Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest I could get a dedicated windows server for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest I could get a dedicated windows server for?

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited January 2018 in Requests

As much as I hate windows Nox only runs on that and I heard it's the only emulator that will run snapchat.

I tried all the linux offerings I could get my hands on and non will work on it. Genymotion did for a bit but stopped working now.

Android-sdk no go.

Since nox won't run on a vitualized machine would it work on a dedicated one? I'm not sure. Dedicated ones are still using virtualisation or no?

I don't need good hardware just the bare minimum to run nox.

And for the record I don't have a smartphone. I am against the 'big brother' technology.

Comments

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited January 2018

I think emulators like that would work on a VPS they just need a graphics card, no?

For reference NOX needs 1.5GB RAM+ and a couple cores.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited January 2018

No I tried it on virtualbox and it won't install it said 'cannot run on virtualized machine' or something like that.

You generally can't use emulators on vms becuase they both need the same stuff like hardware virtualisation.

• I suppose that it would be more economical to just buy an old laptop, but it would be worth to get a server for a month just to try it to see if it even worked rather than be lumbered with a laptop if it didn't

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

@lowendguy7 said:
    Since nox won't run on a vitualized machine would it work on a dedicated one? I'm not sure. Dedicated ones are still using virtualisation or no?

A dedicated server is just that, a physical server in a datacenter, no virtualization unless you install a hypervisor on it, so yes, a dedicated server should work for what you need.

• Used online.net in the past. Great prices for dedis. Thanks for reminding.

• Oh shit the 20 euro setup fee makes it not worth it for a test which may well not even work.

• Why dont you use your phone for snapchat though?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

https://www.bluestacks.com/apps/social/snapchat-app-on-pc.html

lowendguy7 said: And for the record I don't have a smartphone. I am against the 'big brother' technology.

That's cute. You think "big brother" needs you to have a smartphone to track you and analyze your every move?

• $7.

• I don't need good hardware just the bare minimum to run nox.

And for the record I don't have a smartphone. I am against the 'big brother' technology.

Nox spawns a persistent process called nox_adb.exe, which is basically a monitoring & telemetry tool that logs an insane amount of non-Nox related information.

The same can be said about Bluestacks & every other cookie cutter emulator. The amount of data gathering that these (mostly) Chinese/Korean firms do is far more than a standard "smartphone"

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited January 2018

It's not far more cos they don't have a spycam and microphone gps etc (sure it has your IP but you can hide that easy).

You can also control software more than you can control hardware. Obfuscation etc.

Yes I find all these softwares disgusting bloatware. It isn't even a case of choosing the lesser evil now as nox is the worst but finding one fucker that will run snapchat with its fort knox security checks.

It seems privacy and using that app are mutually exclusive.

I can't understand how snapchat works on nox and not on genymotion. What is the architecture which makes it so unique? I asked on nox reddit and got some of the worst broken english i have ever been subjected which got me no closer to an answer.

If it didn't work on all emulators then fine but why the most bloated windows only one?

Valid info is extremely sparse on these things.

@Aidan said:

I don't need good hardware just the bare minimum to run nox.

Nox spawns a persistent process called nox_adb.exe, which is basically a monitoring & telemetry tool that logs an insane amount of non-Nox related information.

The same can be said about Bluestacks & every other cookie cutter emulator. The amount of data gathering that these (mostly) Chinese/Korean firms do is far more than a standard "smartphone"
    @Winne said:
    $7.

• @Winne said:
    $7.

Where?

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2018

@lowendguy7 said:

@Winne said:
    $7.

Where?

LET.

debian, thx!

edit: ^ joke LET memes.

Nocix, dacentec, Joe's Datacenter may be best bets for cheap (under $50 and possibly without setup fee) dedicated servers in U.S.

And check Hetzner auction for Germany, and kimsufi and @Ikoula for France for similar pricing..

Installing Windows may be ... tricky if not supported - and depending on licensing quite possibly simply not allowed. But nonetheless possible. Anyway some such as Nocix do seem to offer Windows on some plans. Most of the cheaper Nocix plans are often out of stock - but if you sign up to be notified you might get lucky without waiting too long. (Maybe there are more available towards the beginning of the month following service outage, which Nocix seems to feature every now and then ...)

TL;DR - not much I can think of for "cheap" Windows if you need a dedicated server (due to cost for proper licensing). Also should note that extensive discussion of workarounds to install Windows probably not welcome on LET (as it may involve violation of license and provider T.O.S).

Is it possible there may be other solution via linux dedi with WINE or QEMU? I don't do windows (or snapchat) so have to plead ignorance.

TL;DR 2 - $7, debian thx!

• maybe you can try installing android-x86 on to kvm based vps.

then install airdroid to remote your android via web browser, install snapchat, and voila ... (hope it works)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @kassle said:
    maybe you can try installing android-x86 on to kvm based vps.

then install airdroid to remote your android via web browser, install snapchat, and voila ... (hope it works)

This is a good idea. I prefer PhoenixOS. They have pretty good driver compatibility. All of my HP Drivers just works out of the box. When you got networking up and running , just install TeamViewer and you are good to go. Android on a cloud.

• I said I can't run snapchat on any emulator I tried. If I could have I wouldn't be wanting to use nox (and windows).

@kassle said:

• Kimsufi with joodle’s templates

• @lowendguy7 said:
    I said I can't run snapchat on any emulator I tried. If I could have I wouldn't be wanting to use nox (and windows).

@kassle said:

make sure:

• you did not root the android
    • the timezone should correct, your can't set the android tz to your local tz (ex: US) while the vps ip is offshore (Zimbabwe)
    • the time & date is sync
    • snapchat require google account to be present on the device / system

the above point is summary from https://www.megebyte.com/snapchat-login-temporarily-failed/