Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full MTA vs SMTP Relay
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Full MTA vs SMTP Relay

Hi All,
In the past I have always done a full postfix install on my VPSes to do relay for things like cron, php webpages, etc, I have then used a smarthost relay...

I saw a discussion the other day about using smaller "relay" type packages

What are the benefits of using something like ssmtp rather than a postfix install?

Thanks

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2017

michaels said: What are the benefits of using something like ssmtp rather than a postfix install?

What are your benefits of using a full Postfix where the simplest nullmailer would suffice?

• What are your benefits of using a full Postfix where the simplest nullmailer would suffice?

I guess that's the question I am asking :) Postfix vs nullmailer vs msmtp

Thanks

• You could also try DMA, I switch back and forth between using ssmtp and dma on my servers (I use my free Sendgrid account to send off all my server notifications to my personal email).

• Long story short: No maintenance beyond initial setup, no waste of RAM for a service that doesn't need to run all of the time. No daemon to worry about, et al. If you only need to be notified via SMTP for local monitoring/etc, there's nothing quite as easy as setting up ssmtp/msmtpd and getting on with life.

• Thanks! I'll give msmtpd a crack :)

• Be aware that the 'nullmailer' may not have a queue (or a queue may require additional setup). If it doesn't, then the mail is a one-shot attempt. If sending fails for any reason the outgoing message gets dropped into a 'deadletter' file.

• I have a weak spot for real MTAs, so I would recommend sendmail. :-D

• @angstrom said:
    I have a spot for real weak MTAs, so I would recommend sendmail. :-D

fix'd.