Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrate from Virtuozzo to Xen or KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrate from Virtuozzo to Xen or KVM

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Does anyone here use the Virtuozzo 'hyper converged' virtualization platform?

Is it possible to migrate to KVM or Xen from Virtuozzo? And by Virtuozzo, I don't mean VZ, so I don't mean containers.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

If it is full virt with a proper partition table and disk images/LV's then yes I imagine you will be able to do a pretty much direct conversion to KVM (Forget Xen), qemu-img convert may even handle it for you.

If you need a hand let me know, sadly I have had a fair bit of experience with this sort of thing.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Comments
    AnthonySmith Administrator, Top Provider
    July 20 edited July 20 FlagThanks
    If it is full virt with a proper partition table and disk images/LV's then yes I imagine you will be able to do a pretty much direct conversion to KVM (Forget Xen), qemu-img convert may even handle it for you.

If you need a hand let me know, sadly I have had a fair bit of experience with this sort of thing.

Did you convert from VZ6 or VZ7?

VZ7 is basically KVM already, but most of my VMs are on VZ6 platform, and I've not even been able to migrate to VZ7.. I can only imagine that migration to KVM would be more difficult.

• Problem is that when you convert from OVZ6, you are moving from a container that lacks the ability to boot on its own (kernel and bootloader are likely missing).

The only way is to get the closest possible ISO, do a fresh install, use as a template and copy over user files. There's no easy way to do this, unfortunately.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

FlamesRunner said: Problem is that when you convert from OVZ6, you are moving from a container that lacks the ability to boot on its own (kernel and bootloader are likely missing).

As mentioned in my initial post:

randvegeta said: And by Virtuozzo, I don't mean VZ, so I don't mean containers.

• Linux-in-a-disk-image can pretty much boot up by itself. If you are migrating across hosts, usually a dd on the LV is all you need.