Need help - Newbie questions about VPS
Hi everyone. Long time lurker posting for the first time here.
I have been using shared hosting to host my WP blogs for the past years. I have tried more than 10 providers but I am not satisfied with the speed and uptime performance over time. Sometimes, it would take at least 1 minute to upload 1 plugin and then another 1-2 minutes to activate that plugin. As for downtime, the longest one I had was more than 72 hours. The second longest downtime, which was by another provider, was slightly under 24 hours.
I want to learn how to use VPS to host my blogs, so I got myself 3 VPS (2 KVM and 1 OpenVZ) here during BF and have been trying them out using tutorials from DO and a few other online sources. I feel overwhelmed (and confused) by all the tutorials (some are good; some are outdated) and fragmented information online and I have some questions to be clarified.
Here's what I want to do with these VPS.
- VPS #1 (UK location) will be used to host 10 blogs.
- VPS #2 (US location with DDoS-filtered IP address) will be used to host another 9 blogs.
- VPS #3 (AU location) will be used to host another 7 blogs.
Questions about DNS and DDoS protection
1) If I were to get a DDoS-protected DNS for VPS #2, would my websites on that VPS have better DDoS protection since it has both DDoS-filtered IP address and DDoS-protected DNS?
2) If I use a hosted DNS service that allows me to create vanity nameservers with the IP address from VPS #1, can I use these vanity nameservers for the IP addresses of VPS #2 and VPS #3? I understand that I can just update the nameservers within the domain registrars' DNS settings. My concern is regarding the IP addresses. Would using the vanity nameservers of VPS #1 affect the latency of VPS #3? Would there be any lag for my readers in the Asia-Pacific region?
3) In relation to question #2, since VPS #1 does not have a DDoS-filtered IP address, would using its vanity nameservers for VPS #2 negate its DDoS-protection ability?
Questions about failover
4) Is it possible to use the same domain name on 2 or more VPS from different providers and locations, and then get hosted DNS with failover monitoring to create some sort of failover mechanism?
5) I read in DO and Ubuntu Wiki that you can set up high availability with haproxy and keepalived. The terms "floating IP" and "virtual IP" were used in their guides respectively. What is this floating/virtual IP address? Where can I find or get it if I'm not using DO or similar cloud providers?
6) What is your recommendation on creating a high availability environment for WP websites?
I look forward to seeing your expert opinions on these issues. Thank you in advance.