Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low-end dedicated server with integrated graphics
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low-end dedicated server with integrated graphics

Hi LET,

I'm looking for a very low-end box with integrated graphics. I want to use this box for remote desktoping into Windows. My requirement on graphics is put by the need to occasionally run D3D9 applications (nothing too fancy though, any intel graphics works).

Something as low-spec as KS-1 or KS-2 from Kimsufi would do. 2GB of RAM and I think 80 GB of HDD storage is good enough.

I'm looking for something under or near $5/mo if possible.

Thanks.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Budget up and you might actually find something.

• hzrhzr Member

ks-3 or ks-4 will be cheapest in already .

• thelink2012thelink2012 Member
    edited August 2018

@Clouvider said:
    Budget up and you might actually find something.

Sure, I'm open to go a bit up. How much do you think would work?

@hzr said:
    ks-3 or ks-4 will be cheapest in already .

What do you mean?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Update your link to 2018 and you will get it.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Check: https://metadedi.pw/

If you can use any onboard gpu, take the KS1.

Cheapest so far, if you need notifications, we have a ton of ways for that.

Thanked by 2soulorr thelink2012
  • thelink2012 said: Something as low-spec as KS-1 or KS-2 from Kimsufi would do.

Why don't you actually get the KS-1 or KS-2? Join Neoon's discord channel.

• thelink2012thelink2012 Member
    edited August 2018

@Neoon said:
    Check: https://metadedi.pw/

If you can use any onboard gpu, take the KS1.

Cheapest so far, if you need notifications, we have a ton of ways for that.

That's very useful, thanks!

@saibal said:

thelink2012 said: Something as low-spec as KS-1 or KS-2 from Kimsufi would do.

Why don't you actually get the KS-1 or KS-2? Join Neoon's discord channel.

Well, they are always out of stock... It seems very hard to get any of these two boxes.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@thelink2012 said:
    Well, they are always out of stock... It seems very hard to get any of these two boxes.

• Will keep an eye out on your Discord channel, thanks.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

thelink2012 said: Sure, I'm open to go a bit up. How much do you think would work?

For most dedicated servers, the power consumption will be larger than $5 /month.

If you assume power cost $0.12/kwh, and that the provider does not use any sort of cooling, or does not need cooling, then $5 /month would get you about 57watts average.

57 watts is on the lower end of the power consumption scale for most dedicated servers.

A Xeon E3-1230v6 for example will idle at about 50 watts. But being a new server, you won't get that for less than around $50 /month (which would be super cheap).

So what could you get on a tiny budget? Really old and crappy servers, like Core2Duo E6550. This idles at about 72 watts, which means the power is already going to cost more than the $5 budget.

I'm not familiar with ARM based servers. In terms of power consumption, I assume they should be quite good. But I have no idea how useful they would or could be.

A VM would probably be your best bet for anything under $10 /month.

For a dedicated server, there are few places that have electricity rates that are so cheap that $5 can actually run anything worth while. Even if power was $0.05 /kwh, that only gives you 135 watts at $5, which is probably enough for most servers, but still, the 50 wand 72 wats used by the E3 and C2D are the IDLING rates. Under load, they use quite a bit more. And on top of that, there is still the matter of cooling, rack space, network, and other infrastructure.

I know there are some providers doing crazy cheap servers, but for the life of me, I have no idea how. They must have free power, use discarded equipment, and operate out of some abandoned building...

• hzrhzr Member

randvegeta said: I'm not familiar with ARM based servers. In terms of power consumption, I assume they should be quite good. But I have no idea how useful they would or could be.

The ARM stuff I have uses like $4-8/yr in power, the external HDs I use consume more than the ARM server themselves.

Not much useful GPU wise though.

@hzr said:

randvegeta said: I'm not familiar with ARM based servers. In terms of power consumption, I assume they should be quite good. But I have no idea how useful they would or could be.

The ARM stuff I have uses like $4-8/yr in power, the external HDs I use consume more than the ARM server themselves.

Not much useful GPU wise though.

Really? What kind of arm serves are they?

• hzrhzr Member

randvegeta said: Really? What kind of arm serves are they?

RPis, Beagleboards, some random assortment (I found some really cheap banana pi knockoff stuff on aliexpress too)

The beagle itself's power draw claims to be (2 watts) * 1 year =17.5316255 kWh under load, RPis cap around 4W at 100% load, <0.5~1W idle.

Of course this is not very useful for OP's use.

randvegeta said: I know there are some providers doing crazy cheap servers, but for the life of me, I have no idea how. They must have free power, use discarded equipment, and operate out of some abandoned building...

From what I remember, nocix owns the physical building and is located in an area where land costs basically nothing, not really a city that tech/gentrifiers flock to, and pays virtually nothing in power.

OVH and Hetzner automate almost everything, ideally as little human cost as possible, and individual servers on the cheaper lines are central-water-cooled passively or something (there are some YT videos where they're just bare boards), the equipment has long since paid for its lease/purchase, the power is often cheap/subsidised/renewable hydro or something

hzr said: From what I remember, nocix owns the physical building and is located in an area where land costs basically nothing, not really a city that tech/gentrifiers flock to, and pays virtually nothing in power.

OVH and Hetzner automate almost everything, ideally as little human cost as possible, and individual servers on the cheaper lines are central-water-cooled passively or something (there are some YT videos where they're just bare boards), the equipment has long since paid for its lease/purchase, the power is often cheap/subsidised/renewable hydro or something

Owning space does not make it 'free'. We own our own DCs in both HK and LT. In HK, it is still important to factor in the cost of rent, because that is what you lose by not renting our your property. There is always a cost of holding capital.

LT is much cheaper than HK in terms of property, so although our space is much larger, it is also much cheaper, but it is still not free.

In LT, we are experimenting with different ways to cool the DC. It's not easy, but it's certainly possible to get the cooling costs down to a very minimal level. Heat pumps for example can actually help cool the DC, heat some water, and possibly allow to sell the hot water to neighbors (which actually has a lot of potential during cold season).

Still... cannot really imagine selling a full on dedi at $10 /month.... You really need to have near free space, power and cooling just to break even.

• levnodelevnode Member
    edited August 2018

randvegeta said: For most dedicated servers, the power consumption will be larger than $5 /month.

If you assume power cost $0.12/kwh, and that the provider does not use any sort of cooling, or does not need cooling, then $5 /month would get you about 57watts average.

57 watts is on the lower end of the power consumption scale for most dedicated servers.

A Xeon E3-1230v6 for example will idle at about 50 watts. But being a new server, you won't get that for less than around $50 /month (which would be super cheap).

So what could you get on a tiny budget? Really old and crappy servers, like Core2Duo E6550. This idles at about 72 watts, which means the power is already going to cost more than the $5 budget.

I'm not familiar with ARM based servers. In terms of power consumption, I assume they should be quite good. But I have no idea how useful they would or could be.

A VM would probably be your best bet for anything under $10 /month.

For a dedicated server, there are few places that have electricity rates that are so cheap that $5 can actually run anything worth while. Even if power was $0.05 /kwh, that only gives you 135 watts at $5, which is probably enough for most servers, but still, the 50 wand 72 wats used by the E3 and C2D are the IDLING rates. Under load, they use quite a bit more. And on top of that, there is still the matter of cooling, rack space, network, and other infrastructure.

I know there are some providers doing crazy cheap servers, but for the life of me, I have no idea how. They must have free power, use discarded equipment, and operate out of some abandoned building...

Yeah I know your calculatoion, but I still see something which is unbelievable cheap such as WSI or Online.net. I guess they run these offers for some kind of advertisement.

levnode said: Yeah I know your calculatoion, but I still see something which is unbelievable cheap such as WSI or Online.net. I guess they run these offers for some kind of advertisement.

Sure, there are other ways to make money.

These could be loss leaders to drive revenue from other services...

It could just be break even prices to utilize resources that they have to pay for any way...

It could be data collection :D

Who knows.

• holhostholhost Member
    edited August 2018

Hello, what do you mean integrated ?

• @holhost said:
    Hello, what do you mean integrated ?

Uhm, you can't google that?