Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Double Server Bandwidth
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Double Server Bandwidth

After Hetzner goes unmetered, now OVH increase server bandwidth. Who's next? :)

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Love it. Not holding my breath but this would be an amazing upgrade if it eventually hits SYS, VPS plans, etc.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

OVH joined Hetzner to select customers from online.net after the price increase.

I wonder if there will be more on these lines:
    Kimsufi - 200 mbps
    SoYouStart - 500 mbps.

• @Vova1234 said:
    OVH joined Hetzner to select customers from online.net after the price increase.

I wonder if there will be more on these lines:
    Kimsufi - 200 mbps
    SoYouStart - 500 mbps.

A reply to this tweet from Oles was "Yes SYS. Not for Kimsufi."

• The question is when does it happen? ;)

• all 6 of my server at OVH.IE , Still not Updated.

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited October 2018

According to a tweet it will be rolled out over a couple of weeks for ~ 360k physical servers.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2018

decent.

500Mbit UNMETERED 4.99 SYS ARM 2TB which CPU is sadly to weak to handle it.

• @hammad said:
    all 6 of my server at OVH.IE , Still not Updated.

I am waiting as well. :)

• I really hope this gets patched to my DO-32 soon.

• justaguyjustaguy Member, Host Rep

it will take a while, ovh has a lot of servers ;)

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited October 2018

In before all the posts asking "Can we do 330TB per month??"

But seriously is there any point in buying Premium bandwidth now?

Didn't OVH add Additional bandwidth options to kick out Seedbox Resellers back in 2013? This is like an open invitation to them all. Makes no sense... If they were trying to grab the disgruntled Online.net clients who cancelled their 16.99euro limited edition servers, increasing SYS bandwidth to 500mbit surely would have been enough? Don't understand why they would go on overselling their whole network? @ninzo59 @wokenwoll

• @sunnyg said:
    In before all the posts asking "Can we do 330TB per month??"

But seriously is there any point in buying Premium bandwidth now?

Didn't OVH add Additional bandwidth options to kick out Seedbox Resellers back in 2013? This is like an open invitation to them all. Makes no sense... If they were trying to grab the disgruntled Online.net clients who cancelled their 16.99euro limited edition servers, increasing SYS bandwidth to 500mbit surely would have been enough? Don't understand why they would go on overselling their whole network? @ninzo59 @wokenwoll

OVH continuously adding new bandwidth either through upgrading their peer bandwidth or build their own network in the last few months.

I think OVH is moving to higher bandwidth like multiple Gbit and 1Gbps/500Mbps become their new lowend/basic. In this tweet Oles said that they preparing to upgrade vRack to 10-25Gbps.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

danninov said: I think OVH is moving to higher bandwidth like multiple Gbit and 1Gbps/500Mbps become their new lowend/basic. In this tweet Oles said that they preparing to upgrade vRack to 10-25Gbps.

400Gbps interfaces rolled into production.

Thanked by 1danninov
  • inb4 @Clouvider

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • I WAS 30 SECONDS LATE!

Thanked by 5Zerpy gol3m wiggl3 FHR eol

@Clouvider said:

danninov said: I think OVH is moving to higher bandwidth like multiple Gbit and 1Gbps/500Mbps become their new lowend/basic. In this tweet Oles said that they preparing to upgrade vRack to 10-25Gbps.

400Gbps interfaces rolled into production.

@Yura said:
    I WAS 30 SECONDS LATE!

(almost) Always happy to share the knowledge ;-).

• I was debating on keeping my SYS dedi. I guess this settles the debate for me.

• Perfect. From now 1G unmetered will become industry standard. Thanks to Hetzner and OVH

Thanked by 2gol3m inklight

@Harud said:
    Perfect. From now 1G unmetered will become industry standard. Thanks to Hetzner and OVH

I don’t think so ;-). I mean in the low end market, probably.

• Wizmap345Wizmap345 Member
    edited October 2018

@Harud said:
    Perfect. From now 1G unmetered will become industry standard. Thanks to Hetzner and OVH

I honestly can't believe we're still on 1gbps.

Residential properties have had 1gbps for years now yet servers are offering the same slow speeds.

They should be offering 5gbps as standard imo.

Having said that - I wish OVH would use their English twitter page equally the same as their FR one when it comes to news. I'm guessing less than 10% of their customers speak/read French considering they are a global supplier..

Marketing 101: Speak the same language as your customers!

Doubling bandwidth is HUGE news, I don't understand why they aren't shouting it from the rooftops. I'd imagine they are bleeding customers to Hetzner every day.

Thanked by 3gol3m NanoG6 yongsiklee
  • @Wizmap345 said:

@Harud said:

Residential properties have had 1gbps for years now yet servers are offering the same slow speeds.

Having said that - I wish OVH would use their English twitter page equally the same as their FR one when it comes to news. I'm guessing less than 10% of their customers speak/read French considering they are a global supplier..

Marketing 101: Speak the same language as your customers!

Doubling bandwidth is HUGE news, I don't understand why they aren't shouting it from the rooftops. I'd imagine they are bleeding customers to Hetzner every day.

Residential area did not use full duplex nor 1:1 ratio..

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

residential has high contention ratio and servers are usually guaranteed network ports

@hostdare said:
    residential has high contention ratio and servers are usually guaranteed network ports

More or less. Depending on the definition. Just how guaranteed depends on how good your dedicated server provider is.

• @Wizmap345 said:

@Harud said:

10 gig cards are expensive and not standard on most mainboards, i think that is a big problem for deploying that large scale on cheap servers.

Lets hope we see soon 10 gbit on most mainboards by default, after that we should see a price drop for 10 gbit port switches with multiple 100 gbit uplinks or 400 gbit because the demand will grow.

• @user54321 said:

@Wizmap345 said:

@Harud said:

10 gig cards are expensive and not standard on most mainboards, i think that is a big problem for deploying that large scale on cheap servers.

Lets hope we see soon 10 gbit on most mainboards by default, after that we should see a price drop for 10 gbit port switches with multiple 100 gbit uplinks or 400 gbit because the demand will grow.

Hopefully we'll see 10gbit soon. There comes a time when the standard has to change. :smile:

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • @hostdare said:

In Germany DSL usually has a guaranteed rate.

@chocolateshirt said:

Residential area did not use full duplex nor 1:1 ratio..

The actual use for servers is probably way more outgoing than incoming (which is why you had to pay only for outgoing traffic at Hetzner until now), so very similar to residential where it's the other way round.

Besides, I have DSL, cable, and FTTH in a regular suburb, so I think it's reasonable to expect a server in a huge datacenter to have a connection that cannot be saturated by my home connection alone.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2018

Wizmap345 said: Having said that - I wish OVH would use their English twitter page equally the same as their FR one when it comes to news. I'm guessing less than 10% of their customers speak/read French considering they are a global supplier..

Actually, you should be glad they have changed their policies as much as they have! Back in the day, for example, to show French pride they would ONLY provide written and phone support in French. Only after they grew a lot did this change to where they now will provide support services in English. However, I would hardly expect them to not show their 'pride' in all their outward social and customer interactions, so I doubt you will see this change very much anytime soon.

I am not saying I agree, I am just saying they have made leaps and bounds to get here, expecting them to outwardly communicate in English and not French may be expecting a little too much.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:

Wizmap345 said: Having said that - I wish OVH would use their English twitter page equally the same as their FR one when it comes to news. I'm guessing less than 10% of their customers speak/read French considering they are a global supplier..

Actually, you should be glad they have changed their policies as much as they have! Back in the day, for example, to show French pride they would ONLY provide written and phone support in French. Only after they grew a lot did this change to where they now will provide support services in English. However, I would hardly expect them to not show their 'pride' in all their outward social and customer interactions, so I doubt you will see this change very much anytime soon.

I am not saying I agree, I am just saying they have made leaps and bounds to get here, expecting them to outwardly communicate in English and not French may be expecting a little too much.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

French are quite prideful of their nationality and language, which makes me wonder how in the hell did Paris become a piss city.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/11/explore-sustainability-paris-public-urination/

• @TheLinuxBug said:

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

Oh I have no issue with them communicating in French that's fine. My issue is they only seem to communicate in French when it comes to news, which is unacceptable considering they are a global company with many clients not speaking French so if they want to gain customers or market share, they'll have to lower the pride a little!

Hetzner is a little better although they send out automated German confirmation emails/texts and default their website as German even though my IP is not - but at least they advertise in English. :wink: