OVH Double Server Bandwidth
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

OVH Double Server Bandwidth

After Hetzner goes unmetered, now OVH increase server bandwidth. Who's next? :)

Comments

• Love it. Not holding my breath but this would be an amazing upgrade if it eventually hits SYS, VPS plans, etc.

Professional Shoeminer

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Provider
    edited October 9

OVH joined Hetzner to select customers from online.net after the price increase.

I wonder if there will be more on these lines:
    Kimsufi - 200 mbps
    SoYouStart - 500 mbps.

My Hosting: ABCVG.net

• @Vova1234 said:
    OVH joined Hetzner to select customers from online.net after the price increase.

I wonder if there will be more on these lines:
    Kimsufi - 200 mbps
    SoYouStart - 500 mbps.

A reply to this tweet from Oles was "Yes SYS. Not for Kimsufi."

• drivexdrivex Member

The question is when does it happen? ;)

• hammadhammad Member

all 6 of my server at OVH.IE , Still not Updated.

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited October 9

According to a tweet it will be rolled out over a couple of weeks for ~ 360k physical servers.

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited October 9

decent.

500Mbit UNMETERED 4.99 SYS ARM 2TB which CPU is sadly to weak to handle it.

• @hammad said:
    all 6 of my server at OVH.IE , Still not Updated.

I am waiting as well. :)

signature for rent - ^_^

• I really hope this gets patched to my DO-32 soon.

Avid server purchaser. Good deal? Buy -> think of what to do with it.

• it will take a while, ovh has a lot of servers ;)

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited October 9

In before all the posts asking "Can we do 330TB per month??"

But seriously is there any point in buying Premium bandwidth now?

Didn't OVH add Additional bandwidth options to kick out Seedbox Resellers back in 2013? This is like an open invitation to them all. Makes no sense... If they were trying to grab the disgruntled Online.net clients who cancelled their 16.99euro limited edition servers, increasing SYS bandwidth to 500mbit surely would have been enough? Don't understand why they would go on overselling their whole network? @ninzo59 @wokenwoll

• @sunnyg said:
    In before all the posts asking "Can we do 330TB per month??"

But seriously is there any point in buying Premium bandwidth now?

Didn't OVH add Additional bandwidth options to kick out Seedbox Resellers back in 2013? This is like an open invitation to them all. Makes no sense... If they were trying to grab the disgruntled Online.net clients who cancelled their 16.99euro limited edition servers, increasing SYS bandwidth to 500mbit surely would have been enough? Don't understand why they would go on overselling their whole network? @ninzo59 @wokenwoll

OVH continuously adding new bandwidth either through upgrading their peer bandwidth or build their own network in the last few months.

I think OVH is moving to higher bandwidth like multiple Gbit and 1Gbps/500Mbps become their new lowend/basic. In this tweet Oles said that they preparing to upgrade vRack to 10-25Gbps.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

danninov said: I think OVH is moving to higher bandwidth like multiple Gbit and 1Gbps/500Mbps become their new lowend/basic. In this tweet Oles said that they preparing to upgrade vRack to 10-25Gbps.

400Gbps interfaces rolled into production.

Thanked by 1danninov

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• YuraYura Member

inb4 @Clouvider

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • YuraYura Member

I WAS 30 SECONDS LATE!

Thanked by 3Zerpy gol3m wiggl3

@Clouvider said:

danninov said: I think OVH is moving to higher bandwidth like multiple Gbit and 1Gbps/500Mbps become their new lowend/basic. In this tweet Oles said that they preparing to upgrade vRack to 10-25Gbps.

400Gbps interfaces rolled into production.

@Yura said:
    I WAS 30 SECONDS LATE!

(almost) Always happy to share the knowledge ;-).

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• I was debating on keeping my SYS dedi. I guess this settles the debate for me.

• HarudHarud Member

Perfect. From now 1G unmetered will become industry standard. Thanks to Hetzner and OVH

Thanked by 1gol3m

@Harud said:
    Perfect. From now 1G unmetered will become industry standard. Thanks to Hetzner and OVH

I don’t think so ;-). I mean in the low end market, probably.

• Wizmap345Wizmap345 Member
    edited October 9

@Harud said:

I honestly can't believe we're still on 1gbps.

Residential properties have had 1gbps for years now yet servers are offering the same slow speeds.

They should be offering 5gbps as standard imo.

Having said that - I wish OVH would use their English twitter page equally the same as their FR one when it comes to news. I'm guessing less than 10% of their customers speak/read French considering they are a global supplier..

Marketing 101: Speak the same language as your customers!

Doubling bandwidth is HUGE news, I don't understand why they aren't shouting it from the rooftops. I'd imagine they are bleeding customers to Hetzner every day.

Thanked by 2gol3m NanoG6
  • @Wizmap345 said:

@Harud said:

Residential properties have had 1gbps for years now yet servers are offering the same slow speeds.

Having said that - I wish OVH would use their English twitter page equally the same as their FR one when it comes to news. I'm guessing less than 10% of their customers speak/read French considering they are a global supplier..

Marketing 101: Speak the same language as your customers!

Doubling bandwidth is HUGE news, I don't understand why they aren't shouting it from the rooftops. I'd imagine they are bleeding customers to Hetzner every day.

Residential area did not use full duplex nor 1:1 ratio..

Thanked by 2hostdare Wolveix
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Provider

residential has high contention ratio and servers are usually guaranteed network ports

HostDare - One of the cheapest and coolest providers online! :) | Our premium unmanaged vps plans | Cheap Shared Hosting

@hostdare said:
    residential has high contention ratio and servers are usually guaranteed network ports

More or less. Depending on the definition. Just how guaranteed depends on how good your dedicated server provider is.

• @Wizmap345 said:

@Harud said:

10 gig cards are expensive and not standard on most mainboards, i think that is a big problem for deploying that large scale on cheap servers.

Lets hope we see soon 10 gbit on most mainboards by default, after that we should see a price drop for 10 gbit port switches with multiple 100 gbit uplinks or 400 gbit because the demand will grow.

• @user54321 said:

@Wizmap345 said:

@Harud said:

10 gig cards are expensive and not standard on most mainboards, i think that is a big problem for deploying that large scale on cheap servers.

Lets hope we see soon 10 gbit on most mainboards by default, after that we should see a price drop for 10 gbit port switches with multiple 100 gbit uplinks or 400 gbit because the demand will grow.

Hopefully we'll see 10gbit soon. There comes a time when the standard has to change. :smile:

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • gol3mgol3m Member

@hostdare said:

In Germany DSL usually has a guaranteed rate.

@chocolateshirt said:

Residential area did not use full duplex nor 1:1 ratio..

The actual use for servers is probably way more outgoing than incoming (which is why you had to pay only for outgoing traffic at Hetzner until now), so very similar to residential where it's the other way round.

Besides, I have DSL, cable, and FTTH in a regular suburb, so I think it's reasonable to expect a server in a huge datacenter to have a connection that cannot be saturated by my home connection alone.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 9

Wizmap345 said: Having said that - I wish OVH would use their English twitter page equally the same as their FR one when it comes to news. I'm guessing less than 10% of their customers speak/read French considering they are a global supplier..

Actually, you should be glad they have changed their policies as much as they have! Back in the day, for example, to show French pride they would ONLY provide written and phone support in French. Only after they grew a lot did this change to where they now will provide support services in English. However, I would hardly expect them to not show their 'pride' in all their outward social and customer interactions, so I doubt you will see this change very much anytime soon.

I am not saying I agree, I am just saying they have made leaps and bounds to get here, expecting them to outwardly communicate in English and not French may be expecting a little too much.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

Have an Allwinner H3 device? Want Android? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC | #SYSarm - Get It!
    18+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting and Administration

• vovlervovler Member

@TheLinuxBug said:

Wizmap345 said: Having said that - I wish OVH would use their English twitter page equally the same as their FR one when it comes to news. I'm guessing less than 10% of their customers speak/read French considering they are a global supplier..

Actually, you should be glad they have changed their policies as much as they have! Back in the day, for example, to show French pride they would ONLY provide written and phone support in French. Only after they grew a lot did this change to where they now will provide support services in English. However, I would hardly expect them to not show their 'pride' in all their outward social and customer interactions, so I doubt you will see this change very much anytime soon.

I am not saying I agree, I am just saying they have made leaps and bounds to get here, expecting them to outwardly communicate in English and not French may be expecting a little too much.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

French are quite prideful of their nationality and language, which makes me wonder how in the hell did Paris become a piss city.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/11/explore-sustainability-paris-public-urination/

• @TheLinuxBug said:

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

Oh I have no issue with them communicating in French that's fine. My issue is they only seem to communicate in French when it comes to news, which is unacceptable considering they are a global company with many clients not speaking French so if they want to gain customers or market share, they'll have to lower the pride a little!

Hetzner is a little better although they send out automated German confirmation emails/texts and default their website as German even though my IP is not - but at least they advertise in English. :wink:

• If I order a new server today, will it already have these new bandwith policy/increase applied to it??

• vovlervovler Member

@Jabroni said:
    If I order a new server today, will it already have these new bandwith policy/increase applied to it??

Its for existing and new customers. Yes.

• JabroniJabroni Member
    edited October 9

@vovler said:

My question was more on timing, like if they are provisioning already new servers with these, because the order pages havent been updated yet to reflect these changes. ie im planning on getting a STOR server, and the order page still says its 500mbit and spikes to gigabit. Would hate to order a server and have to wait a couple months for the upgrade to full gigabit ;p

• donlidonli Member
    edited October 9

@creep said:
    next? colocrossing ipv6.

"Colocrossing doubles number of ipv6 addresses available to each customer".

• sunnygsunnyg Member

@Jabroni said:

@vovler said:

My question was more on timing, like if they are provisioning already new servers with these, because the order pages havent been updated yet to reflect these changes. ie im planning on getting a STOR server, and the order page still says its 500mbit and spikes to gigabit. Would hate to order a server and have to wait a couple months for the upgrade to full gigabit ;p

Could take months, maybe a year, maybe never. I recall they planned on shutting down a couple of SBG datacenters last year but never did anything about it. Planned on selling a whole bunch of new SYS offers, but 90% of them stay out of stock. This is OVH you're talking about, there could be some fine-print with regards to the usage. They change their mind at a whim and are far from how Hetzner operates, who actually made all the necessary changes first and then announced the upgrade.

• @Jabroni said:

@vovler said:

From Oles:

It will take a few weeks to see the confs apply on the entire park (356K physical servers)

With OVH's schedule, could easily take until the end of the year before it's fully rolled out.

Professional Shoeminer

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited October 10

Jabroni said: My question was more on timing, like if they are provisioning already new servers with these

No, they aren't "provisioning" you anything, they give you access to some server already sitting in the rack since years. And whether or not that rack has been already upgraded in the double bandwidth roll-out, is a question completely unrelated to who cancels it or who orders it when.

Would hate to order a server and have to wait a couple months for the upgrade to full gigabit ;p

So yes, most likely you will have to wait for the upgrade same as everyone else (existing customers).

• jsgjsg Member
    edited October 10

@Wizmap345 said:

@Harud said:

I don't think so. In fact I think that Hetzners bandwidth upgrade was but one minor factor for OVH. My guess is that the Hetzner upgrade only drove OVH to do theirs a bit earlier than planned - and planned it was, I bet. In an operation the size of OVH one doesn't just shoot from the hip; one plans carefully, one tests, one gets or builds the necessary hardware, etc.
    Which btw also explains their "quiet" announcement. To them that 0.5 to 1 Gb upgrade isn't the big thing to talk about.

As for "Oh gawd, how can we still be on 1 Gb ???" I think you are quite mistaken. For one bandwidth still doesn't come for free; increasing it in steps too large can even be prohibitively expensive (as in needing new fat cross-atlantic cables).

But my main point is another factor. It's the simple question "what for?".

From what I see the vast majority of servers on the internet do not even pump 1 Gb/s. Let's turn away from perfect-land and look at reality: servers running mysql/PHP driven SSL/TLS running web sites. Good luck filling a 1 Gb/s pipe with that. And btw most web sites don't have the number of vistors that would make even 2.5 Gb/s strongly desirable.
    Those that do need that kind of bandwith can and do have 10 or even n x 10 Gb/s. It's not that one could not get even 100 Gb/s. It's just that only very very few need it. About 90% of the servers out there (probably even more) simply do not fill or need even 1 Gb/s.

• I was just looking at this on Twitter as I have been busy the last week picking an RMM system. I have to say this Is great news.

I do wonder why they haven’t upgraded their Public Cloud / VPS port speeds yet?