Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do some providers who sell cheap VPSes, use conniving tricks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do some providers who sell cheap VPSes, use conniving tricks?

JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
edited May 2018 in General

Okay, this might totally be a coincidence but it seriously popped in my head as something that I should at least ask, lol.

So, if you have seen my recent posts in the cest pit, I was having some trouble with chicagovps. The server was literally offline after it was "successfully provisioned". And so I contacted them and told them this. So they asked me to re-install the OS, etc. And I did, and then after about a day of going back n forth, they finally said "oh there was a bug, would you like us to create/move you to a new server"? Ofcourse my answer is yes.

Which is perfectly normal, and understandable. However, this is where the word conniving comes into play. So when my KVM vps was down with them, I decided to buy another KVM (from a host on the front page). And guess what? Same exact thing, the ip didn't ping back at all. So I made a support ticket, etc and they kinda said the same thing, "please re-install the OS and let us know", etc. Eventually they replied with "seems like there is an issue, would you like us to install/move you to a new server?". Ofcourse, the answer is yes, please!

This has got me thinking... Since the amount was so low, around $2, would I really care if I just not "used the server", after all the problems and just buy a new one? Answer is imo, partially yes. Which is kinda what I did. I bought another one from a different host, because I was just spending too much time with the first one, it became not worth it. But then it hit me, the 2nd host kinda did the same exact thing.

So is this just a wild coincidence, or could it be something some hosts secretly do in hopes of the customer just kinda forgetting about the server and moving on?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@JohnMiller92 said:
    So is this just a wild coincidence, or could it be something some hosts secretly do in hopes of the customer just kinda forgetting about the server and moving on?

If you're meaning like, they hope it will remain down not using any resources, probably not. It's probably outsourced support who doesn't care until the follow up.

• MikeA said: If you're meaning like, they hope it will remain down not using any resources, probably not. It's probably outsourced support who doesn't care until the follow up.

I see, okay that makes much more sense!

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited May 2018

hang around and you will soon see there are too types of cheap shit on here; One is the type from providers who care and are well known, Two is the type who have a history of being shit bags or are new/ unknown hosts.

• Some providers are not very good at it. Don't pick those.

• mkshmksh Member

@JohnMiller92 said:
    I decided to buy another KVM (from a host on the front page).

What do you mean by front page? Might be you managed to buy a VPS with the same provider just using a different brand?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

JohnMiller92 said: chicagovps

JohnMiller92 said: conniving

It's not clear if the typical experience with Chicago VPS is due to conniving or incompetence.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

People don't renew services they are not using. Companies don't get paid if people don't renew. Real companies want clients to use the services they are paying for. Saving resources does not save a company money.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

JohnMiller92 said: So is this just a wild coincidence, or could it be something some hosts secretly do in hopes of the customer just kinda forgetting about the server and moving on?

Well did you ever get the server to work? One plausible read is that both of the servers you bought worked fine and there were no bugs, but you didn't figure out how to do a correct installation, and the support dept followed some generic pattern (tell you to reinstall the OS, offer to move you to a new server) rather than get into a detailed examination of what was going wrong.

You can't expect much from vendor support for products at this level. They are definitely DIY and the support staff aren't engineering consultants. If you haven't set such servers up before, it may take some trial and error. If you're having trouble you might post in the LET help section if you haven't already (I do remember a thread about someone having OS installation trouble, but don't remember if it was yours).

• The services that have been around for 5 years or more with low prices at least tells me they are doing something right....

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@HowLowCanYouGo said:
    The services that have been around for 5 years or more with low prices at least tells me they are doing something right....

From their perspective, sure. But that says nothing about their honesty or lack thereof.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

joepie91 said:

From their perspective, sure. But that says nothing about their honesty or lack thereof.

No idea about OP's second provider. ChicagoVPS has in fact been in some distasteful controversy about its industry shenanigans, but they do deliver an end-user product that for the most part works, modulo performance issues for some users. Handling the performance issues by moving users between servers is a standard practice of theirs, but this doesn't sound like it was a performance issue.

OP, if your VPS didn't work at all, it was either because something was wrong with or because you weren't configuring it properly. Under the "something was wrong with" it theory, moving it to a different server was a reasonable strategy since it's probably a one-off anomaly. If the same thing is wrong on both, it will probably affect a lot more people than just you, and they'd know it from the resulting flood of tickets. So if the 2nd server also doesn't work, that tends to reinforce the "you weren't configuring it correctly" theory.

Providers will usually give some assistance with this through support, and I'd acknowledge that the assistance you got wasn't very good. But at the end of the day it's a self-managed server and teaching you how to set it up isn't part of their job. They cater to a price-sensitive audience that knows what it's doing, and that audience doesn't want to pay for the company to maintain an over-friendly help desk which will be used primarily for the benefit of customers less experienced than themselves.

You'll probably get better support if you move a bit more upscale in the provider ladder.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited May 2018

willie said: OP, if your VPS didn't work at all, it was either because something was wrong with or because you weren't configuring it properly. Under the "something was wrong with" it theory, moving it to a different server was a reasonable strategy since it's probably a one-off anomaly. If the same thing is wrong on both, it will probably affect a lot more people than just you, and they'd know it from the resulting flood of tickets. So if the 2nd server also doesn't work, that tends to reinforce the "you weren't configuring it correctly" theory.

To bold: That's what I originally thought, but at the end of the support ticket (after going back n forth for more than a day, 10 replies in the ticket), they said:

I have tried to reinstall the server again but there is some bug. Can we recreate the server for you?

And ofcourse, I said yes, that's np.

Then, after 4 hours, they replied back:

Shall I terminate current server and set new server for you on different node. Please note that server IP will change and data will be lost.

of which I replied, yes please.

That was on my first provider, CVPS. Then, a similar experienced happened with the second provider. Except they didn't say it was a bug, they said "seems like there is an issue would you like a new server?" or whatever. I ofcourse said yes.

I just have a tiny part of me thinking that there could be a small chance, they could be prolonging the entire process in hopes the end customer might just forget about it and move on. But now I sound like a conspiracy theorist :P. But I was just surprised that it actually did happen with the second host too

It most likely is 100% a coincidence, and MikeA is most likely right haha.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

It sounds like the CVPS support conversation was pretty crappy but certainly not something CVPS did on purpose. That the support rep couldn't get the VPS going might just mean that the rep didn't know what they were doing either.

There's not enough into to assess the quality of the second provider's support.

There are some providers that are basically outright scams or completely incompetent. CVPS is not one of these. I wouldn't call them a good provider, but they have been around for a while and they are a known quantity.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited May 2018

@willie Ironically, I will prob right a review about them after this month tbh. Not a negative one, but i'll mention the initial hiccups ;). However, I'm def getting my money's worth their vps is way snappier than this w00tH0sting one haha

Thanked by 1Nick
  • AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@JohnMiller92 said:
    @willie Ironically, I will prob right a review about them after this month tbh. Not a negative one, but i'll mention the initial hiccups ;). However, I'm def getting my money's worth their vps is way snappier than this WootHosting one haha

Sorry but Sloths are snappier then Woot.