Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SuperMicro IPMI Black Screen
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SuperMicro IPMI Black Screen

Hi, previously i use IPMI at virmach to install Debian like year ago and now i want to install Centos 7. after boot and select install and show fews text and then it show black screen instead installation menu. i just want to install centos 7 with minimal and no gnome/kde.

anyone know how to solve this and have experience with it. thanks

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

Did you try keyboard? E.g. press enter few times

• @FHR said:
    Did you try keyboard? E.g. press enter few times

already do that, still black screen. but its how gui when select to install centos.

• How long have you wait? Maybe the uploading of iso failed.

• andikliveandiklive Member
    edited June 2018

@levnode said:
    How long have you wait? Maybe the uploading of iso failed.

almost 1hour, it already show centos install. i think iso uploading successfully.

after this screen https://prnt.sc/jtuygj its only show black screen.

i will try using older centos 7 iso.

• Have you tried to reload/restart the IPMI Controller?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Try to reboot the IPMI.

• levnodelevnode Member
    edited June 2018

andiklive said: almost 1hour, it already show centos install. i think iso uploading successfully.

after this screen https://prnt.sc/jtuygj its only show black screen.

i will try using older centos 7 iso.

For your case, it causes by raid cache. Any iso will have the same result. You have to start the iso with disable raid syncing or more simpler, just boot some sort of rescue disk and format the disk (even Windows does).

• thanks @FHR @levnode @AlyssaD @key900 for help.

i try to reboot IPMI, still, and then try older ISO CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1511.iso and now work. dont know why failed on new build version of ISO. thanks everyone :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Do you use a processor with a graphic card in this server?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

The CentOS 7 graphical installer on SuperMicro E3 systems will generally result in problems. Use VNC installation instead.

http://www.danpros.com/2016/02/how-to-install-centos-7-remotely-using-vnc

Thanked by 1andiklive
  • georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

I have always installed Centos 07 in IPMI supermicro and all my servers are E3.

I have not had that problem.

but try using VNC and see what happens

• @Clouvider said:
    Do you use a processor with a graphic card in this server?

im not using graphic card, just E3 server.

@qps said:
    The CentOS 7 graphical installer on SuperMicro E3 systems will generally result in problems. Use VNC installation instead.

http://www.danpros.com/2016/02/how-to-install-centos-7-remotely-using-vnc

@georgedatacenter said:
    I have always installed Centos 07 in IPMI supermicro and all my servers are E3.

I have not had that problem.

but try using VNC and see what happens

nah provider always have more experience with it, im rarely to install OS if server running in months or years, so i dont know how to install via vnc. im using java console, and on web java always need update even using latest jre and firefox/chrome.

if this problem occur at least at 2016, why supermicro not patched cause supermicro more popular right now than ex, dell idrac.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

Can you show a picture of the error or the black screen that shows it?

E3 server with what CPU exactly ? Some of them have a graphic card built in - Aspeed IPMI relies on Aspeed graphic card to transmit video; if you have any GPU, including built in the CPU this will prevent IPMI from picking up Video.

Hope it clarifies.

• @georgedatacenter said:
    Can you show a picture of the error or the black screen that shows it?

i cant, literally black screen without any text or images.

@Clouvider said:
    E3 server with what CPU exactly ? Some of them have a graphic card built in - Aspeed IPMI relies on Aspeed graphic card to transmit video; if you have any GPU, including built in the CPU this will prevent IPMI from picking up Video.

Hope it clarifies.

Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3, like intel graphics etc right. thanks for give insight. is cloudiver use supermicro ipmi too or have own os installer with raid config.

We have installer over PXE, capable of RAID, but give access to IPMI when Customer requests :-).

Thanked by 1andiklive
  • its good for clouvider, every provider should consider to have this feature. that will be an additional value and can save time on customers side. :)

• Its Just a anti-racism feature, No problem