indeed false sense of security.

And it makes geek talk as well as making hosting offers sound cooler.

Raid 666! Triple redundancy plus auto backup! When it works.

• thank you all for your replies that's really confim to me that there's no any kind of raid and there's just one hard disk appears
    One-Provider still not replying

• @alsemany said:
    thank you all for your replies that's really confim to me that there's no any kind of raid and there's just one hard disk appears
    One-Provider still not replying

It's the weekend, so you may have to be patient (but I would agree that this should be an urgent matter for them.)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2018

OneProvider is basically the Kimsufi support from like 2 years ago.