Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I open Golang encoded programs in Windows?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I open Golang encoded programs in Windows?

When I try to open the programs I downloaded, the window immediately closes. How do I open programs written in Golang? The extensions of the programs are in .exe format.

Comments

• UnnoTedUnnoTed Member
    edited March 2018

If it's a .exe just dbl-click, but to see some kind of log: open the command prompt and type in the .exe's path like: C:\MyApp\App.exe or just app.exe if the cmd was opened at the same dir of the .exe.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

kocamanyarrak said: When I try to open the programs I downloaded, the window immediately closes. How do I open programs written in Golang? The extensions of the programs are in .exe format.

Golang compiles to a binary. If someone compiled for windows, then the .exe is just a normal Windows executable. There's nothing special about it having been written in Golang. It's not like Java or Python where you need an interpreter/runtime.

If the window closes immediately, perhaps it's a command-line program?

• The program might be expecting some start parameters and/or switches and there is probably no ReadLine to keep the display up after the program exits. Run the program from the windows command prompt. That should show any messages or errors from the program.

• @raindog308 said:

kocamanyarrak said: When I try to open the programs I downloaded, the window immediately closes. How do I open programs written in Golang? The extensions of the programs are in .exe format.

Golang compiles to a binary. If someone compiled for windows, then the .exe is just a normal Windows executable. There's nothing special about it having been written in Golang. It's not like Java or Python where you need an interpreter/runtime.

If the window closes immediately, perhaps it's a command-line program?

Yes, CLI program.

• @kocamanyarrak said:
    Yes, CLI program.

1. Open a Windows command prompt
    2. Use the cd command to navigate to the folder containing your exe
    3. Type the name of the CLI exe followed by any arguments and press Enter