SuperMicro IPMI Black Screen
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

SuperMicro IPMI Black Screen

andikliveandiklive Member

Hi, previously i use IPMI at virmach to install Debian like year ago and now i want to install Centos 7. after boot and select install and show fews text and then it show black screen instead installation menu. i just want to install centos 7 with minimal and no gnome/kde.

anyone know how to solve this and have experience with it. thanks

Comments

  • FHRFHR Member, Provider
    edited June 12

    Did you try keyboard? E.g. press enter few times

    SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo
    Prague, CZ location coming soon!

  • @FHR said:
    Did you try keyboard? E.g. press enter few times

    already do that, still black screen. but its how gui when select to install centos.

  • levnodelevnode Member

    How long have you wait? Maybe the uploading of iso failed.

    [https://billing.virmach.com/aff.php?aff=2040&pid=127](Virmach affiliate link. E3-1270/32G RAM/ 13IPs /2T for $49 - COUPON SAVE20 for 20% discount).

  • andikliveandiklive Member
    edited June 12

    @levnode said:
    How long have you wait? Maybe the uploading of iso failed.

    almost 1hour, it already show centos install. i think iso uploading successfully.

    after this screen https://prnt.sc/jtuygj its only show black screen.

    i will try using older centos 7 iso.

  • AlyssaDAlyssaD Member

    Have you tried to reload/restart the IPMI Controller?

  • key900key900 Member, Provider

    Try to reboot the IPMI.

    *LetBox.Com Make it Simple, Pure NVMe + Block Storage Boxes!.
  • levnodelevnode Member
    edited June 12

    andiklive said: almost 1hour, it already show centos install. i think iso uploading successfully.

    after this screen https://prnt.sc/jtuygj its only show black screen.

    i will try using older centos 7 iso.

    For your case, it causes by raid cache. Any iso will have the same result. You have to start the iso with disable raid syncing or more simpler, just boot some sort of rescue disk and format the disk (even Windows does).

    [https://billing.virmach.com/aff.php?aff=2040&pid=127](Virmach affiliate link. E3-1270/32G RAM/ 13IPs /2T for $49 - COUPON SAVE20 for 20% discount).

  • thanks @FHR @levnode @AlyssaD @key900 for help.

    i try to reboot IPMI, still, and then try older ISO CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1511.iso and now work. dont know why failed on new build version of ISO. thanks everyone :)

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    Do you use a processor with a graphic card in this server?

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • qpsqps Member, Provider
    edited June 12

    The CentOS 7 graphical installer on SuperMicro E3 systems will generally result in problems. Use VNC installation instead.

    http://www.danpros.com/2016/02/how-to-install-centos-7-remotely-using-vnc

    Thanked by 1andiklive
  • I have always installed Centos 07 in IPMI supermicro and all my servers are E3.

    I have not had that problem.

    but try using VNC and see what happens

  • @Clouvider said:
    Do you use a processor with a graphic card in this server?

    im not using graphic card, just E3 server.

    @qps said:
    The CentOS 7 graphical installer on SuperMicro E3 systems will generally result in problems. Use VNC installation instead.

    http://www.danpros.com/2016/02/how-to-install-centos-7-remotely-using-vnc

    @georgedatacenter said:
    I have always installed Centos 07 in IPMI supermicro and all my servers are E3.

    I have not had that problem.

    but try using VNC and see what happens

    nah provider always have more experience with it, im rarely to install OS if server running in months or years, so i dont know how to install via vnc. im using java console, and on web java always need update even using latest jre and firefox/chrome.

    if this problem occur at least at 2016, why supermicro not patched cause supermicro more popular right now than ex, dell idrac.

  • Can you show a picture of the error or the black screen that shows it?

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    E3 server with what CPU exactly ? Some of them have a graphic card built in - Aspeed IPMI relies on Aspeed graphic card to transmit video; if you have any GPU, including built in the CPU this will prevent IPMI from picking up Video.

    Hope it clarifies.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • @georgedatacenter said:
    Can you show a picture of the error or the black screen that shows it?

    i cant, literally black screen without any text or images.

    @Clouvider said:
    E3 server with what CPU exactly ? Some of them have a graphic card built in - Aspeed IPMI relies on Aspeed graphic card to transmit video; if you have any GPU, including built in the CPU this will prevent IPMI from picking up Video.

    Hope it clarifies.

    Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3, like intel graphics etc right. thanks for give insight. is cloudiver use supermicro ipmi too or have own os installer with raid config.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    We have installer over PXE, capable of RAID, but give access to IPMI when Customer requests :-).

    Thanked by 1andiklive

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • its good for clouvider, every provider should consider to have this feature. that will be an additional value and can save time on customers side. :)

  • FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member

    Its Just a anti-racism feature, No problem

Sign In or Register to comment.